586,584 active members*
2,669 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

turret won't stop rotating

I have an older Mazak Slant-15 w/ T1 control. When we fire it up in the morning, all is well. After about 20 mins. of running fine (making tool changes) the turret will unclamp when a tool change is called or manually done and keep spinning. The only way to stop it is to hit E-Stop. Shut it down for an hour or so, and the same thing happens after a 20 mins. Replaced the prox. switches on top for the plunger lever, didn't help. Is something getting hot? Hyd.? Any help would be great. thanks

Check voltage power supply. Might be getting weak after it warms up. I have seen this before.

Good Luck !

Your problem is either you have a bad encoder on the back of the turret or the turret index gearmotor is going bad. Both are common problems.

On the T1 the switches are usually independent reed switches, 2 for each position, rather than the reed switches in the encoder type enclosure.
    If you have the hard copy of the ladder with the I/O H#'s. you can look at the switch closure status on the Diagnostic screen by plugging in the H address, usually if you enter 0 address you will get the first 4 address registers that cover the reed switches.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

you need to find the input adresses for the encoder, slow down and stop switches for the turret, on the check page check out what inputs are active for each station normally and then what happens to these inputs when it "windmills" around. my suspicion is a proximity switch or turret count switch is faulty.

possibly the angle encoder is losing an input bit or the bit is staying on, but this should give you a parity error on screen.

Are you sure the rotate relay is not sticking on, this could keep the turret going around, also same thing if hyd valve is sticking.

On the T1 with independent reed switches the first switch that is arrived at is the pocket position switch 1-8 etc the second is the in position switch and each odd number switches are common and so are each even number, they are alternated by the T02 relay and can be read usually by the eight bits 0-7 of H1 as the turret positions, and H3 #6 & #4, with #4 being the odd/even switch.
    Bit #6 IIRC is the clamp switch.
    Take the back cover off the turret will tell you right away what type switches you have.
    If you have the discrete reed type, they can be tested with a magnetic pick-up wand.
    Al.

Albert E.

Question Possible corrosion?

I have encountered this problem on our M5's a few times. I am impressed with the electronic knowledge posted about this. I will save this info. for future issues of this sort. You may also want to check the mechanical "Plunger rod"(Not sure of its proper name)? between the switch and the turret. With age, the seals allow moisture or coolant to get there and it will form rust, thus preventing it from contacting the switch. Unfortunately it requires removing the turret and whatever else is concealing it.

you guys were right. I had a hyd valve sticking. Thanks!

SPINDLE DOESN'T RUN

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    On the T1 with independent reed switches the first switch that is arrived at is the pocket position switch 1-8 etc the second is the in position switch and each odd number switches are common and so are each even number, they are alternated by the T02 relay and can be read usually by the eight bits 0-7 of H1 as the turret positions, and H3 #6 & #4, with #4 being the odd/even switch.
    Bit #6 IIRC is the clamp switch.
    Take the back cover off the turret will tell you right away what type switches you have.
    If you have the discrete reed type, they can be tested with a magnetic pick-up wand.
    Al.
    HELLO ALL,
    COULD YOU PLEASE HELP ME WITH MY SLANT TURN 15 MAZATROL T1.
    THE SPINDLE CAN NOT RUN IN MANUAL MODE BUT IT WORKING IN AUTO MODE.
    WHAT IS THE PROBLEM ?????

PLEASE HELP YOU ARE THE BEST ONE SOLVE THE MAZAK I SEEN ON THIS FORUM.

THANK YOU.

turret won't stop rotating

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear all
    I have an older Mazak Slant-15 w/ T1 control. When we fire it up in the morning, all is well. After about 20 mins. of running fine (making tool changes) the turret will unclamp when a tool change is called or manually done and keep spinning. The only way to stop it is to hit E-Stop. Shut it down for an hour or so, and the same thing happens after a 20 mins. Replaced the prox. switches on top for the plunger lever, didn't help. Is something getting hot? Hyd.? Any help would be great. thanks

in mazak T1 has 4 or 5 proximy switches (no encoder)
    check it

Quote Originally Posted by tonny2105 View Post
    HELLO ALL,

THANK YOU.
    Could it be that you didn't MDI a gear number first?

speak quietly too, please

Quote Originally Posted by tonny2105 View Post
    HELLO ALL,

THANK YOU.
    I missed this to answer it when it was posted.
    But you are better off to start a new thread instead of tacking an unrelated issue!!
    Al.

Albert E.