586,069 active members*
3,847 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Z load on vf-3

I just got a 2006 vf-3 when it is not moving it is at 50 to 60 percent load on z axis when it is moving it goes down is this normal
    thanks Mike

I'm not a tech but it has to be the servos holding the weight of the spindle up. When it moves down it's working with gravity and just slowing it down so you get lower load. BTW we have a VF-2 and it's the same.

Quote Originally Posted by mls View Post
    I just got a 2006 vf-3 when it is not moving it is at 50 to 60 percent load on z axis when it is moving it goes down is this normal
    thanks Mike
    Yes it is the weight of the head being carried by the servo.

Do you know if the machine has the Power Failure Detection Module Installed?

Without this module on some machines when the power goes of the spindle will drop anything up to 0.1". This happens because the magnetic brake on the servo clamps down to slowly when the servo loses power.

Watch the position display when you hit Estop and see if the spindle drops. Have someone watch the spindle when the power is shut off at the back of the machine and when the power is turned off at the panel breaker.

If the spindle drops with any of these you need the module, otherwise if you have a power outage during a long job you have probably lost a tool and the part.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Thanks Geof, now I know what to ask for next time we get a Haas. We've lost power once and it did scrap the part and the tool. I didn't know they had a solution. The Matsuuras I ran in a previous job didn't do this (great machine).

The module can be retrofitted at a cost of about $500 -$600. I had it done on one machine.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

thank you for that info I have been busy and did not thank you sooner
    thanks mike