585,761 active members*
3,975 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > G-Code Programing > Anyone familiar with Fanuc canned cycles?

Anyone familiar with Fanuc canned cycles?

Asked this on another forum, but will ask here also. Thanks

We have a CMS with a Fagor control, and a few old manual Hardinge lathes retro fitted with Fagor controls. Only programming manual I have says CNC 8025 T, TS. They are quite the pain when you are use to programming Fanuc controlled machines for the most part.

I am having trouble with the G83 drill cycle. This is what I have.

N100G0M8M50 (DRILL)
    N110G97S1200M3
    N120X0Z.5F.0025T10.10
    N130P0=K0 P1=K0 P4=K1.165 P5=K.167 P6=K.5
    N140P15=K.2 P16=K.2 P17=K.02
    N150G83

According to the manual (and the picture example) P6 "...defines the distance to the part from the point where the tool ends the positioning approach." I take this to be a rapid move (positioning approach). Instead program is feeding from Z.5.

Example shows P16 as being the incremental distance the tool rapids away from each ending feed point while P17 is the "distance between the bottom of the previous penetration and the point where the tool ends the rapid approach for a subsequent penetration."

To me these statements (and picture example) mean that I should get results like this: From X0Z.5 rapid to Z0 (has a nice 90 deg. spot drill), feed in to Z-.167, rapid to .033 (-.167+.2), dwell .2 sec., rapid to Z-.147, feed to Z-.334, etc.

Instead it rapids back .02 (I assume, since move is too short to catch a distance), and then feeds in the .167 depth. Tried reversing the values in P16 & P17, but that didn't work.

Any help greatly appreciated. I managed to get the G68 cycle working with one exception. If I put a value in P7 (Finishing stock allowance along X axis), it alarms. At least I can get the threading cycle to work right!

I can't help because I've never seen that style before but I do think you might have a mistaken preconception.

You said "To me these statements (and picture example) mean that I should get results like this: From X0Z.5 rapid to Z0 (has a nice 90 deg. spot drill), feed in to Z-.167, rapid to .033 (-.167+.2), dwell .2 sec., rapid to Z-.147, feed to Z-.334, etc.".

I've always seen the dwell happen at the bottom, not the top. I believe its to clean up and make consistent the depth or spot.

It also appears that the P6=K.5 is just like the R move, so it's doing just what you told it. To rapid to Z.5 and start drilling. Maybe? Now I'm curious. Can you post us and tell us what you find?
    Chris

Above Fanuc should read Fagor canned cycles. Sorry for

the slip up. Didn't realize until today that I had written Fanuc instead of Fagor.

try putting the G83 before P0, and G80 in place of your current G83

Will give it a try, but it won't be for awhile. Machine is set up, I'm on vacation next week, & this week I'm getting programs piled on me to be ready before I go.

Thanks for the help.

Type in G83 and then press the help key.... fill in the blank from their with a graphic assist screen. This works for all canned cycles on all Fagor CNC's.

As a note, your code below has the G83 and the end.... you need to start of your block with the G83 and then the appropriate cycle data behind it. G80 indicates to the cnc to cancel the cycle.

The first time you go through a cycle, read the manual closely, its all logical, you'll get it.... however, I will say, you have an old CNC.... the 8025 was designed back in the 80's.... but, it is a little workhorse control, albeit small and compact.

Quote Originally Posted by Fagor - Todd View Post
    Type in G83 and then press the help key.... fill in the blank from their with a graphic assist screen. This works for all canned cycles on all Fagor CNC's.

As a note, your code below has the G83 and the end.... you need to start of your block with the G83 and then the appropriate cycle data behind it. G80 indicates to the cnc to cancel the cycle.

The first time you go through a cycle, read the manual closely, its all logical, you'll get it.... however, I will say, you have an old CNC.... the 8025 was designed back in the 80's.... but, it is a little workhorse control, albeit small and compact.
    Thanks. Didn't know about using the HELP. Never gave it a thought. Will give it a try Monday if I have time. Other programmer is starting a 2 week vacation, so not sure if I'll have the time. We not only program, but help with setups, troubleshooting, etc.