586,437 active members*
3,851 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Please Help!! Simple 3-D part not so simple for me

Please Help!! Simple 3-D part not so simple for me

Hello,
    I have a 3-d part to machine and am already late on it. All it consists of is a pocket with tapered walls. I can contour it but don't know how to finish the pocket. When I try to pocket it gives me a "Boundary does not lie in the construction plane." I saw another thread on this error but couldn't make it relate to my part. I'm uploading the picture of the part. I would very much appreciate any help on this.

Thank you,

Doug
    Attached Files Attached Files

What level of Mastercam do you have?

Mastercam 9.0

Thanks

OK - But do you have Mill Level 1, Mill Level 2 or Mill Level 3. That determines what type of 3D paths you are able to use.

Sorry it took me so long. It's mill level 3

can you use a tapper end mill on walls?

I have Mill Level 2, so I don't have as many options as you have. I created surfaces from your drawing, then I used a multisurface finish parallel toolpath to machine the pocket using a ball end mill. Not knowing the material that you are machining or the allowed radius in the corners it gets a little tough to tell you exactly how to do it. I can email you what I have done to show you.

Yes, Please. I'm assuming by the little time it took you that this should have been an easy thing for me to do!! I think I need a lot more practice on this 3-d.

Thank you very much.

[email protected]

Thank you , Tim. I really appreciate your help on this.

No problem - If it turns out looking pretty good, you should post a picture.

Some of the best 3D toolpaths atr under Toolpath - Next Menu - Wireframe. Those are what we used to make molds in V2 & V3 Mastercam (1989-1990). They are quite powerful and almost no one ever uses them.

I did a whole set of training videos on them to show Level 1 & Level 2 users what can be done with a basic package.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

boundary not in construction plane

I have this same problem --- drew a cube in solidworks with a cubic pocket in the middle of the top face. when I try a pocket toolpath I get 'the boundary does not lie in the constuction plane' error --- I am stymied!

HI..
    I am sameer

I want to suggest you to draw sketch in solidworks where your X 0.00, Y 0.00 should be in center of your sketch.
    your wokr piece orgin should be in center

I too have the same problem, "boundary does not lie in the construction plane"
    All I am trying to do, is to import a simple SW model, i.e. a cube with a pocket, and create G codes, without using the 2D toolpath function, but Solids. The tutorial doesn't cover that on page 564 MastercamX.

Problem:
    Solidworks users draw in the Front Plane.
    Mastercam's default toolpath plane is Top.

Change your Cplane and Tplane to Front, do your toolpath and it will work fine.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More

I agree with Mike. Most of the time the Tplane and Cplane must agree.

Well Tplane and Cplane dont have to agree with each other. You can be drawing on the right side and machining on the front.

TPlane has to agree with the face you want to machine. If your pocket is on the front, set your TPlane to the Front and then you can pick your pocket, drill your holes... whatever.

CPlane = Construction Plane (where do I want to draw).
    TPlane = Tool Plane (where do I want to machine).

Mike Mattera