586,121 active members*
3,758 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Setting depths in Lazycam

I am using Lazycam 3.00.2. Importing a simple DXF which I need to cut in multiple passes. (4.5mm cut in passes of .5mm)
    I have set a tool with .5mm cut per pass.
    I am trying to set the cut depth and can't find a way that works consistently.
    Setting Rapid Height, Cut Start and Cut Depth in Layers tab doesn't seem to work (I have tried -ve and +ve numbers in there) and the numbers are sometimes overwritten inexplicably. Resultant Gcode is simply one pass usually at Z=0.

If I use the Set Depth option for the whole chain this sometimes changes the Cut Depth in "Layers", sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes then the resultant Gcode output shows multiple passes, sometimes it doesn't. When it does it also inserts an extra line before each pass where the Z is dropped to the maximum "Set Depth". Somtimes the Extents change to show the Set Depth as the min Z, sometimes they don't. Sometimes an etirely unexplained number appears in the extents.

Overall a bit confusing to me.

Can someone explain how to use the Layers tab and the Set Depth option properly?

Thanks

Are you hitting the "enter" key after typing in the new numbers? If so, when all else fails, try downloading the program again. Otherwise I haven't a clue because it sounds like you're doing the right things...

Good luck,
    Mike

Thanks Mike. Re-installed and now it seems to work!

I had the same problem. I got mine to work by entering the depth in the layer screen like this, (say you want to cut 1/4" deep) starting with the neg. sign and then 0.250. So in all its -0.250. Set to the layer or all layers and post. There is a screen that pops up and it has a setting about mid page that was on a default of 5, I set it to 0 and it worked great. Sorry I can't remember what the setting was for and I'm not at the machine now. See if you can find it, if you can't I can check it for you tomorrow.

Dan

Dan,

Thanks for your post. I assume you were referring to the Plunge Clearance. That seems to add to the Rapid Height for all but the first plunge in the Gcode so I have since set that to 0 and just used the Rapid Height alone.

Still not sure what the "Set Depth" command actually does. It doesn't seem to allow for direct data entry.

Kinda related to this, has anyone figured this one:

To date I have been using negative Z to cut into my workpiece, i.e. home is zero, then I might go to, say Z-10, to cut the material. Is there a way of getting LazyCam to output -ve Z distances like this?

Since I'm new to all this, it's not too late to change my ways and reverse my Z axis in Mach 3!

What's normal for Z direction?

Richster

Yes Lazycam will give -ve Z code. That is the normal setup for Z.

Once you have imported your DXF file, choose a chain you wish to cut and in the Info screen below choose a tool (this will include settings for maximum depth cut per pass) and then to the right of this choose your safe Z, cut start (z=0 in your example) and desired depth as a -ve (eg -5 for 5mm cut). Click Send to Layer (or All Layers).

When you Post Code, Lazycam will output code for multiple passes at the max depth per pass specified with your tool until the cut reaches the 5mm depth you have specified.