586,089 active members*
3,871 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Motors not moving

Some one weld over the table and blew the breakoutboard (C10 cnc4PC) I changed it now i have control of the limits and Estop. but motors don´t spin. All drivers have the red led on, power supply tested, (both 24v and 5v) motors tested in other machine and also tried a new one. but motors don´t spin. The dro moves but looks like there is no connection witht he drivers.
    How can I test if the drivers recive the signal and send it to motors (multi meter??)
    Thanks
    Luis

Quote Originally Posted by lamicron View Post
    Some one weld over the table and blew the breakoutboard (C10 cnc4PC) I changed it now i have control of the limits and Estop. but motors don´t spin. All drivers have the red led on, power supply tested, (both 24v and 5v) motors tested in other machine and also tried a new one. but motors don´t spin. The dro moves but looks like there is no connection witht he drivers.
    How can I test if the drivers recive the signal and send it to motors (multi meter??)
    Thanks
    Luis
    What drivers are you using? Might get a better answer if that was known.

He is running a Plasma table using Keling 8078 drivers with N34 1160 oz Keling motors. Something is causing the driver protection to kick in. Maybe this excerpt from the Keling manual will help:

11. Protection Functions
    To improve reliability, the driver incorporates some built-in protections features.
    Over-voltage protection
    When power supply voltage exceeds +96VDC, protection will be activated and power indicator
    LED will turn red. When power supply voltage is lower than +22VDC, the driver will not works
    properly.
    Over-current Protection
    Protection will be activated when continuous current reaches to 14A.
    Short Circuit Protection
    Protection will be activated in case of short circuit between motor coils or between motor coil and
    ground.

Wrong Motor Connection Protection
    Protection will be activated when the motor is connected in a wrong way.
    When above protections are active, the motor shaft will be free or the LED will turn red. Reset the
    driver by repowering it to make it function properly after removing above problems.
    Attention: Since there is no protection against power leads (﹢,﹣) reversal, it is critical to make
    sure that power supply leads correctly connected to driver. Otherwise, the driver will be damaged
    instantly.

CR.

Just a thought: You are using drivers cabable of handling 80 volts and motors capable of handling 70 volts--Yet your power supply is only 24 volts? These motors are underpowered at best. You should be running with at LEAST 48 volts. Your are BARELY feeding the drivers enough juice to keep running.

Maybe the power supply is damaged and not producing a full 24 volts--Or somehow less voltage is powering the drivers. If less than the 22 volt MINIMUM is getting to the drivers--The red fault LED will be on.

CR.

No , the machine I´m talking about is 24 v power supply with kelling 4030 drivers and 495 oz nema 23 motors, the breakoutboard is a C10 cnc4pc, we replaced the C10 already . In the other machine (that one is 80v power supply, 8078 drivers) i checked the motors, but can´t check there the drivers (24v), I ´ve already try 2 Pc´s but as said before it looks like no connection between Pc and motors.

Did you forget to apply 5volts to the enable pin on the C10 board

External Enable Pin (EN). The board has a pin that allows you to enable/disable all the outputs at once. The board requires +5vdc in the EN pin. If it is not present, it will send all the outputs to ground.

Data Pins

2 D0
    3 D1
    4 D2
    5 D3
    6 D4
    7 D5
    8 D6
    9 D7

Those datapins are TTL level output pins. This means that they put out ideally 0V when they are in low logic level (0) and +5V when they are in high logic level (1). In real world the voltages can be something different from ideal when the circuit is loaded. The output current capacity of the parallel port is limited to only few milliamperes.

When you jog a axis the pin should go high.

Lamicron,

Please let me know what you find wrong.

Jeff...

No, this machine has 495 oz, 4030 drivers, 24 volts power supply, from Krlling and C10 breakoutboard from CNC4PC, I´ve tried 2 PC´s no results, looks like there is no comunication between pc and drivers, . Check the motors in the other machine, (80V, power supply, ) but cant check there the drivers...
    Luis

Sorry for the double post::
    The C10 breakoutboard has a jumper to change from com=ground to com= +5v I tried it both ways already.
    If the led is on in the drivers it means that is ok , isn´t it?
    I´ve checked the 25 pin data cable also ,
    Thanks
    Luis

Quote Originally Posted by lamicron View Post
    If the led is on in the drivers it means that is ok , isn´t it?
    NO. The Red LED means something is WRONG and the drivers are in FAULT mode. Tomorrow, you should call John about this.

CR.

I´ve got another power supply and 2 drivers from a friend , going to check tomorrow.
    Thanks for te help
    Luis

If you use the mach3 configure as this : http://www.kelinginc.net/Mach3Tutorial.doc
    Ports and Pins under the Config Menu, Remember to click Sherline ½ Pulse mode

Ok, rechecked everything and try again ... nothing, then check the sherline box and that´s it!!!! Machine is working now !
    The two machines were set the same way without checking sherline box , as mach manual says, why is this machine now not working with out it? I´don´t know , but many thanks to John and all the others coming to the thread..
    Ah! The red led in the driver is OK, in the 4030 in the 8078 driver the led is green.
    Thanks
    Luis