586,100 active members*
2,716 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Looking to by CNC Benchtop mill

Looking to by CNC Benchtop mill

I am looking into purchasing a CNC Mill. I am currently looking at the CNC Masters Jr. Mill.
    Anyone out there have any suggestions as to whether this is a good Idea or not. In other words any better suggestions for a bench top cnc system. The pricing of this mill seems to be the best that I've seen. But I've also seen a post where the customer service was not the best.

K2CNC........nufsaid.

I own the 2514. And am very happy with it.

A more difficult question would be, what is a worse cnc system for the price. A round column is not a good starting point for spending 2 times the value of the base mill on the CNC conversion. If you already own a round column and are thinking of converting to CNC is one thing, buying a round column already converted to CNC for USD 5,400 is quite another. 5" of z-axis travel combined with the round column kills it stone dead. A CNC Masters Jr. with spindle control is USD 6,550, a Tormach is USD 6,800. You would need to be crazy to buy the round column.

An IH, Tormach, X3 or SmithyCNC would be a much better point to start your research.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by vtracer View Post
    I am looking into purchasing a CNC Mill. I am currently looking at the CNC Masters Jr. Mill.
    Anyone out there have any suggestions as to whether this is a good Idea or not. In other words any better suggestions for a bench top cnc system. The pricing of this mill seems to be the best that I've seen. But I've also seen a post where the customer service was not the best.

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    A more difficult question would be, what is a worse cnc system for the price. A round column is not a good starting point for spending 2 times the value of the base mill on the CNC conversion. If you already own a round column and are thinking of converting to CNC is one thing, buying a round column already converted to CNC for USD 5,400 is quite another. 5" of z-axis travel combined with the round column kills it stone dead. A CNC Masters Jr. with spindle control is USD 6,550, a Tormach is USD 6,800. You would need to be crazy to buy the round column.

An IH, Tormach, X3 or SmithyCNC would be a much better point to start your research.

Phil
    I have a round column mill/drill that I have thought about converting and I would have to agree with Phil, the potential results don't justify the effort or expense.

Alan

What do you think of the CNC Baron and its software: http://www.cncmasters.com/cncbaron.html ?

Has anyone dealt with the company?

Quote Originally Posted by kanton View Post
    What do you think of the CNC Baron and its software: http://www.cncmasters.com/cncbaron.html ?

Has anyone dealt with the company?
    If I was going to spend that much money, I would definitely be looking at the Tormach PCNC 1100 and the Industrial Hobbies machine (either machine and CNC Kit or Ready to run).

Alan