586,114 active members*
3,206 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Howdy, from central Texas

Howdy, from central Texas

Just found this site a few days ago. I recently began researching how to build my own do-it-yourself CNC router or plasma table. I am currently making a few automotive aftermarket products for classic muscle cars, and I want to automate the process I go through now using typical hand and power tools.

I would appreciate any help or ideas. I'll try to study up a little more on the major components so I can ask reasonably intelligent questions in future posts.

A little bit about me...
    I'm almost 51 years old. I work for a heavy construction company as an estimator, and I am an expert AutoCAD operator. I also had about 16 years experience in civil engineering before going into construction. My wife of 30 years (only one) and I have two sons, one is 23 and one is 19. The younger one will start attending Texas A&M University this fall studying mechanical engineering, but I can't wait three years for him to help me with this project, so I'll be counting on you guys.

More later,
    Jerry

Welcome

Hi Jerry

Welcome aboard. I've only been in this CNC thing for about a year. I'm an electronic engineer by trade. I have a manufacturing business called Solar Score. http://www.SolarScore.com
    I live in the Vancouver, Canada area.
    If you have AutoCad experience then your ahead of the game.
    Most of us use Mach3 to send our DXF or HPLT files to our CNC machines. What size are you planning to build? I've built a 2' x 3' table router and next I'm building a 5' x 12' one for my production department.
    If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me. [email protected]

John Barnes

Hello, John. Thanks for the reply. That 2'x3' table sounds just about right for the size I need. I'll send you an e-mail to fill you in on what I have going.

Jerry

Hi!

I'm brand new on the forum, but also located in Central Texas (Killeen). Are there any local groups in the area?

Bob