586,069 active members*
3,619 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Haas Renishaw Probe, Files problem??
Page 1 of 2 12

Haas Renishaw Probe, Files problem??

Got the OTS tool setter and probe set up in our mill. Came from the factory with it but just now got it up and running.

Have a problem with the Renishaw program that is in our mill I think it was setup for a tool holder that has 29 tools in it. Our VF-2 has a 20 holder tool changer.

I edited the program and changed T#29 to T#20 and that got us farther in it but not everytime we run a VQC checking program, it changes to tool one for some reason. When our probe is in tool pocket #20.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

When you do the calibration programs in the VQC menu they ask what tool pocket the probe will be in. I think the answer to that question during the calibration routine sets the default probe pocket number.

Vern

Did the calibration through the WIPS screen not the VQC screen, selected pocket 20 for it. I been having trouble with using the WIPS screen. Maybe I need to calibrate it through VQC??

I've never found IPS to be of much help. However, you will have to be sure the VQC macros have been installed on your machine. They are very simple to use and from what I've read on this forum far superior to the IPS screens.

Press "edit" then press PRGRM/CONVRS in the Display section 3 times. This should bring up VQC. To get to the Renishaw macros press F2 and scroll or hand wheel to the bottom of the list, then back up 5 rows to O09996. Press enter and you should have the Renishaw macro screen.

If you don't have O09996 in your list of VQC screens you will have to get them from Haas.

Vern

WIPS Setup

mgb1974,

Prior to using the WIPS system it needs to be calibrated. Both the tool setter and the spindle probe.

Did the HAAS tech set these up for you during your install? That should have been part of the install.

There are 3 programs you need to run in VQC (the screen Vern directed you to) for the calibration process. The first macro is for calibrating tool setter. The second macro is for calibrating the probe (this is where you put in the tool number where the probe will reside). The third is for calibrating the X Y axis. You will need a precision ring gauge approximately 2 inch or larger diameter to run this program. It gets mounted anywhere on the table with a couple of clamps to make sure it doesn't move during the calibration process. Just make sure you have the proper clearance for the probe to move back in forth inside the bore without any interference.

I just reset my probe yesterday so this if still pretty fresh in my 62 year old brain.

Hope this was of addtional help.

John

Thanks for the help.

I did all the install, For some reason our company doesnt let Haas setup the machines they order from them. Dont ask me why!

HAAS Install

I was very fortunate. Our HFO has some very efficient, highly qualified and friendly service technicians. The service technician that set up my machine was Extremely helpful and answered all my questions ( I am a newbie so I had plenty) and did a perfect setup of my machine. Also, after the fact I have called him with a few questions and he was also helpful on those occasions.

Mike you are the man!

John

Talking

I just deleted the tool call completely from the Renishaw pgm (#9023 I think?) so that it uses the probe in whatever position you have it in when the pgm is called. I had exactly the same problem as you did after a software upgrade last year. Drove me crazy for a while.

Over writing Renishaw variables

We had trouble with our first Renishaw probe because we were using Macros in other programs that overwrote Macro values Renishaw was using. We changed all our in house Macro programs to start with #600 and our problem was solved. Evidently Renishaw doesn't use any Macro variable above #599.
    We have the wireless probe on our last mill and our operaters love it.

If using IPS make sure you use RENIPS.V26 otherwise theres all sorts of problems and bugs with potential crashes contact your HFO to get latest files.
    T#29 is a macro statment, look in #29 to see what toolnumbers being called up and if necesary change it, rather than delete it!!!

If you are using Haas VQCPS, then really you should use the Probe Qualification cycle which asks for a tool number - this then populates #560!
    #560 is then used to populate #29 when other VQC cycles (which call program 9023) are used.

If you have bypassed the Probe Qualification cycle, then you need to amend #560.

I am developing further VQC probing cycles which can be used for part inspection and printing as well as updating a differnt work offsets from the active one. They can be incorporated into programs and do not need the machine to be jogged to a position prior to the cycle.

why is this a problem?

Soooo, if I have deleted the macro tool call then I call the pgm to probe a boss for instance, then why would there be a problem? I position the probe prior to calling the probe pgm that I need. It then runs that pgm regardless of the tool# since I have eliminated the tool call in the macro pgm. Why would there be a problem eliminating a needless tool call? I have been using this method for about a year now to probe round silicon parts for double side beveling on a vacuum fixture. No problems whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by OldReliable View Post
    Why would there be a problem eliminating a needless tool call?
    There's no problem as long as you already have the probe in the spindle and are hand jogging to the right position. There is a problem if you are "adding to a current program" which is a VQC option. The machine would try and measure the part with your active cutting tool - never good! Do you only use the probe to update work offsets, or do you do some process monitoring?

seriously if you use IPS for your probing ensure youve got the latest macros- renips.v26
    If not you will have problems.

Cool

I just recently started using Renishaw tool probe on a Haas VF3. I did the calibration in vqc as well and it does set the default tool pocket for the probe. I also use the vqc for setting my offsets and it has been working great for me so far, for what its worth.
    Good luck

We are having this same problem where it tries to change out the Renishaw probe instead of leaving it in the spinle as tool 1. We cant figure out how to edit the subprogram or rest this tool number. Which menus are these mods in?

I generally leave the probe in the last pocket (T20 in my case). I don't like T1 because the machine always parks and restarts with that tool.

If I read your post correctly, it's going for some other pocket number. That's a good thing: it means that you have the later version of the probing cycles. The first versions all required it to be T1.

The place that all gets set is in the probe calibration routines. When you first set the probe, it will ask you which pocket number and the length of the probe & tip assy. That's where the tool number gets stored for the other probing routines.

Edit: ahh...I just saw your other post. You've got posts all over the place and it's hard to address all of your questions. You've got a side mount tool changer. Yeah, it's doing exactly what it should be doing. You should put it back into T24.

You don't use a presetter for the length. You use the probing routine for calibration. You can enter the tool length It loads the values into macro locations for later use. You'll need a bore of known diameter. I bought a ring gauge because I didn't have a good enough inside micrometer to trust it for my master calibration.

You also shouldn't use a tool presetter if you're using the probing. Use the TS27 presetter or don't try to use the system at all (stick to your preset values). It's a very good system if you use all of it. You're making life twice as hard if you're mixing preset tools and the probing.
    Greg

Where to start, First off thanks for your help

I am getting closer to getting this figured out, It is just slow going without any documentation.

I will list what I have done so far

1) I put a .5 inch dowel in a solid tool holder and set it from the top of the flange to 5" then I calibrated the toolsetter by entering
    5" length
    .5 DIA
    side to side ? 1"

Then I wrote the file to MDI and ran it, it touched off then went to the left and the right of the toolsetter and finished the cycle.

My fear is I just calibrated the toolsetter to and unknown point with the 5" dowel.

2) I put the touchprobe in the spindle and made sure I was in tool position 24, this is the same position I used for the dowel length. I selected the macro Spindle probe z cal off TS27 R, then I wrote the file to MDI and ran it.

3) I set the tool height for a .25 EM in the tool height section it came down and touched off 3 times and them spun backwards and measured the Diameter.

4) I installed the touchprobe and put it .4 above the work and ran the Z height macro it touched off 3 times and set my Z

Then I ran a simple pocket routine, the depth came out .220 deeper that I wanted.

When you first set the probe, it will ask you which pocket number and the length of the probe & tip assy. That's where the tool number gets stored for the other probing routines.

? I have not seen this is it in the Probe CAL, am I missing something

Sorry, it's so long since recalibration that I forget all the steps. I think it actually got the master length and diameter from the routine with the 0.5" dowel.

Did you load the probe and do a tool length touch-off to the TS27 presetter? Do that after the dowel diameter step, then try touching off your Z surface with the probe.

I'll bet the 0.220" is the difference between your 0.5" dowel height and the probe height. Knowing that isn't important but that's probably the difference.

To check it out, touch off of a known surface, then write a short program to go down to G54, Z1.0 and see if a 123 block will slide in between.
    Greg

Well I went through the calibration again but still I am out of step on something, Just for a sanity check I set my XYZ zero with an edgefinder and then I loaded tool 1 and set that to in my tool offset with a 2" guage block then wrote a program to mill a circle at 0 then -.005 Perfect.

Now Back to the Toolsetter and Probe

I am sure that you are correct with the assumption that there is a difference between the dowel and the probe.

I just cant figure out how the master height is set off of a random .5" pin in a tool holder
    it just seems like I m missing something real simple in the calibration process.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12