586,106 active members*
2,918 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Build a workbench for a milling machine
Page 1 of 2 12

Build a workbench for a milling machine

I'm building a garage workbench on a budget on which I plan to keep the Sieg X3 which has a net weight of 135Kg.

I'd like some opinions on whether the bench looks sturdy enough to take this sort of constant weight:

Made from Redwood and MDF table top.

Have you perhaps built a table for your milling machine?

V

I would say that the frame looks sturdy enough, but the mdf top might not last too long. If you use anything like wd-40 while cutting, and get it on the wood which will happen, it will soften the wood, causing the top to weaken. I would suggest either a thick piece of construction grade plywood, for best would be a piece of maple butcher block. That is what most work benches are made of, and the will hold up to anything. Plus it would give you a sturdy surface to bolt a vice to or whatever. Just my opinion.

-Adam
    www.adambrunette.com - Converting My Harbor Freight X2 And My Jet Jvm-830 Knee Mill, As well as many other projects.

Hi Vikash. Welcome to the Zone!

Nice drawing!

The X3 is a lot of weight to support only with layers of MDF--or even plywood. It will probably matchbox. I would recommend more cross bracing. 2 x 10s laid lengthwise, with a plywood top would be very strong and also support vise etc.

Or you could always put cross braces directly UNDER the mill mounts.

CR.

I built MY SX3 bench out of steel, with two steel mounting rails extending over a flood coolant tray. This gives me total access to the underside.

CR.

Hi Vikash

Regarding MDF, it is like a sponge, hygroscopic-like even. Once moisture eventually finds its way to to it, the MDF will, as said, weaken, and swell.

Minimally, you might make a bench top of a couple layers of glued-and-screwed 3/4" plywood.

Since my basement is subject to minor flooding once every 3 or so years, I mounted 1" tall Simpson post bases at the foot of each 4x4" bench leg. These bases were themselves anchored to the concrete so I was not relying only on the weight of the bench and its tools to keep it from vibrating. The post bases also protect the wood bench legs when fluid spills on the floor.

Bench building fun. Enjoy.

-Mark

MDF- Horrible. It's on the bottom of my bench, when I had a coolant leak and did not realize. It soaked for about a day and then when I saw what happened. I was shocked, it looked like a Meteoroid hit it! It was concaved and sagged like 5 inches!

Go with something better!

-Jason

Hello all,

Ive just started building a bench for my SX4plus and wonder if anyone has any comments / suggestions before I get too far into it

The guy i bought the mil off recommended using a wooden top for added dampening.

The frame for the top is made of 50mm angle iron, and I was planning using 200 x 50 boards as top surface bolted to frame and a centre support beam (going width ways)

Initially I thought the mill itself will bolt to the 200 x 50s, which in turn are connected to the frame

or should I add steel supports so the the mill bolts through the wood into the steel frame?

Poor mill been sitting collecting dust for months now!!!

Cheers
    Adam

Engineers don't work with wood!
    Ian.

Just say no to MDF!

Everybody has hit on why but I just wanted to add my voice to the crowd. MDF is just all around bad for a machine mounting surface. Even if you intentions are dry machining it is still possible to spill something on the MDF where it will then act like a sponge and soak up the mess. By the way particle board isn't any better.

Wood isn't impossible though. Consider laminating your own top out of dimensional lumber, Plywood or purpose built hardwood counter tops.

Another option is a top of Aluminum or steel. The problem here is in the handling of a plate that is stiff enough to be suitable to the task.

Another option is a table of slate, granite or other stone. A relative had an old farm house that had a slate table in the cellar. It was rather hugh and I have no idea how the original owners got It in the cellar but one thing was obvious, there was no vibration. I think the table was close to six inches thick and about 8 feet long.

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Engineers don't work with wood!
    Ian.
    That is unadulterated BS. Wood might not be ideal for a table but for the class of machines we are talking about here it is plenty stable enough if properly constructed and protected. Would an all metal table be better, that is almost a certainty in a technical sense but thousands get by with wooden benches just fine.

What the.... Why was this topic from 2008-09 dragged up for this?

MDF works just fine... IF you waterproof it. I sealed it with fiberglass resin. It slightly soaked into the surface and hardened up quite nicely. Smelled to high heaven for a few days after, but it works really nicely.

I made mine out of 2"+ thick wood commercial fire doors from an old building. Got 4 of them for $5 a pop from Habitat for Humanity and made several worktables and some seriously indestructable countertop.
    Go look at any architectural salvage/used building material place. No one wants fire doors, they don't have a lot of secondary uses, are too big and too thick to fit standard door frames, and they weigh a ton. Better quality than my industrial "shop top" benchtops that cost $300 each ctually.

Great benchtop though. Its pretty much just 2" of what looks to be OSB between two teak veneer door skins.

Quote Originally Posted by cameraguy View Post
    I made mine out of 2"+ thick wood commercial fire doors from an old building. Got 4 of them for $5 a pop from Habitat for Humanity and made several worktables and some seriously indestructable countertop.
    Go look at any architectural salvage/used building material place. No one wants fire doors, they don't have a lot of secondary uses, are too big and too thick to fit standard door frames, and they weigh a ton. Better quality than my industrial "shop top" benchtops that cost $300 each ctually.

Great benchtop though. Its pretty much just 2" of what looks to be OSB between two teak veneer door skins.
    My work bench top is built from a stainless steel elevator door atop a rack used to hold bombs in the 70's. I got it from my dad. It's a beast! The nice thing is, the benchtop is hinged so it can be rolled through standard 36" doors. My mill is on a stand, but, this would handle just about any sized benchtop mill you would want to use.

Thanks, Connor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 559.jpg  
    Inner Vision Development Corp. - http://www.ivdc.com
    Website Design & Development. Shopping Carts, SEO and more!

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    That is unadulterated BS. Wood might not be ideal for a table but for the class of machines we are talking about here it is plenty stable enough if properly constructed and protected. Would an all metal table be better, that is almost a certainty in a technical sense but thousands get by with wooden benches just fine.
    "if properly constructed".......engineers use wood for benches but do not work with wood.
    Ian.

"if properly constructed".......engineers use wood for benches but do not work with wood.
    Ian.
    That is still BS. Engineers that don't know how to work with wood don't. There are engineering properties for wood just like metal, composites, concrete, rubber, plastic, whatever. Because you are an engineer that doesn't work with wood, doesn't mean others don't. Airplanes were built and still are built using primary structures made of wood and I guarantee they are "engineered". Take the Spruce Goose for example. Howard Hughes probably just slapped that airplane together without doing any engineering. I think not. Just the opinion of an engineer here.

Wood is and has been for a very long time an engineering material.

Airplane propellers are a good example of an application for wood that remained in production a very long time before suitable replacements where found.

Even in the shop wood can make very serviceable machines. It might not be the favored material of a metal worker but it can easily be engineered into serviceable machines.

Quote Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
    That is still BS. Engineers that don't know how to work with wood don't. There are engineering properties for wood just like metal, composites, concrete, rubber, plastic, whatever. Because you are an engineer that doesn't work with wood, doesn't mean others don't. Airplanes were built and still are built using primary structures made of wood and I guarantee they are "engineered". Take the Spruce Goose for example. Howard Hughes probably just slapped that airplane together without doing any engineering. I think not. Just the opinion of an engineer here.

If we can stop one man from making an MDF bench top it is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Blight View Post
    What the.... Why was this topic from 2008-09 dragged up for this?
    Sometimes when you drag your anchor through the harbor you pull up interesting items.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    Sometimes when you drag your anchor through the harbor you pull up interesting items.
    Haha well, handlewanker found something interesting and started yelling at it. I'm just wondering if handlewanker is trolling or not.

Handlewanker, are you an engineer or a troll?

Ian.
    All the engineers I've known have worked with almost every material under the sun. Prior to this it hadn't occured to me there would be people calling themselves engineers, that limit themselves to not work with one of, if not the most, commonly worked material on the planet?

cheers,
    Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Page 1 of 2 12