586,089 active members*
3,709 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Results of our 8th CNC BBQ Melbourne May 24 2008

A top day was had by everyone, I dare say Benny will have some piccies and things

Thanks Benny and Ivan, for a GREAT day!!

Cheers,
    Bob

This new thread is the results from this BBQ here http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53559

Too tired to give a full detail post, all details, thank yous, videos pics, tomorrow. In mean time the day had 61 visitors, 8 machines 3 formal guest speakers, and many informal speakers.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails speech.jpg  
    Being outside the square !!!

Results of our 8th CNC BBQ Melbourne May 24 2007

Looks like you blokes had a good time.

Are there any CNC hobbyists in Perth and do they have similar gatherings?

Perth Push ...

Richard,
    Not only do you have CNC people in Perth, but we had 2 at the do today including Rodm??? who gave a great demo of V Carve Pro ... fantastic presentation and gave us all lots of ideas.

Smile Thank You ... Thank You ... Thank You

Many thanks to our Moderator Benny, Ivan for the venue, Greg for his 2 machines and lots of advice, Rodm1954 (couldn't remember his number in my last post!) for his fantastic demo of V Carve Pro, thanks also to the other speakers and those that brought machines and goodies. Thanks to our sponsors for the prizes (which I didn't win! ... maybe next time!) and thanks to Rocket for the BBQ and drinks. In fact it is thanks all around for a fantastic day.
    Dr Zoot

Exclamation Anyone find a wallet at the convention in St Albans today?

Hi Guys,
    did anyone see my wallet, I'm going nuts trying to find it, if you did find it, please respond to this post ASAP.
    Thanks.
    It has my licence etc in there, name is Andrew Jason Mifsud.
    I remember taking it out to buy some tools from Neil, after that I cant remember.
    Not worried about the cash, just the licences etc.
    Thanks again.

RE: Wallet...

Sorry for the bother guys, but luckily I found it. PHEW!

Anyhow thanks to Benny and Ivan for organising the day, and those of you who went through the effort of bringing your creations, look forward to the next one, met some great people.
    C ya.
    -Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by mif73 View Post
    Hi Guys,
    did anyone see my wallet, I'm going nuts trying to find it, if you did find it, please respond to this post ASAP.
    Thanks.
    It has my licence etc in there, name is Andrew Jason Mifsud.
    I remember taking it out to buy some tools from Neil, after that I cant remember.
    Not worried about the cash, just the licences etc.
    Thanks again.

Hey Benny,

What were the Gecko drives that were given away? They seem to be only the circuit board and heatsink. There is no sheet metal cover that indicates which model it is (or pinout).

Cheers
    Matt

A Fantastic day!

Hi Fellas, a big THANKYOU to the organisers of yesterdays event.

Ramon, Frank and I were made to feel very welcome and we were absolutely amazed at the expertise of all you machine builders/owners.

Unfortunately we could not hang around to help with the clean up as we had to catch our flight back to Adelaide.

Benny - you mentioned that you were not sure as to why our family business would be interested in cnc routers. We are Image Blinds and Robes. We do not make blinds - we are resellers for them, but we make sliding door wardrobe systems - this is where our interest in cnc routers comes into it.

About 2 years ago i came across the cnczone forum while surfing the web looking for woodworking equipment. Through cnczone we learnt a lot about cnc routers. We then purchased our Excitech router from a company in china. This has enabled us to Router our own wardrobe door panels instead of outsourcing the work, resulting in increased profits and total control over our work flow. So we are very thankful to cnczone and the members.

As we discussed yesterday - It would be an honor for us to host one of your cnc convention / bbq`s in Adelaide around this time next year at our premises.

Anybody interested in attending?

Rocket.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00745.jpg   RIMG0006_edited.jpg   DSC00736.jpg   DSC00783.jpg  

DSC00820.jpg  

G'day Rocket

It was great that you, Ramon and Frank could make the trip over.

Once again thank you for your participation and sponsorship of the day.

I would have liked to have more time to chat with you about your new CNC machine and what you are doing with it,
    but that was the story of the day for me. So many people to talk to and so little time.

Greg

An absolute pleasure.

Thanks Greg, We could see that you were flat out all day.

We had a great time and met many people.

We are in awe of what you guys do.

Rocket.

Just got back in, I still had the BBQ thread page open on a browser on my computer waiting for me...lol

Well I gotta say thanks to all for a great day !!! Well worth the trip. I for one will try to make it once a year if I can.

I certainly got the motivation I needed to get my router finished, or at least working

Got some video and photo's I will throw together and post, maybe tonight, better talk to the missus first

Russell.

Smile A convention is more than 1 day?

If it was a 2 day affair, if at all practical, that would give the many people more time to discuss the infinite number of questions.
    As it stands, with 70 people all talking to each other is almost 5000 conversations. In the 10 hours we had, if we yakked for more than 2 minutes, we missed someone. Good group therapy though.
    Thanks to everyone who bought some drill bits/router bits from me.

Great to see so many from so far.
    When I started to read Russell's post he said he still had the BBQ ... and my brain jumped ahead and thought he was going to say IN HIM. Dumb brain?

Hi Guys,
    I had an awesome day thatnkyou. Well finally got some sleep.
    Rod and I were both about 38 hours awake before we pasted out on the plane home.
    Thanks to Benny, Ivan, Image blinds and every body's effort for the day.
    Bringing machines and your experiences.
    And a great thankyou to who every supplied the Coffee.

Sorry to those that caught me after a red bull or a coffee or before. lol.

I learnt heaps and some different ways on building machines and hopefully past on some of my knowledge/experiences aswell.

I'll post some pics of my machines today so people can understand what I was dribbling about.

Cheers
    Bones

Results of our 8th CNC BBQ Melbourne May 24 2007

It was good to meet up with you all and get to see what is happening on your side of the world.
    Next time I will stay overnight as it was a bit of a struggle for Bones and I - yep coffee and red bull can only do so much.
    I remember offering details and links to a few of you so could you email or PM me and I will follow up for you.
    Thanks to everyone who brought along machines and displays as it was good to see the variations in design and different applications that people use them for.
    Benny and Ivan – top show, great venue and thanks to Image Blinds (Rocket67) and to the other sponsors for their generosity.
    It was well worth the trip.
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Hi All

Thanks all for an very interesting day - well organized with very good speakers. Seeing machines working and the many different designs and ideas.
    Hopefully all information obtained has give me the motivation I need to get my router finished and working.

Thanks again
    Frank Clark

Hi Guys,
    Here we go the blurp I promised.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...062#post456062

They would fit in my bag to bring them over. Sorry.

Cheers again to everybody for the day.

And for those I spoke to or anybody with question on the machines.
    My email is [email protected]

Cheers
    Bones

Hi guys,
    The day turned out great. It gets better every time. I would hate to have anyone who contributed to the day, to feel like they were taken for granted or not appreciated.

Thank you to Ivan for hosting the event. The venue was perfect for what we needed. You were the perfect host. You made sure we had every thing we needed.

Thank you to all or guest speakers. Some gave formal speeches, while others gave informal ones.
    Rod who came all the way from WA to give a fantastic and informative demonstration of Vectric software. Peter who gave a great speech about ModIO and show us its potential uses with his pendant.
    Derek who showed us his dream machine. Ronald who gave an informal speech on micro controllers. Greg who hardly moved from his machine all day due to all the demonstrations he was giving. All the others who demonstrated their machine to eager onlookers.

I want to thank Frank for bringing his PA system and lots of backup equipment. I appreciate your giving attitude to the day.

Thanks Greg for making the name badges.
    Thanks to every person who bought a machine or an item to display or talk about. You guys are the backbone of days like this.

Thanks to those who helped cook, set up, pack down, clean up etc. Every little thing combines to make something great.

Thanks to our many sponsor. I tried to make sure your products and generosity was plugged as much as possible.

Thanks to all those who traveled far to join us on the day. I hope the day was as good as you expected.

Thanks to those who bought extra food for cooking, and to those who donated to the expenses tin.

If I have neglected to mention any one please remind me.

Finances...... we were given $250 (Image blinds) and the donation tin collected just under $100. A total of $350. Greg spent $50 on badges and I spent $120 on paper plates, plastic forks, teaspoons, serviettes, coffee, tea, toilet paper, sausages, sauce, cordial, bread, etc. This leaves $180 in the kitty for the next event. Does any one else have an out of pocket claim?

It is my hope that those from other states will now do the same thing where they live. Over time when their numbers build up we could have a national event on an annual basis.

It make me proud to be an Aussie, and especially proud that we can do these sorts of things without having to charge for the day. I am sure many others look at us and envy what we do . Its all thanks to every one of you guys.

Ivan tells me I am over the top with the “thanks yous”. He may be right, but It just makes me proud of you all.

To those who have any further private questions could you please post them via a PM instead of this thread.

I will put a video together over the next week, and post it I this forum. If any one has any pictures I could use could they either upload them to this thread or send them to me at shoot.the.cat (at) gmail.com I think I am a bit light on with media, as I was distracted by all the excitement of the day.

I could kick myself for not thinking of it on the day, but we had two projectors there. I should have set one up for the computer, and the other one for showing the items been talked about. Next time we will have a dual setup, as it would have been better than Mr fatty standing at the front holding up the pendant.

I look forward to seeing the pics you guys have taken of the day.

Regards Benny

EDIT: I will send out a list of all the names to everyone who entered thier own name. This should help people connect a bit better when they realize where each other lives. I think I mentioned that 61 attended on the day.
    Being outside the square !!!

Was a great day!

The collection tin was a great idea, particularly to cover all the expenses for the day including the BBQ. It's a big effort with organising, and everything went very smoothly.

Kudos to you Benny, great job and very appreciated

There were many people looking to build a machine or have a machine in progress. Some of the questions I got were really those that glued the missing pieces together. For example, quite a few asked about how you progress from something on the screen (drawing) to the actual CGODE. It really highlighted how good these days are for people looking to get into the hobby and progress.

I wish I had taken more photo's and video, but here is what I have...

Russell.

Page 1 of 3 123