586,080 active members*
3,485 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Lathes > Source for bolt-on tool holders

Question Source for bolt-on tool holders

Anybody know of a source (other than HAAS) for bolt-on tool holders for HAAS lathes?

I’m looking for a 2” boring bar holder for an SL-30

rka

Make them.

Make them or check here http://www.globalcnc.com/

I made my 2" blocks. Not a real big deal. I made them before we had a cnc mill.

In the process of making them, what would be a good material. I was thinking about 8620 or H14, but thats a large chunk of steel. Also, depending on the material selection, would you heat treat and grind? Are the Haas blocks ground? I will have to check to see how accurate they are. They have an oxide coating, this might affect the precision.

I know.........I'm picky.:stickpoke

The Haas blocks are cast iron. At least that it what it looked like after the block fell on the lip and cracked. The block could be made out of 1018, 4140, etc. I don't believe that the blocks need to be heat treated and the black oxide will not cause deviations in accuracy.

I made my blocks out of a large piece of A-36 plate we had at the shop. The biggest thing to get right is the main ID and the locating lug hole on the bottom of the block. I don't know if the lug on the turret can be moved like a cam or not.

If I ever get a chance, I am going to make some more, but a little larger. I'll post a pic.

Quote Originally Posted by WOLOG View Post
    The Haas blocks are cast iron. At least that it what it looked like after the block fell on the lip and cracked......
    The holders on my SL10s and GT20s do not machine like cast iron. I bored a couple out to convert them into 5C collet holders and they behaved much the same as 1018.

I have made several holders both parallel bore for boring bars and tapers for MT2 and R8. The boring bar holders I did in C12L14 because it is easy to work and the collet holders in aluminum 6061.

I bored the boring bar holders in the machine using a boring head held in the chuck so this way the bore is accurate to the alignment lug. The aluminum ones I bored oversize and then made steel sleeves with the collet taper inside and the OD mild press fit in the aluminum block.

The MT2 holders for the GT20 have two collet holes so they are two place gang tools.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

My SL-30 is a 2001 model. I am not sure what the actual composition is but on my block I don't think it's 1018. I run a tap in the 1/2-13 set screw holes every now and then and gritty dust comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by WOLOG View Post
    My SL-30 is a 2001 model. ....
    Thos holders must be much bigger than the SL10, cast could make sense rather than hogging the shape out of a big block
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.