586,089 active members*
3,985 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > My encloser chips & coolant will never get away!
Page 2 of 2 12
    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr9900 View Post
    tt350, thank you for the great description of your enclosure. I'm to the point of wanting to build a similar enclosure for my Tormach. Now that it's been a few months, how do you like your enclosure? Is there anything you'd do differently now? Any aspects that were'nt obvious at first?

Thanks,

Randy

Yes there are some things that need to be changed.
    The chip pan needs to be extended about 10” because
    the motor on the 4th axes will hit the doors and if I have any work that hangs over the back jaw in the vice the vice will hit as well.

Other than that it’s grate.
    When I extend the pan I’m going to move the control cabinet outside and mount it on the enclosure.

TT350, is your enclosure so tall because you need the height, or are you just using 4-foot high plywood? I ask because I'm thinking of using 3-foot high walls on my Tormach. I've never seen chips fly higher than the electronics enclosure. OK, I don't have a pickup truck and I can't really fit panels wider than 3 feet in my car! But truly I'm wondering if all the height is really needed...

Best regards,

Randy

It is 4 feet I made the most of my plywood.

12" makes a bid differance, ask your wife LOL

Freaking cool!

-Jason

Pictures

Were can I see the closeup pictures of the structure you built .

Thanks Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by TT350 View Post
    I can now run the coolant WIDE OPEN and not a drop gets away. Mission accomplished!
    Looks like you need to install some windshield wipers now!

TT.. I've been working on an enclosure similar to yours.. which looks great by the way.. when you relocated the control panel to abovet your monitor.. how did you do the ribbon cable? and the wiring ?.. did you just enxyend everythingI was talking to a guy who said it might cause a problem to extend the cable ..something to do with voltage (whatever the cause .. out of my league).. any way you can let me know how you did it? of course pictures would be nice as well..

thanks..

does any one have an idea of what lengthening the ribbon cable that goes to the control panel might cause?

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer67 View Post
    does any one have an idea of what lengthening the ribbon cable that goes to the control panel might cause?
    The issue will be that it could pick up electrical noise and carry that back inside the cabinet. Depends what sort of signals are on the ribbon cable. Not having a Tormach, I can't comment further.

However, you can buy parallel cables that have shielding that I think would very likely mate up to your ribbon.

I think I would go ahead and try the remote mounting and see if you have any noise problems. If you do, then you can engineer a solution.

Best,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

"Not having a Tormach, I can't comment further." So why do you post on this list if you don't own a Tormach?

Why not? He wasn't getting any help elsewhere.

Why don't you help him, Don? You sure sound like a helpful guy.
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

cables extension

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer67 View Post
    In the past there were discussions here of slight inaccuracies that were linked to overlong cables between computer and control (signal noise as a reason for lost steps). Usually the Tormach answer is: get a shielded cable. I have a 10ft shielded cable and no problem so far (I put my computer on a tool cart beside the machine).
    Hope that helps.

Benji

thanks benji and bob.. it gives me enough information to continue with my machine stand build..

Page 2 of 2 12