586,068 active members*
3,739 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Puget Sound CNC Enthusiasts & BBQ
Page 1 of 3 123

Puget Sound CNC Enthusiasts & BBQ

Hey,

Are there any CNC builders or enthusiasts in the Puget Sound area of Washington here? If anyone is interested I would like to have a CNC BBQ just like the Aussies. Sounds like fun. I can bring my CNC router too.

Hello Mike,
    There are a few up here in Bellingham that would be interested. Do you have a place for this? There is another thread that talks of doing a swap meet down in portland. Thats a little far to drive for some. Seems like the Seattle area would be ideal for most, up in this corner of the states. I'll check with a few I know down in your area. Unfortunately, summer is here and it seems hard to organize this kind of thing once school ends. Just the same, I'll ask around.
    Doug

Mike,

Count me in.

Evergreen State Fair Grounds at Monroe always seems to have time and space for one more activty??

Eldon

Hi guys,

Monroe is an okay location but have you checked out the Fair Ground's prices? Ouch! I think someone's backyard would be more economical. Unfortunately I live in an Apartment by the Lynwood Mall. I'm happy to see some interest in this idea though. Come on guys, the more the merrier. Let's put our heads together and see if we can do something. :rainfro:

Mike,

More on a Puget Sound CNC Enthusiasts BBQ

There appears to be nothing but silence from the Puget Sound CNC Enthusiastic people???

I still think a BBQ is a good idea, maybe we should look/ask for speakers, people with simple demonstrations or show and tell. Should we just start with proposed agendas for furture meeting to get some discussion?

Is there another suitable (local) forum for this dicussion?

Is there already a Puget Sound CNC Enthusiasts group or would this be the first? I have Googled and found nothing.

Can anyone help with other ideas??

Thanks,
    Eldon

Is there anyone out there?

I guess the Australians have more brotherhood than we do in Washington. How sad.

Let's give it some more time and see if any more people are interested.

If nothing works out eldonb46 and d.dixson are more than welcome to meet at my house in lynnwood for a great BBQ and CNC talk! :rainfro:

I'm in!

I'm up for a meet.

How many are you thinking about?

George Lawrence Storm, Kirkland, Washington
    George Lawrence Storm, Kenmore (Seattle), Washington
    Inventor, Machinist, Macintosh Applications Developer, Videographer

Why George? You gotta house? I think the number that attend will be directly proportionate to the number of unique individuals that post here. I think before we set a date we should wait while I hunt down everyone on this forum from Washington.

I say wait a little,let the word get out.There could be folks on here that might look for any reason to take a vacation,,you know a busmans holiday.I hear there is some good fishing out that way,
    Just push the button,what's the worst that could happen.

fuzzyracing1967,

Why don't you bring your Rod and Reel and come to one of the most beautiful states in the USA?

Why don't you bring your Rod and Reel and come to one of the most beautiful states in the USA?

That's why I say wait a little to set date,I need a few months lead before getting away that long,to come to the other coast,.

fuzzy,

Your welcome anytime my friend.

Thanks for the invite, Mike! I'm down that way once or twice a month (second job). Maybe we can meet up sometime and chat. The guy I work for in Mill Creek is an enthusiast, too.

I have a question for everyone... are you planning on going to the Grizzly Industrial tent sale? For those who don't know: Grizzly has a scratch and dent sale once a year in Bellingham. Everything is discounted and the managers will haggle. Its kind of a big deal. People come from as far away as Montana, Utah and California and some camp out in the parking lot the night before the sale.

I was thinking that some 'Zoners would be making the trip anyway. Maybe we could have a get together after the sale or the next day. Only problem is: its only a couple of weeks away. Short notice, huh? Could help to get things organized, though. I'm pretty sure this wasn't the first BBQ the Auzzies had. I'm just suggesting we should think long-term and center a meeting on an event. If not this tent sale then something else that could mesh with everyones interests and plans.

However, maybe we should see if we can get those of us with time and energy together, if not in person, then by phone to see what can be cooked up. I'd be happy to participate and I know of at least 4 others in Bellingham who'd love to attend. I look forward to seeing how this turns out.
    -Doug

I cannot say I am a builder, but I do have the parts, pieces and potential, just not much time.

I'd be interested depending on the dates and location etc. I live south of Renton, but work east of Seattle in the Rainier Valley.

Waiting a bit to see the response and interest sounds like a good idea. This is the first I seen the posting. Not knowing how many would show could become a deluge or a flop before anyone offers up a location or needs to spend cash to secure one.

Central to the Seattle area. One idea may be to contact some of the live steamers that meet at the Steam plant Museum at the North end of Boeing Field. I can't say it is available free or at a cost, just that it may be an option. A phone call should give us answers there.

If the turnout were low, managable, realistic under 10 may work at a small home shop/garage. More than that and a larger facility would be required. I might be able to work this out......tentatively, no promises as of yet.

Let's see where this goes after a date has been agreed on with the summer months being filled quickly with other fun times in the works and plans already made.

Any volunteers to be a lead contact that can narrow a future date via PM's?

I must clear future plans with my schedule keeper. AKA SWMBO?

DC

Just had a conversation with my machining instructor about this thread.

He would like to gage your interest in meeting at Lake Washington Technical College. Looks like the college is up for some community outreach. The college is located near Totem Lake (north of Bellevue / south of Everett)

Benefits include the ability of handling most any size group without trashing anyones lawn, multiple meeting rooms, plenty of parking, a visit to the machine shop (or welding, electronics, etc.), there is an area (under cover) which is occasionally used for outside BBQ-ing, and we could possibly arrange to have it catered (they have a culinary program).

I have not yet asked, but we could probably use it for the cost of the security guards.
    George Lawrence Storm, Kenmore (Seattle), Washington
    Inventor, Machinist, Macintosh Applications Developer, Videographer

What do you guys do?

I love the Lake Washington Technical College idea. By the way what do you guys do? I'm not a builder. I bought a K2CNC wood router and have designs on making Guitars and Signs on it. I have cut a few things but would love to do more. :rainfro:

This is a Sign I made recently:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55692

Hey! That Tech College thing sounds good to me!

Mike,
    Thats a pretty cool sign! Guess I should have picked up on what you do with your sig and all... me, I program and run machines by day and program and run machines by night. Actually, I built a router and do proto-type work at home. And as mentioned before, I do some custom programming, jig construction and set-up work on the side. Keeps me busy. I too, use Mach on my machine. Can't say enough about how powerful it is.

Still haven't talked to my buds about this, I'll have to email them this post. Dang, its time to shut down for the night...

Doug just sent me the link to this discussion and thought I would accept the open invitation as soon as we can come to a date and location I have an ancient 3' * 8' router that was brought back to life with Mach and hope to have another 5 * 10 plotter from Boeing turned into a router by year end. I may be ahead of myself with that last hope but we will see.
    Tech college sounds like an interesting and fun trip. I will follow the thread as best I can and see where we go. Looking forward to hooking up with other machine junkies!
    Kerry

Yeah keep mulling this over,I have been looking for a reason to go west!

I'd be interested in attending.

Dan Mauch
    www.camtronics-cnc.com
    Cases for Gecko drives. Kits or Assembled and tested unit

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stevenson View Post
    I guess the Australians have more brotherhood than we do in Washington. How sad.

Let's give it some more time and see if any more people are interested.

If nothing works out eldonb46 and d.dixson are more than welcome to meet at my house in lynnwood for a great BBQ and CNC talk! :rainfro:

Page 1 of 3 123