586,103 active members*
3,286 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Question about using nuts and bolts.
Page 8 of 10 678910
    Quote Originally Posted by Glidergider View Post
    Very nice wing. That LiteStick Fuse is really a fine test bed for flying slow. How did your new wing do in Rolls? I see you don't have any dihedral. So I'm guessing it will roll over pretty easy.
    The Slow Stick is about as relaxed flying as you can get. This wing actually does have just a little dihedral but not much. It will do a nice slow roll and loop. The airfoil is a modified Clark Y. I can still carry a good load but it can be flown a little faster. Sure do like your router table you built. Your a true craftsman Dave. I'm still looking for a easy way to cut a gear out of G 10 also. ...Ron

Just thought since I built the wing and the camera mount and landing gear on my JGRO you all would like to see it in the air. One sweet nice flying plane.
    Ron BB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails webpicstick.jpg   webpicstick2.jpg  

I'm enjoying seeing your creations. How about video, do you post any on youtube?

I'm enjoying seeing your creations. How about video, do you post any on youtube?
    We do have some copter stuff on our page. I will be posting some in the near futrure of the stick I think. You can see it on our page at averticalview.com but right now there are only stuff from copters. I did a mount for a fellow who has a bat gas copter that I have never seen. Did by sending a couple of emails back and forth asking questions about the copter. His first flight is posted on the page. Worked out very well. I was happy with his pictures he sent us. Its pretty good video. Ron BB

Just got this done for my grand daughters house warming. Took over 100,000 lines of code to get what I wanted. I hope they like it. It took a while to do. Ron BB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails worthing.jpg  

Very nice. That's big for a JGRO. I remember my size limit was about 16 x 30 inches. And when I got that big, it was hard to hold the wood down. Nice job.

I'm off on another project. I have a fellow who wants a AV aircraft powered by an electric motor that can be taken down and put in a suitcase. I have the thing cut out of G10 and now I am starting the wing. While this one will be built up it will finely be equipped with a foam wing. The vertical stab folds down flat. Should be interesting when done...Ron BB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1452.jpg  

Here is the wing for the plane below. I used G10 to build the join boxes as the wing is a two pice affair. Total wing span will be 65" when tips are put on. Should get it covered this week if all goes well...RonBB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1468.jpg   IMG_1464.jpg  

Nice looking wing.
    1 question: Where did you purchase the G10 from? I have found many places but the shipping is what seems to be cost prohibitive. I think it is the size of the sheets, but if you have them cut it down it costs $ so they get you one way or another shipping or cutting.

DT

We get it from McMasters and Carr. It comes in 12 by 12 inch sheets which is what we normally purchase. It sells for around $9 a sheet. I don't know what Jim pays for shipping but we normally buy 12 sheets at a time. I do know he said a 12 by 24 sheet was just twice the price. We use .062" thick sheets normally. Ron BB

Ron,
    What kind of glue do you use on the G10? Looking at the picture, I don't see any glue evidence. So I'm guessing you are using CA glue.

Also, the joiner box you built appears to have a hollow thin slot, is this for a joiner blade? The slot looks very thin, if that's what it is.

How about a few more words to describe this joiner box more thoroughly. Thanks,
    Dave

Ron,

Thanks for the information, the G10 fueselage looks kind of like a RC helicopter complete with the Align tail boom. I like the strut linking the vertical and horizontal stablilizers, does that attach with some sort of pin or small bolt?
    Sorry, I have a few other questions regarding the feed rate and bit type when you cut the G10.

Thanks for sharing,
    DT

Ron,
    What kind of glue do you use on the G10? Looking at the picture, I don't see any glue evidence. So I'm guessing you are using CA glue.

Also, the joiner box you built appears to have a hollow thin slot, is this for a joiner blade? The slot looks very thin, if that's what it is.

How about a few more words to describe this joiner box more thoroughly. Thanks,
    Dave
    Hi Dave.
    Yep, I am using CA glue. I normally sand the G 10 if its smooth and clean it with alcohole if needed before glueing. I use a dremel and a wire wheel to rough the area that will be glued. The blades are thin on the joiner box. By using to boxes on a wing they do not have to be large. In this case the actual blade is .0625 thick by .75 wide. I use a threaded hole in the front box and a 4-40 cap screw which inserts into a slot cut in the blade to assure the wing won't come apart. Also since I am using rubber bands to hold this wing on, they help with it also. ..Ron

Quote Originally Posted by DeadTom View Post
    Ron,

Thanks for the information, the G10 fueselage looks kind of like a RC helicopter complete with the Align tail boom. I like the strut linking the vertical and horizontal stablilizers, does that attach with some sort of pin or small bolt?
    Sorry, I have a few other questions regarding the feed rate and bit type when you cut the G10.

Thanks for sharing,
    DT
    The strut on the vertical stab has a hinge on it. You just pull the pin on the top hinge and the stab will lay down flat. Use to do the struts on some bipe's that way. As for bits on G 10, I use carbide end mills. Normally I use a .0625 at a slow cutting rate to cut out the material I use. If I need to I can use a .031 size. I get the cheapest ones Enco has. I use the tin coated most of the time and can get four sheets cut per bit. Stock no. on the bit from Enco is, SU322-6104. They sell for $5.59 ea. G 10 is murder on cutting bits. Also be sure and wear a breathing mask of some sort when you cut G 10. Not good to breath the dust. When you cut a part hold it down as it will kick out of the sheet when bit gets to end of cut and will break the end mill. Very upsetting on a long cut to have to start all over again and waste a sheet of material.

Very good, thanks again Ron for the info it is much appreciated.

Tom

While I am sure its sometime nessesary to build a large collector I found them in the way a lot of the time. First I built this with a single pick up but made it a dual pick up the other day. I would guess its getting 95% of the dust from the G-10. It really works well. Just built the dual collector box so I could use two tubes and thats all there was to it. I used 1/8" G-10 for the box and the tape is to make sure its sealed for leaks. Works very well....Ron BB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dual2.jpg   duapic.jpg  

Unhappy

I have been pushing my table a little bit lately. Today I recieved my just rewards for doing so... Took the bearings right out of the roto-zip. It came to a grinding stop right in the middle of a large job. Best laid plans some time...Oh well...Ron BB

I put my spare RotoZip on the table. I thought maybe it would not have the life of a good rounter. Its a lot quieter and does a good job for the price. The one that failed cut out over 100 sheets of G10 plus some signs and wings. I am including a picture of a new mount we flew for the fist time the other day. Did a good job and the video it took came out well. Ron BB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_1560.jpg   img_1576.jpg  

Just tought I would post a picture of our biggest mount to date. It has a 12 inch camera plate. It was built to accomidate two cameras at the same time and mounts to a Batt copter. I cannot think we would build one any bigger in a front mount.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lmount05.jpg  

Wow that is big and beautiful, great work.
    I fly rc helis and planes and have just started to finally utilize my JGRO for making parts for them.
    Tom

Page 8 of 10 678910