586,077 active members*
3,688 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > a paper shredder motor for spindle motor??

a paper shredder motor for spindle motor??

we have a fellows paper shredder that had the gears stripped in it...it was a good shredder...but when i took it apart to see why it quit shredding...i saw some drive gear teeth broke off..thinking oh well ill have to get some gears...but i have looked around some for replacment gears,had very little luck..this was a while ago 4-6 months ago so today i decided to look at it again..the gear had a "C" clip on it but must have fell off and let the gear climb onto the other gear...and rip a few teath off..which in turn got caught in the other gear and made a mess out of it also (it must have been close to quiting time and they didnt wanna put the clip all the way onto the shaft to hold the gear together )......so i have two gears ruined...if i had the parts (cheap) i would just fix it...but another thought came across my head,how bout using it for a spindle motor?? it is an "ac" motor has 120v 60hz on it....seems to turn pretty fast...and could prolly be over driven with pully's to get even faster...i did notice it got some what hot...like maybe it was not intended to run for a very long time continuosly, it is a "graphite??" brushed motor ,...but it dont say the horse power,or anything but i could not stall it by simply pushing on the out put shaft with a stick....thinking if it had a fan on top...it would be cooler..lota work yeah..but thought id share it with yall as i couldnt find any threads with this particular type motor (a paper shredder) mentioned as the spindle motor (have to admit my search skills arent that good)...and thought yall might wanna look for some at yard sales for cnc use....on the side note has any of yall used one of these motors for your cnc...? did it run hot ,and still perform well for a long time?? or maybe even if some one could tell me a really good place to get replacement gears (cheap) to just fix it ?? i still think id rather use it for a spindle motor .....""no honey it cant be fixed,the gears is all torn up...guess ill 'HAVE TO' use it for my cnc router build"" think she will buy that story??
    "witty comment"

Its a Universal AC/DC motor, they are series motors, and as such operate in a runaway condition, so it is important they have some kind of load as this is what restricts the rpm, vacuum cleaners & power hand tools use this type.
    Paper shredders are really cheap, I would not think it worth repairing.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

al thanks for the reply! so i guess i have a new trash can now since the shredder would not be worth fixing,and a new motor for a homebuilt spindle! I done a quick search on ebay...shredders are goin for $30.00 ~ $100.00 so at yard sales prolly cheap for motor uses,but only problem is, alot of people prolly just throw 'em away when they make that "grinding" sound ,..junking a pretty good motor... I saw on the net (www.buildyouridea.com )where dave kush used a salad shooter motor,a sewing machine motor,so their are alot of options i guess..i also took the motor out of a "dust buster cordless and when i hook it to a 27 volt power supply (scavenged from a old citizen dot matrix printer) the motor runs really fast! but gets hot,when i put the "fan" back on the shaft it runs slower..but dont get hot..so that must be what ya mean about series ,the load they are designed to pull is the only thing that regulates how fast they run ,to keep em' in a safe state from burning their self up?? so i guess its all down to how much time ya got for dismantling stuff like for hobby uses!
    al you seem to know alot about electronics (from the post i have read) good to have some one like you around!
    "witty comment"

Quote Originally Posted by .xXACEXx. View Post
    i also took the motor out of a "dust buster cordless and when i hook it to a 27 volt power supply (scavenged from a old citizen dot matrix printer) the motor runs really fast! but gets hot,when i put the "fan" back on the shaft it runs slower..but dont get hot..so that must be what ya mean about series ,
    I haven't had any of the cordless units apart, but as they operate on charged batteries I would suspect they are permanent-magnet field DC motors.
    This would make them a shunt motor and not series.
    Someone who has had one apart may be able to tell.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

yeah the one from the dustbuster had magnets outside of the armature,and the ac motor on the shredder (no transformer just plugs into the wall) had windings around the armature,(sorry, wish i knew more about this stuff) i need to spend some time learning about electricity i guess,and components,..BEFORE i try to build anything..
    "witty comment"