586,108 active members*
3,107 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: okuma LB15

Page 2 of 5 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by skullworks View Post
    I run 8 Okuma lathes daily, 3 are LB15's with 5000 or 5020 controls and also an LR duel turret with a 5020.

The LB15 is a great machine, but the worst possible choice for a Mach conversion. (Detailed explaination omitted.)

The 5000 or 5020 comes from the primary CPU. A Hitachi 5000 (a licensed copy of the Motorola 68000 @ 8MHz ) or the Hitachi 5020 (which equates to a Motorola 68020).

Good luck with them and treat them with care as both the 5000 and 5020 controls have been out of production for years now and certain spares no longer exist. If the CRT goes you will get an LCD retrofit, it works but its not the same. Servo amps and Spindle drives are done on a factory rebuild - you send it in for repair - be prepaired for 30 day down time.

I also run a MC4-VAE-HS an extended travel, fully enclosed, 30 tool ATC 12,000 RPM version of the MC4-VA Vertical machining center (using an OSP5020M). In a word, NICE. Only machine I have used that "I" like better was a Mori Seiki SV50B.
    I feel like I just got kicked in the stomuch(nuts), that doesn't sound encouraging to say the least. Hopefully I can get the control working correctly.

Skullworks, is the LCD retrofit you are reffering to from Okuma? Do they use it on newer machines?

nlh, my machine also has an RS232 port as well as the tape reader, how are you making out with the RS232 setup, is it as difficult as you thought?

Thanks for the info,
    Scott

Scott,

So far it's going ok. Pretty straightforward really. I am making progress. The tech from Okuma e-mailed me a setup sheet for the green screen 5000L controls. It has an odd pinout. I set parameters according to the paper and can read from the control back to my PC with ease, but nothing going the other direction. This was done on a cable I built for my Mazak(Xon/Xoff only). Tried an off the shelf full hardware handshake null modem cable but did not work at all, probably do to the odd pinout. Currently working on the correct cable configuration but have been too busy to devote much time to it. Hoping I can get it built late tomorrow. When I get a chance I will e-mail you the setup sheet but you may have to remind me. It's kind of hard to read but still gets the job done.

Thanks,
    Nate

Scott,

Here is the PDF file for OSP5000 Green Screen Communications. This should work for both milling machines and lathes. It is hard to read in spots. The optional paramter bits have astericks on some, this denotes that you only change those parts of the parameter number that are shown on the paper. For instance if it says 11****** or similar and the current parameter on your machine is 01101001 then change it to 11101001. Also on the pinout, pin 5 (PC side CTS) goes to pin 9 (OSP side REG1). Still working on the cable so don't know how it will work when everything is done. Hope this helps.

Nate
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Nate, I'll get that hooked up when I get the machine running, it's coming to my shop in the morning:wee:

communication cable

cable setup
    any mechanical or electrical device that transmits or modifies energy to perform or assist in the performance of human tasks

Well finally got the cable done and tested. Still same as before will transfer from NC to PC fine no matter how it's set but nothing at all in the other direction. Tried several different cables (both hardware and software handshaking) with no luck. I have a cable built exactly like the one Okuma Tech's attatchments showed for my Mazak, same result, punch but no read. An off the shelf null modem cable doesn't work at all.

On EDIT/AUX page I selected PIP, then READ. From here I tried a couple different things, first I just hit READ and then WRITE/INPUT. This puts the filename A.MIN at the top and does absolutely nothing. Just sits there all day long with cursor flashing, also Predator editor on PC shows no activity. At this point have to turn the control off and back on. Then selected READ and typed TT: and INPUT. Waits about 10 seconds or so and says RS232C Device Error FFFFFFF. Then tried typing TT:,A.MIN and same thing. Tried using CN0 but no luck. CN1 or above causes a CPU error and puts machine in E-Stop mode.

Any ideas on this one? Does this indicate a bad Comm board? I have my parameters set according to my sheet for Green Screen comms as my machine only has one page of parameters per screen. Parameters shown on Okuma Tech's sheet don't apply to my control as far as I can see. Is there hidden parameter's similar to a Mazatrol M2 control?

I appreciate all input. Currently waiting on a call back from Okuma on a replacement comm board.

Thanks,
    Nate

Talking Legacy DNC stuff.

For whatever reason, and I think mostly to keep users from doing thier own thing, thereby still needing the original CNC provider forever there is a preamble, and a postamble needed. When the machine sees the first 2 bytes
    DC2,STX (0x12,0x02) thats starts the receive process.
    At the end of your file you need ETX <crlf> EOT <crlf> <crlf> SO which is 0x03,0x0d,0x0a,0x04,0x0d,0x0a,0x14.

I suppose it helped to minimize corrupted stuff being sent to CNC but that's no excuse to keep it secret.

Attached is a zip file, with a batch file and the start and end sequences which will automate this for you.
    This worked for a BOSCH CC120 system, bit will most likely work for others.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Thanks Neil,

I'll give it a try and see what happens. Is this what you have to do to send programs to your Okuma? What about your cable setup?

Nate

Talking No. Not okuma.

These files I sent you are used on a BOSCH CC120 controlling an OKK CNC mill.
    My LC20 has no RS232, or I have not found it yet. It has paper tape. ! I have a punch and reader, but just hand type in code. One day ....

I'm using the LC20 in manual mode today just do do some big parting off.
    I like the 15HP spindle power !
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

I thought some of you wouldn't mind knowing about this: http://www.countyhistory.com/rbcreat...perations.html

Hope it helps someone out there.

JR

PS: Send the guy a thank you if you have the time!

Arrow Serial file header.

Program on PC should look like this:

$MY-PROGRAM-NAME.MIN%
    O1234 (COMMENT)
    Nxx

M2
    %

Note also that you can put all sorts of text notes without () after the M2 but before the last %. On mill programs I list all fixture setup info and a tool manifest including what tool holder is used for each tool.

You need to use the pip - READ CN0: to read from the serial port (unless/until you change the parameter to make CN0: the default location) just using READ will have the control expecting input via tape reader.

The $ denotes the file name and the first % indicates that the next line starts the program file. Without a $ the control will assign a name starting with A.MIN. If A.MIN exists then it will assign B.MIN etc.

The O number is optional - I rarely use it unless program was "ported" from a FANUC or Mazak platform.

Quote Originally Posted by nlh View Post
    snip

Is there hidden parameter's similar to a Mazatrol M2 control?

Thanks,
    Nate
    Oh yes - there are hidden parameters.

Thanks for the info Skullworks,

Concerning CN0, do you recall off hand which paramter/s switch the CN0 on/off? I will go back through my manual later tonight but I don't recall seeing anything about switching these ports or for that matter a distiction between punching and reading.

The hidden parameters, do I need to view these to get RS-232 going? If so how does one access them?

Does the cable setup on your okuma's resemble the one I posted awhile back or the one Okuma Tech posted?

Thanks again,
    Nate

Pin outs

Thats going to take some digging.

I made the 125ft serial cable back in 1991 - I'd have to pull the clamshells off to verify the wiring "I" made - however there is a cable we now use on all machines in the building which should work for you. That is on a little computer cart we roll up to the machines and plug in. The 125' is at a different venue where all the machines are wired to a central download PC which has several port switches.

Same for the parameters - I hope I have them written down. - I do know that I had the best luck using 2400 baud with the Okuma's - 4800 on the Fanuc's and 9600 on the Hurco's, Mazaks I don't recall.

I use Procomm for DOS for some up/down transfers. (shareware), and a little DOS program called COMMS for doing DNC - both at the central wired PC. On the cart unit, Preditor Editor for W95.

I think comms would also work fine for file transfer - its just rather spartan and tends to give non PC/Dos types fits because it is not GUI based or very user friendly.

Tried CN0 as suggested but still no go. Getting the "RS232C Device Read Error FFFFFFFF" as before. I haven't looked at parameters yet but that is my next step. Still not positive my cable is correct even though it matches the sheet I uploaded, also have an Xon/Xoff cable I use with my Mazak that exactly matches the one Okuma Tech uploaded. Both with the same result. There doesn't appear to be any form of handshaking going on between the PC and NC so my guess is a particularly odd pinout (broken wire possibly?) or param's still not correct.

Thanks

Looking back through parameters in my book there is no distinction between the READ and PUNCH ports. The book indicates that TT and CN0 are the same. My machine is probably an `84 so I'm guessing this is why it is proving so difficult (early machine).

NJC, sorry for cluttering up your thread.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nlh View Post
    Looking back through parameters in my book there is no distinction between the READ and PUNCH ports. The book indicates that TT and CN0 are the same. My machine is probably an `84 so I'm guessing this is why it is proving so difficult (early machine).

NJC, sorry for cluttering up your thread.

Thanks
    No worries Nate, I've been reading the posts, what helps you also helps me, mine is also an "84" BTW.

I purchased this kit, I'll let you know how I make out, I'm not under power yet.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

Scott

Scott,

Sounds good. I would be interested in the cable if it worked. Still no luck on getting it to read but haven't been able to put much time into it.

Thanks,

Nate

Does anybody know what type and weight hydraulic oil to use in the hydraulic tank in the rear of the machine?

Exclamation Oil

We use Mobil DTE Lite.

Okuma Lubrication

Here you go, this is the standard lubricating chart from Okuma for all of the oils need for their machines. .PDF attachment
    any mechanical or electrical device that transmits or modifies energy to perform or assist in the performance of human tasks

Page 2 of 5 1234