586,103 active members*
3,468 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Looking back... would you "upgrade" to ver22.?(2007)

Looking back... would you "upgrade" to ver22.?(2007)

I have been thinking about upgrading. I'm on ver21. What would you guys do?
    There is so much negative feedback about the new version that I don't want to take that leap. What do the great minds think?

Yes upgrade to Onecnc. XR3

John

I second that.

Were you guys using Bobcad before that?

I still use both versions. Depending on what I am programing it's sometimes eaiser to use the old version to step through and program by hand. I use the new version when I have more complicated stuff and have to use tool offsets.

Yes v22 and back.

Started with V20, then V21 and then V22.

What didn't you guys like about the new version that made you jump ship?

Well, I haven't jumped ship yet but am actively exploring other alternatives. Lack of V22 stability, functions that don't work properly, updates that don't fix the issues they were released to fix, lack of options on certain toolpaths, etc, etc are all reasons. This thread will probably get closed but what I speak is the truth.

Why would they close this thread? I am not bashing. Just a long time Bobcad customer (since ver 17) trying to figure out if I should upgrade. With all of the issues that ver 22 had/has I am leary about purchasing the new version. Isn't that what these forums are for?

I have V21 and V22 and I never use V21. I bought V21 right before 2007 (V22) came out and I soon purchased the V22. So I never really used V21 all that much. To me, V22 is much more in line with other CAM offerings that I had dabbled with. I really liked the CAM tree paradigm with the ability to switch post processors on the fly since I have multiple controllers that I play with.

I find V22 to work like I think. The concept of "features" in the job and all.

I haven't had any issues with stability. I think that comes from the computer that it is installed on. Maybe BobCAD is not robust enough to handle some wacked out situations. But I have not had any problems installing it on a fresh Windows XP system with a decent video card.

The only thing that has really been an issue for me is the pocketing with islands problem. I work around it by using the Zig Zag pattern. It's enough for me and what I do but I can see how others would want more.

I wish that the post processor would include some sort of scripting for V22. I think the post processor is where most people get derailed and have "issues". I had to really do a lot of work to get v22 to post the right code for our less than standard controllers. Scripting would have made this a breeze.

Another thing is that v22 uses a lot of memory. We import a lot of huge mold or part models and you will hit the back of the processor and memory pretty quickly. Picking your geometry on parts like these is painful if you don't have a bunch of RAM. XP will use 3 gig if you have 4 gig installed. For bigger parts, I would suggest at least a 3 GHz processor with 4 Gig of RAM. RAM is cheaper than frustration. But, I would have to say that if you load the same part into V21, it's so slow that we can't even work with it. So V22 seems to be an improvement in this area.

Part rendering is much better in V22 as well. Although I don't do much drawing in V22, I find it to be easier than drawing in V21.

So would I upgrade from V21 to V22? If I had to do it all over again, yes. I like it for the money I spent. Is it perfect? No. But when the pocketing issue goes away and if scripting ever gets into the post processor, I think it will be nice. But if you were used to V21 and lower, V22 will give you headaches. It just operates differently. It's probably better if you never had any prior version experience. I use our v22 more than the guys that had used the earlier versions. I think this is because I just never really learned V21. But they just can't seem to move away and I can understand that. They just know what they want to do and they know how to do it in the earlier versions.

Steve

Why would you buy a program they may be able to fix in 6 to 12 more months.

I would never buy a program you have to put the thing (contour) on top of your geometry to select direction of cut and if you don’t like that direction you have to go to utilities to reverse direction.

Cutter comp will not work in pocketing they took it out it was so bad.

If you ramp in a pocket it will pickup and plunge in other spot in the pocket.

I’m not bashing V22 I paid for a working program.

John

Quote Originally Posted by COMMAND JOHN View Post
    Why would you buy a program they may be able to fix in 6 to 12 more months maybe or maybe not.

I would never buy a program you have to put the thing (contour) on top of your geometry to select direction of cut and if you don’t like that direction you have to go to utilities to reverse direction.

Cutter comp will not work in pocketing they took it out it was so bad.

If you ramp in a pocket it will pickup and plunge in other spot in the pocket.

I’m not bashing V22 I paid for a working program.

John
    Everything you just stated hit on all of my concerns. I think they released it way to early, and now they are losing long time customers. I know I probably won't "upgrade".

Quote Originally Posted by nlh View Post
    Well, I haven't jumped ship yet but am actively exploring other alternatives. Lack of V22 stability, functions that don't work properly, updates that don't fix the issues they were released to fix, lack of options on certain toolpaths, etc, etc are all reasons. This thread will probably get closed but what I speak is the truth.
    I wouldn't worry too much about that Threads get closed when they go way overboard and violate forum rules. You have a right to speak.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Not

Quote Originally Posted by COMMAND JOHN View Post
    Why would you buy a program they may be able to fix in 6 to 12 more months maybe or maybe not.

John
    John
    The program has been out since march 2007 hence V2007. I bought it early. 1st day it was released...6 to 12 months, heck we are going on 15 months and with the 15 upgrades going backwards, fix one issue and in the process break 5 others.... this in not progress !!!! I personally found a use for the disc. I use it as a coaster for my beer, its all its worth. Expensive coaster though, another very dissatisfied customer. Moving to Alibre, they have real support !!! I feel sorry for those stuck with the inferior package. My honest opinion and truth. Why do you think they are still
    selling V21 ?

I have been thinking about trying to sell my V22 on E-bay but for the price I would have to settle for compared to what I payed I may just as well keep it.
    Hoping within the next 6 months I can move up to something else like OneCNC or VisuallMill/Turn.
    I do not recommend this software to those of you in the market. Sure it has it's good points like the parametric ability, but so do 98% or more of the alternatives but without as many issues and with more features.

Quote Originally Posted by nlh View Post
    I have been thinking about trying to sell my V22 on E-bay but for the price I would have to settle for compared to what I payed I may just as well keep it.
    Hoping within the next 6 months I can move up to something else like OneCNC or VisuallMill/Turn.
    I do not recommend this software to those of you in the market. Sure it has it's good points like the parametric ability, but so do 98% or more of the alternatives but without as many issues and with more features.
    Parametric CAM yes but not Parametric CAD. To be competitive in todays market you really need both CAD and CAM to be Parametric. Besides it isn't a lot of fun redrawing solids when customers change their minds or make revisions. Alibre allows you to make changes without recreating from scratch, and now with AlibreCAM (aka MecSoft Visual Mill) you can have a affordable CAD/CAM Package with these functions.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

I have downloaded alibre express, but haven't had the chance to play with it much. Since the more complete versions have CAM pluggins I will have to give it a more serious look.

What's the Ball Park Price for that?

Thanks.