586,047 active members*
3,876 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Need some honest opinions on this CNC VMC.

Need some honest opinions on this CNC VMC.

I'm considering this for my next purchase, i want some honest opinions from thoes that either experienced it first hand, or anyone who would like to just comment on the general specs. This is going to be machining aluminum motorcyle parts in average quantitys. Ranging from 2"x2" to 8"x10" in batches of 100 - 2000 peices.

It's made by Modern Tool, not sure where exactly.

MODERN Model MM-430 Mini Vertical Machining Center

Here's a link to the PDF.
    http://www.moderntool.com/new%20pics...n%20MM-430.pdf

Here's a link to some pictures,
    http://www.moderntool.com/new%20pics...Mini%20CNC.jpg
    http://www.moderntool.com/new%20pics...%20control.jpg
    http://www.moderntool.com/new%20pics...%20spindle.jpg

Price listed is $49,000 CAD. The 4th axis is another $21,000, which seems quite high to me?

Some input would be highly appriciated ..

Some specs below incase you can't view PDF.

Thanks,

Jer

Code:
    C/W: Fagor 8040MC CNC Control

SPECIFICATIONS:

Table:
    Table Size                                                                              35.43” X 16.14”
    Distance Table to Floor                                                        32.28”
    Table Weight Capacity                                                         770 lbs.
    Table T Slots (4)                                                                    .625” X 3.93” Centers

Travel:
    X Axis                                                                                     29.92”
    Y Axis                                                                                     16.93”
    Z Axis                                                                                     15.74” (Std.) 18.11” (Opt.)

Spindle:
    Taper                                                                                      ISO 40
    Spindle bearing I.D.                                                              2.36”
    Spindle Speed                                                                      8,000 RPM
    Spindle center to guide way                                                18.89”
    Spindle nose to table surface                                              4.01” – 22.12”

Ballscrew:
    X Axis                                                                                     Dia. 1.259” X P8
    Y Axis                                                                                     Dia. 1.259” X P8
    Z Axis                                                                                     Dia. 1.259” X P8
    Linear Guideways (Ball) X/Y/Z                                             1.377”
    Modern MM-430 CNC Page 2

Motors: 
    Spindle                                                                                   7.3/10 HP
    X Axis                                                                                     2.84 nm
    Y Axis                                                                                     2.84 nm
    Z Axis                                                                                     8.34 nm
    Coolant pump                                                                        ¼ HP

Automatic Tool Changer:
    Pockets                                                                                  16
    Tool Taper                                                                 BT#40 / CAT#40/DIN69871
    Max tool weight                                                                     11.88 lbs
    Max tool diameter                                                                 3.5” (using all pockets)

Performance:
    Rapid traverse:                                                                      944 I.P.M.
    Positioning accuracy                                                            +/- .00019”
    Repeatability                                                                         +/- .00019”

Dimension &Weight
    10.5 ft x 9.5 ft x 8 ft
    Basic Machine                                                                      7500LBS

Complete With:
    Fagor 8040MC CNC Control, DNC Software,  Coolant System, Work Lamp, Full Enclosure, 16 Tools A.T.C.,  CSA Electrics, Manuals and maintenance tools.
    PRICE . . . . . . . .. . . . . . FOB CALGARY/ EDMONTON  . . . . .  $49,900.00 CDN.
    Options
    4th Axis Table………………………………………………………..$ 21,500. 00

I really like the Fagor control although the 8040 has been obsolete for a few years now. The 8055 is the new improved version.
    I also would never buy a VMC without rigid tapping.
    Specs look good.
    4th axis price is about $6000 high IMO
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

$21,000 is a ripoff. My Haas was ~$11,000 for the 4th axis interface, 6" rotary, and chuck.

I wouldn't buy it. Look at a RoboDrill. Perfectly matches your small part sizes, and is blazing fast. As well as being cheaper.

That looks like a rebadged Milltronics machine. I've heard some complaints about them-mainly that their tables are so soft you can drop a part on them and ding the table.

I contacted Modern and they tell me the Fagor 8055 IA Control is being used now. They also tell me the unit indeed has ridgid tapping.

I agree the 4th axis sounds extremely expensive. Almost 50% of the entire machine price for a 4th axis?

One of the reasons I was looking at this one is it's locally avaliable sales and service wise.

I might look at other options, I don't want to spend $50,000 for a 3axis VMC. And I don't feel it's worth $75,000 with taxes for that setup.

Where are you located? I bought my Cincinnati from them in 2000 and haven't seen or heard from them since (lack luster service).

JP

Hey; That's our MM430 VMC. Bought it last year from Legere Industrial (Ottawa) for just under 50k 3X with FAGOr 8055iA control and a basic tooling package. We really like the machine, especially the FAGOR control (really easy to use). We've had no significant problems or issue with the machine. We avoided the HAAS, as with the same options the HAAS was quoted at close to 75k.

regards
    ----------------
    Can't Fix Stupid