586,051 active members*
3,674 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > What is this thing? And what 'exactly' does it do?

What is this thing? And what 'exactly' does it do?

Got my X axis motor mounted and was trying a few things out with turbocnc. And it seems that I either have a bind somewhere, or the motors just aren't enough (more than likely the motors). The would turn, they just needed a little help in some areas (about the same position along 1 rotation). Very little help I might add.

Anyway, I pulled the table off again, and messing around I think this thingy (that's a technical term right?) that's causing the sporatic binding.

What is it actually called?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MyPicture002.jpg   MyPicture003.jpg  

It looks to me like an 'anti-backlash' nut. You can adjust the slack/wear in the leadscrew (LS) by using the cap screws to pinch the 'free' nut against the thread form.

With regard to the tight spots, does it happen in just one place or several? You say 'some areas' and then 'the same position along 1 rotation' which is a bit confusing. If it is one small area causing problems there could be a number of causes.

Is there a chip embedded in the bottom of the thread at that location which is causing the LS to bind on the nut? If so clean it out using a 'pick' of some sort if it is embedded deeply.

Is the LS slightly bent at that point which is causing it to bind? This might be more difficult to correct and may require the removal of the LS and some careful straightening work.

Is the thread damaged, 'dinged' or burred in any way at that location? If so use a fine, triangular, 'needle' file and carefully file the flanks and the top of the LS threads to remove the problem area (do not file so much off that you further damage the thread form, you only want to bring the raised area of the 'ding'/burr back down to the level of the thread form).

Because you said it was only certain areas causing problems I do not think it is a problem with the nut or nut tension, however, if your motors are only just able to move the axis with no cutting forces involved you may find that they are not powerful enough to drive the axis when you start cutting.

Check your LS again and let us know what you find.

HTH.

Larry

leadscrew looks fine. and the 'nut' looks ok also. What I should have said is that it seems to happen at the same position of rotation on the leadscrew for several inches.

I took everything apart and cleaned it up. Things turn very easily with the handwheel. They are pretty small motors, and I'm sure I"m asking way too much of them. So she's going to get shut down until I get bigger motors.
    What else can go wrong this week? :drowning:

Thanks for the reply Wizard

Slow the motors down. They lose torque the faster they turn.
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by balsaman
    Slow the motors down. They lose torque the faster they turn.
    Tried that also. Slowest I tried was 1.0ipm. Still got the same thing.

But no need to worry, servo kit from Camtronics will be ordered within the next few days. :wee:

Hi,
    I think the problem can be any error in dimensional. The parts can gotta a part (one tooth) more than normal so that when LS pass through it, It found some difficult at that point. I gotta a similar problem and I had to pass over it something to decrease after that the motor movies softly.

What size motors where you using and where they steppers? Are they geared down?

They were just little 60oz things I had left over from an unfinished project. And nope, they weren't geared down.