586,103 active members*
3,096 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > what coolant to use when milling copper?(3d design inside)

what coolant to use when milling copper?(3d design inside)

Hi, im about to mill some copper blocks, heres some 3d designs and figures

the block Is 2”x2”x.75” the channels are .65” deep and I will be using a 1/8” carbide tip router bit, but im unsure of what coolant to use, can I use water, and how would I apply the coolant, I read its hell to mill copper, but im doing this to cool my computer, this is my first time, thx a lot!

also, can you also recommend me at what speed i should drill at, and any other tips, thx!

Exclamation

The only copper I have worked with was 510 alloy. It had a very bad habit of 'gumming' up in the tools. We ended up using a oil based coolant, and machining in small steps to make the parts. We seemed to have most of the problems when the material would get hot, we would make a pass (slot cut) and the material would 'grow' and close up the slot by .01-.015. Try cutting it slow, small steps with plenty of coolant.

im gonna work with 110, i think its..softer, i dunno, can u recommend me a model or brand of oil based coolant?

whats a slot cut?

i dunno, do u guys think i should use diff bits every so often, maybe to save their life span, lol, do u guys know approx how many bits it would take?

Nice heatsink… Have you considered aluminum it is easy to work with and dissipates heat well?

yeah, i think i would rather use aluminum, i can get it for one half the price, but its not as good for cooling, its thermal conductivity at around -40C which is around wat my block is gonna be used for will perform a lot better with copper

I would use Master Chemical's Trim C320, Its sold by quite a few dealers, or you can get it on-line at www.jlindustrial.com. I would start at 65 sfm and .003-.010 per rev for drilling and 125 sfm and .002 per tooth feedrate.

If you were to add a lid, gasket and two hose barbs to your design you could make it liquid cooled.

yeah, i have a lid, but i don't think im gonna cnc mill that, all i need is two holes lol, thx, yeah, liquid cooling though i would prob make the block much thineer, thx though

um thx for the suggestion but, how would i apply the coolant when i mill?

Probably the least expensive way would be a "garden sprayer" like they sell at Wal-mart or Lowe's. That way you could fill it with coolant, pump it up and just spray as your cutting.

how about a small spray bottle?, so all i need it to spraysome coolant every so often onto the copper block while its milling?

I would spray the whole time you are machining.

wow, that much?..okey thx so much everyone!

i would use Spindkool Mist it is a biodegradable coolant so no oil mist and it works great.

Milk is a great cutting liquid for copper!