586,062 active members*
4,532 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Dolphin CAD/CAM > Constant cutting speed macro

Constant cutting speed macro

Anyone have an idea how I can add this to a Post Process? The Crusader M uses an M code for this. What I've done so far is to define m1000 and m2000 as M3 in the M woird list. (don't let that confuse you if you don't know aboyt post processing language. Dolphin named their modals after G and M. So each G modal code has a "G group" name. G1 includes G0, G1 etc. M1 includes M03, M04, and M05)

As M1 was used for the spindle, and M2 was used for coolant, I'm thinkng M3 could be used tof another modal. My question is,

"Are there specific actions within the post processor where each G or M GROUP name has a speific function? What I mean here, Are they specific, or could G2 with cirular interpolation be swapped with G1 Feed speed? Or is the G1 group specifically defined as a feed G-group?"

I ask because if that is the case, I'd need to know the M-group that my constant feed will work in.

Anyway, I'd like to make a Macro which turns the constant cutting speed (or look ahead) on and off as the control says z clear plane versus cutting/machining plane. Probably a lot of IF, Then, and Else, with a few Nulls I imagine.

Anyhow, if someone is running a post for another machine and there Post DOES spit out the proper code for constant speed cuts, could you tell me which one it is, so I can look it up and reverse engineer it?

Thanks

I'm not a post expert but will try to help.

The modal groups are named to follow the examples in the Fanuc and other controller programming manuals, they don't have any intrisic meaning.

I don't know of any posts that have the exact function you are looking for but it would be possible to make the GOTO rule or a macro do what you want eg.

IF $Z >= $CCLEARP then .........
    ELSE ,,,,,,,,,,

Or perhaps something to do with the FEEDRATE like this :-

#F = { [RAPID ? [FEEDTYPE ? ($FPM:FEED) / ($FPR:FEED) ] ] }

ATB
    Andre

Hi,

Sorry, but I think you are going about this incorrectly.

The G and M,S,T codes are supposed to be universal, as in a common language. I know some machine tool manufactures have not strictly adhered to the concept, but most of the basics are the same. G00 should always be rapid and G01 should be linear ( feed rate). M03 should be a spindle on clockwise command. And no you cannot swap code functions.

But I digress. IF the Crusader has a built in constant feed function you need to access it by whatever method Crusader uses. You can't just make up your own code. The function is built into the control.

What you need to do is have your post add whatever command the Crusader needs.

Most machines purposely slow down when coming to a change in direction so as to reduce the wear and tear.

Right, I know that. For the Crusader it is M1000 and M2000. M1000 turns it on, and M2000 turns it off. I think you are confusing the G1, G2 group names as G1, and G2 cmmands. It confused me at first until I figured out they were group names. A confusing thing is Fanuc(?) uses a G code like G96 and G97 for constant feed. Why I was wondering about the model group names and if they were locked in. So my M3 group name for the M1000, and M2000 were the right idea.

I think Andre is pointing me in the right direction. I just need to study Basic some more so I get a better handle of the if, then, else, and null statements. HMMMMM I bet I could use the lead in/out feature as the toggle. When a cutter gets a lead in command, it switches to constant feed..... Lead out stops it for the Z and clear plane moves. This is something Feature CAM does automatically, it'd be great for Dolphin to do it too.

Mr. Wild's Crusader M.PPR... The fame! The fortune! The infamy!

Unfortunatley the lead in/out functions can't be used as they only generate GOTO/GOCLW/GOACLW commands the same as if they were part of the Contour.

I think the best way would be to use the position of the Z axis, if it's "in" the material ie, below the Current Work Work Surface -$CWSURF- then switch it on and if it's above switch it off.

Something like :-

IF $Z < $CWSURF THEN #N "M1000" EOB

(the z is below work surface so it's in the material)

ELSE #N "M2000" EOB

(the z is above the work surface so it's out of the material)

ATB
    Andre

PS - Couldn't restist this from an old Carry-On movie

"Infamy ! Infamy ! they've all got it in for me