586,094 active members*
4,137 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Hi Everybody

Hi Everybody

Hi Everyone
    I'am new here and would apprecieate some help first is there anybody in Qld. i live at the Gold Coast.
    My current project whih i am just starting is toretrofit my Knee mill i have on order stepper motors and drivers and power supply i intend to use Mach3 software.
    Motors are 28nm.torque
    drivers are 15amp per phase
    2000watt 24vdc power supply.
    as far as a pendant is concerned i would like to use a games joystick like i seen on youtube posted by Chich2 a contact by the Chich2 would be apprecieated .
    If anyone has any advise PLEASE TELL ME .
    All help will be apprecieated
    Thank you
    Glenn Schulz
    Acme Metal Products
    0418 761 002

SAITEK P2900 WIRELESS GAME PAD

Hello Glenn,
    First of all, Welcome To CNCZone!!! Yes I have, and still do use a Saitek wireless game pad controller to position my machine. The configuration software that comes with the game pad is very easy to use and configure. From memory (which is pretty rusty) the video you mention, shows the use of the controller starting a "Cycle Start" in Mach3 and also some "Rapid" movements of each axis.
    I purchased the gamepad from Harvey Norman in Cairns on specail...... Can't remember what I paid but it was reasonable.

#####Please Note######
    There is no SAFETY built into the Game Pad. If you rapid in one direction and the link between the Game pad and the PC is broken.. Eg. out of range, no clear signal that you let go of the button.............THE MACHINE WILL KEEP MOVING UNTIL IT HIT'S THE LIMIT SWITCH OR END OF TRAVEL WHERE IT WILL CRASH!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Worst case is that you have just destroyed a cutter by burying it into your half finished job that you were so proud of until the tool went "ping" and turned itself into scrap!!!!!

BE WARNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use it for positioning the tool to the workpiece and zeroing. I have had an instance where I was rapid jogging the machine using the game pad, and when I let go of the gamepad buton, the machine did not stop moving!!!!!

There is a very good pendant available on the Mach forum that uses a "Shuttle Pro". I think if you get your hands onto one of those it is MUCH safer. Mach has the program plugin for the shuttle pro all sorted so all you have to do is download the program and set up the buttons to your liking.
    The other option is to purchase or make your own pendant with MPG (Manual Pulse Generator) like the real CNC machines have. There are threads on CNCZone on making Mach ready pendants.

I hope I have helped answer your questions.
    Chich.

Hi Chich
    Thanks for the info i will try to find the pendant you spoke about ,
    Also do you think the motors i have arriving soon 28 NM. of torque are to much some have told i will have problems with them what they call jogging the reason i went to such a large motor i have had to many experiences in the past when i had motors recommended to me and after building machines with the said motors they turn out not big enough with not enough torque.
    Also the ball screws you used what dia. are they, my Pacific Knee mill (which i bought new from 600 Machinery in 1972 shows what and old guy i am now) are 35mm dia 5 pitch
    I like the idea of the knee as the Z with the air counter balance.
    looking for as much info as i can get before i start

Thank you
    Glenn

Glenn,
    The ball screws I use are imperial. They are 1" X 1/4" pitch. The imperial screws and nuts were cheaper than the metric ones and left hand was moore expensive too. My mill now has right hand threads on all 3 axis.
    I don't think you will have any problems with the motors. My original motors were too small and I experienced "cogging" at low feed rates. Is this what you are talking about???
    So you have a Pacific hey.......... I'm jelous!!!!! I personally like those mills a lot.
    If you CNC convert your knee on your mill watch out for column and base flexing which is what I am currently having problems with at the moment. The Pacific is probably a lot more solid than my chineese rip off. They have done something realy silly in the design of the base. I'm probably going to make a new base to get rid of the flexing.

We look forward to see you start a thread on your mill build.

Chich

Hi Chich
    thanks for the info about the ballscrews, i amde a mistake anyway my screws were 32x5 not 35x5 i may try and source some ballscrews out of china as i have a supplier there that supplies me my electrical parts eg. motors ,plcs , vfds, anything electrical and also if i find a supplier he will check out parts for me and and send for me.and of course the cost is a fraction of what we pay here for the same thing with a well know brand name on it
    The Pacific i have the column and base are the one casting made in spain by the 600 machinery group the machine has varispeed head Hi/Lo box with a wind the handle to spin it up 70-680 low 680-4200 hi.
    I checked out the pendant thanks for the tip.
    What i meant with the motors was i have been told large motors are hard to hold in micro step mode and want to go to full step .
    Maybe some one else maybe able to tell me even though i have ordered the power supply they have to supply 2 X24vdc 41.67 amp total about 83 amp some of the inverter tig welder naw are about 100amp 100% duty cycle and the cost is quite cheap also they are sec. voltage 24-27 vdc and they also have the amps adjustable could one of these welder be used for a power supply ANYBODY KNOW ????
    Chich thanks for the help again
    Glenn