586,119 active members*
3,618 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cutting fluid that doesn't smell?

Hiya Does anyone know a name of a "flood type cutting fluid" that doesnt smell , doesnt eat paint, and doesnt rot.

Im looking to use it in my basement. Thank you

coolant

Try blasocut 2000. It's really worked well in our machines.

Syn-Lube GM and take a look at this tip. It will help no matter the coolant type.

http://www.industrialhobbies.com/how...nt_bubbler.htm

Thanks
    Aaron Moss
    www.IndsutrialHobbies.com
    Aaron Moss

www.IndustrialHobbies.com

Thats funny,
    I accidently went to the page on this site where it showed recent searches by others. The last search was for the word "smelly". I wondered who on earth world do such a search on this site and why.

Now I know that answer.
    Being outside the square !!!

Quote Originally Posted by sendkeys
    Hiya Does anyone know a name of a "flood type cutting fluid" that doesnt smell , doesnt eat paint, and doesnt rot.

Im looking to use it in my basement. Thank you
    I asked a very similar question on a German "competitor" of CNCzone some time ago, and the answers I got was not som much what brand to buy, but what to do.

- Do not let organic matter into your coolant. So keep your sigarette butts, cake crumbs, flies and so on out of it.

- Do not let it cover up with oil. I was advised that in industry they use skimmers to "lick" the oil off of the coolant. The machine will always leak oil into the reservoir. This oil will cover the surface and deny it access to air. This will let anaerobic bacteria thrive.

- Do not let chips get into your reservoir. Let the stream of used coolant go to a separate container where the chips can settle down, then over to the storage. Reason is that the chips increase the surface on which bacteria can grow. Filtering is preferred, but probably not applicable to hobby use due to complexity and price.

- Check concentration on a regular basis. If the solution is diluted by just adding water, it will not be able to kill bacteria as it was designed to. Too high concentration is not desirable either.

I also got some advices on how to deal with this in a hobby environment where skimmers, filters and such is a bit more than desired. And I ended up with cutting the top off of a 20l plastic container and use that as a reservoir. It's much easier to literally keep an eye on the coolant there. If I'm not using it for a while I turn on the pump and just let it pump the coolant straight back in the tank to splash some air into it. One person suggested I mount an aquarium air pump to aerate it. If I can see oil on the surface or on the sides of the tank, I try to remove as much of it as I can.

Regarding the paint, I just assume that the paint stripping properties is a "bonus" I get when it is an effective germ killer. I'll just repaint when it gets too bad. It is something with the paint too. I noticed that an all-brands China XY-table I had mounted were stripped within days, while after my repainting stands up quite well. I believe the solution is very caustic, and some paints stands up much better to this.

All of this is a concentration of the advices I got as I remember it, and may not be correct. I don't know the difference, so exhange bacteria with germs,fungus and possible other lifeforms where applicable.

Ahhhh thank you all very much for your replys Very very helpful