586,051 active members*
3,819 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > MasterCam or CamWorks

MasterCam or CamWorks

Hi, to all
    I work in prototype department and I use CamWorks. I've been using MasterCam for many years. In my opinion МаsterCam it is much better and easy to use, than CamWorks for my problems. I spoke with my boss about МаsterCam. He has told that I should prove that МаsterCam better than CamWorks for us. How can I do it? I understand but I can not pick correct words. Sorry, English isn’t my native language.

Maybe a local dealer could give you information on the benefits of Mastercam. Maybe if you compare Mastercam to Camworks, get all the specs you can on both.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

DRM,

Program the same part with both systems and see which one makes a better CNC program. So simple.

I'm in almost the same spot as you
    Except we have Mastercam, and we have been asked to look at Camworks.
    We like Mastercam but management wants to make sure we are using the "right" CAM package for the company
    Have you found any info yet?

Go out and spend over a 100k and get Catia then over 15k on I-Cam. All of the parts you are doing now in Mastercam can be done in 15 minutes that would take you 40 hours in Mastercam Right Mike. (nuts)

crazythunder try not to egg Mike on please.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    crazythunder try not to egg Mike on please.
    Thank you Cadcam. I appreciate your voice of reason.

Weve had this same discussion here, I'm primarily a Cimatron guy and Mastercam is 2nd but I use solidworks all the time and after reviewing it as Westec I was impressed how nice it integrates with solidworks but I feel its like a 3rd grade program that can do simple arcs and such. But i guess i might be comparing apples and oranges.

I think Cimatron is great too. Very big in Boeing land where I'm from.

Though I do not have the experience with the higher levels of software the suggestions of a side be side comparison is the only way to tell which will be better for your parts.

There is however one flaw in that. You will have test and compare softwares with more than one type of part.

The good thing is that a trial of many will provide an excellent test between the two.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by crazythunder View Post
    Go out and spend over a 100k and get Catia then over 15k on I-Cam. All of the parts you are doing now in Mastercam can be done in 15 minutes that would take you 40 hours in Mastercam Right Mike. (nuts)
    Ron,

You're a very smart guy who can often be very helpful. You have a very good idea where Mastercam X2 is weak and needs improvement and know the program far better than most users. Is there some reason you won't call a Siemens VAR and look at UG CAM Express to see for yourself if UG CAM Express is really better in the areas both you and I know Mastercam X2 is very weak in? Wouldn't this be a far better use of your time than going at it with Mike? I would like to call them myself but I don't have the time and won't for quite awhile as I still have a great deal to learn about Mastercam X2. If you did take a close look at UG CAM Express and talked about the differences in UG CAM Express vs. Mastercam X2 I have no doubt most people would be much more interested in this than in you and Mike going at it over something that's not really measurable or meaningful. Taking the time to really take a long hard look at UG CAM Express might also be a very good solution to solving your MMT problem. Does this seem like a good idea to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jarvis View Post
    Ron,

You're a very smart guy who can often be very helpful. You have a very good idea where Mastercam X2 is weak and needs improvement and know the program far better than most users. Is there some reason you won't call a Siemens VAR and look at UG CAM Express to see for yourself if UG CAM Express is really better in the areas both you and I know Mastercam X2 is very weak in? Wouldn't this be a far better use of your time than going at it with Mike? I would like to call them myself but I don't have the time and won't for quite awhile as I still have a great deal to learn about Mastercam X2. If you did take a close look at UG CAM Express and talked about the differences in UG CAM Express vs. Mastercam X2 I have no doubt most people would be much more interested in this than in you and Mike going at it over something that's not really measurable or meaningful. Taking the time to really take a long hard look at UG CAM Express might also be a very good solution to solving your MMT problem. Does this seem like a good idea to you?
    It's nice to see you acting civily, jon, err, jim.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Interesting that you feel that the specific suggestions I posted to Ron are "civil". I've seen quite a few "civil" threads deleted and posters removed on CNC Zone over the years. What I haven't seen are the specifics of Mastercam compared to UG NX CAM. Instead all we ever get are posts of broad sweeping generalities that are useless. Ron is in a position to change this if he desires to help the Mastercam and UG NX CAM communities make better, more intelligent and informed decisions. There are many people who hope this never happens and will do anything possible to move threads like this into meaningless personal battles which becomes quite boring very quickly.

Some advice?

Hey, I just got hired to straighten out a rapid prototyping machine shop. I have been doing rapid prototyping for 20 years...but in sheet metal. I am very limited in my machining experience, but I am strong on how to use technology to its fullest. This place is programming almost everything at the machine (Hurco VM2's, 42 and TM8 lathes). They have mastercam x, but can not get the post processor to work correctly on the 4rth axis....other issues with post processor also. I have to get these machines used as machines instead of programming stations and get everything programmed in Mastercam X. No luck with mastercam dealer. Can anyone help with post processors for these machines?

unless this is not a legal seat of MC I find it strange that the dealer will not help.
    I think if you can not get the help from the dealer Call CNC Software.
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .