586,106 active members*
3,038 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Employment Opportunity / RFQ (Request for Quote). > Employment Opportunity > Can someone help me with gcode or cad/cam(3dfigures inside)

Can someone help me with gcode or cad/cam(3dfigures inside)

can, someone write a g-code for me?(if not, can you recommend some resources to learn(i've dled bobcad-cam v19.6 demo, will the demo be enough to do some simple stuff?)
    i wish to mill some copper blocks, heres some 3d designs and figures

the block Is 2?x2?x.75? the channels are .65? deep and I will be using a 1/8? carbide tip router bit

i've never done nything with g-code, or cnc milling, could i have some help?, thx! (ps, i did the 3d images using Emachineshops.com demo)

I could be of some help...but I have to tell you something and ask a few questions.

The channels are very deep. Are you aware that this is going to take very long time to be machined. You've mentioned 1/8" endmill which means 1/16" per pass...10 passes at least altogether. Considering the fact that you will probably not be able to machine faster than 5 in/min, this could take a long time..

Is this supposed to be some kind of heat exchanger?

Send me your 3d model in IGS or STP format, or DXF or DWG drawings to:

[email protected]

and I'll see what I can do.

Regards

Peter

oh wow, thx alot peter, but what type of file of formats are those?..cad formats?

i think, maybe itll take me an hour?..1 hour and a half?
    the channel is actually 3/8" (why are all the quotations question marks....sorry about that) but u can see inorder to have more surface (yes im making an heat exchanger, for the cpu and gracphics pu, using phase change, so temps from -40C to ...-120C,)
    nyways, thx alot, but, i have lots of questions on doing cad, so can u give me a couple days?..thx alot!

Sorry, I'm not really sure what you mean by all the quotations being question marks???

You've mentioned that you intend to use 1/8" endmill...in case all the channels are 3/8" minimum, than larger endmill is an option, meaning shorter machining times.

I'm so glad that I've guessed that you intend to make a CPU block......I made a few myself, but for water only. However, you mention phase-exchange type of block...have you ever had a chance to take look at the inside of the Vapochill or similar block? I haven't, but I'm not sure that it should look like this...that kind of block is supposed to be a vaporizer, the place where compressed (liquid) medium (freon or similar) expands into gas with a significant temperature drop (I am sure that you know the theory, but just want to mention that). I am not sure whether there should be a channel in the block with enlargement of cross-section surface along the direction of medium flow inside...I also don't know whether you are going to need some capillary tube entering it or not. If you've already taken care about everything, sorry for mentioning this.

IGS, STP, DWG and DXF are pretty much standard formats...IGS and STP are 3D and the other two are 2D. I would prefer the firs two mentioned, of course...

Regards

yeah, lol, i've never seen wats inside, but, if u there's a large community who make their own evaps (not with cnc mill, most use simple press mill, and therefore can't get as low temps, but many have gotten their's prof milled) and i've sorta analyzed their results, the pins are just for more surface area so the gas can cool it better(the cool gas is trapped between 2 layers of warm gas), so the pins also serve as an obstruction to allow the cool gas to hit the pins, the small maze is also just for more surface area, the captube will be entering rite smackin the middle, the discharge line will be at the end of the maze

also, sorry i was talking about my own post, i had accidentally put a question mark in fron of .65, oops

thx for the suggestion! and i will try and do everything...by friday, thx alot!

also, can u explaing what u mean by endmill, someone has actually mentioned that before, but i didn't have a clue

oh, and how, um detailed does the cad drawing have to be?, can it be like the wire frame structure i posted above?

HawainPand,

When he asked for the file type of IGES or STL. These are different CAD file types. Look in your CAD application under "Export" Or maybe it could be under "Save As" If you find this in the menu structure then a window will appear. Look for a drop down on the window to find the different file types to save as. An IGES file type will have a .igs extension. An STL type will have an .stl extension.

If you can send him one or both of these types of files then NO dimensions will be needed. If you have to send him a 2D file like a .dwg or .dxf you will loose the Z depth data and will need to tell him that information.

An end mill is the tool that does the cutting when a "milling" process is underway. I think they call it "End" "Mill" because it can cut on the bottom "End" as well as on the sides of the tool.

Isn't this learning of CNC and machining fun????
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

ah, okey, lol, but, im wondering if im doing the cad diagram correct, all im doing is sorta copying the wireframe diagram i showed on the first post, is there nything else i need to do?

is this good? tell me if that's...what u need, lol, im a bit worried, if u say u can work with that, ill email it to u riteaway

As HomeCNC explained (for which I thank him), when you get a model like this (or like a previous one) just do the following:

File
    SaveAs
    choose *.IGS or *.STP format
    Save

That'll do the job.

okey, ill email it to u tonite, but tex, im um, sorta worried, i dunno the correct terms, but the bit im using is 1/8" in diameter cutting edge, im not worried about the corners, as i don't really care

Ah, no, u can see in the screen shot, the entire block except for the pins(the columns) are filled in and rendered as solids?what do I have to do to maket he entire block a solid?

A solid model can be one complete part that is a solid, or it can be made up of many solid components such as the individual pillars in your heat sink, sometimes it is necessary to pull all these individual components into one complete solid, in my software you would use the "Union" function.

Solids components are created from several methods I am familiar with:
    1) surfacing all the sides of a wire frame and then using a "Merge" or "Union" function that pulls all those surfaces into a single solid component.
    2) Built into the CAD software basic 3D solid shapes like cubes, cones, cylinders, etc where you define the location and dimensions.
    3) Creating a surface on say a 2D square frame and extruding it down or up into a cube, you can do this with essentially any drawn 2D shape In my software this requires that the shape be level in Z I.E. not tilted, after it is extruded you can rotate/ move/tilt to any desired position.

okey, i grouped them together, except for the columns as i couldn't...wouldn't let me..but when i go render it, now all i see are the columns...

I would suspect that if is not solid rendering any thing but the columns then only the columns are solids. Possible there is a rendering setting that will show the wire frame stuff and solids combined. "Grouping" in the softwre I use does not make a solid.

If you are like most guys, you just want to dive in and get your hands dirty, I did too. I have heard that BobCad has very good tutorials, I would suggest you take a look at page one and work from there.
    All CAD programs have a substantial learning curve, especially for those of us with out any previous knowledge or experience. It is apperant that you are working hard on this but you may need to work "Smarter" along with hard. Go through the tutorials and that should really make your CAD life easier.

do you know where i can find these tutorials?, i can't seem to find it on their site
    thx alot btw, lol, i prob should of read them first, but i have to be quick, i have to start milling as soon as i can