586,251 active members*
3,560 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hardgine CHNC II turret problems

I have a Hardinge CHNC II and I am having problems with the turret. When indexing, it hangs up. I cannot find a technician in my area to come look at it and have been on the phone with Hardinge for a number of hours with no solution to the problem. Does anyone here have any suggestions or recommendations for this problem?

try the practicalmachinist.com message board. they are discussing this topic

Without knowing exactly what you mean by hanging up, I'd guess the cushion assembly is coming apart

Hardinge CHNC II Turret problems

I seem to be having several problems with the turret which makes it hard to diagnose one problem. The problem started during setting up a job. I was getting an alarm that stated that the turret did not agree with the position. But when I hit reset, everything went to normal. The turret always was seated. Then when I started running a program, and I would move in position to index the turret, as soon as the next tool number came up, the turret would just come up and spin several times, missing the next station, but then would seat.
    When the problem got worse, it would spin continuously without seating, but I could hear the stop piston firing every time. I would have to reset to get the turret to stop indexing.
    I called Hardinge and they told me to slow the turret speed down, it should take approx 1.5 seconds to make a full revolution. After doing this, the turret started seating prematurely, which stopped the air and gave the alarm "turret is not properly seated." After resetting the machine several times, I learned that you could slightly push the turret counter-clockwise and it would seat.
    I called Hardinge back, and I was told to adjust the cushion valve. I adjusted it significantly in small intervals, both tightening and loosening, which never actually helped the problem. I called Hardinge back, and they told me to advance the encoder magnet. I advanced and retarded the encoder magnet in small intervals which never solved the problem.
    The problem that is occuring now, is sometimes the turret indexes fine manually and calling it up on MDI, but not consistently. Sometimes it seats prematurely and sometimes it over indexes before it seats.
    I was told by Hardinge that when I shut the machine down, to press the E-Stop button, then turn the machine on and try to index the turret manually, it should index one station and the turret will be left in the up position and then when I press the turret index again, it will seat in that position. Sometimes it does this...other times it indexes a complete station and seats. And sometimes, it catches in between.
    I have noticed that the speed of the turret indexing is not consistent. When I adjust the turret speed valve, the adjustment is not consistent. Sometimes when I adjust a slight turn, it speeds up real fast, but then it might take a 1/4 turn to slow it down.
    I had a technician come out and he seems to be stumped also. He told me to replace the encoder to see if that helps. We both agree there is more than one problem.

Email me if you never solved this problem. If you are withing 4 hours of Philadelphia, PA we will get you straightened out. We have had to follow Hardinge on this type of job a few times now.

you need check BIT SETTING for turret station, just move magnet carrier on the turret encoder and the following will be displayed on the screen.

also you need the SEAL of the turret part #001119802Y

T1 0001
    T2 0010
    T3 0011
    T4 0100
    T5 0101
    T6 0110
    T7 0111
    T8 1000

[email protected]
    Have a Nice day