586,103 active members*
3,258 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Why do people post and disappear?
Page 1 of 2 12

Angry Why do people post and disappear?

Hi all,

Have you ever noticed that people take the time to register here then ask one question and never return? I don't get it.

Smile Intimidation Factor

Mike,

The first time coming to the Zone can be overwhelming to a new member.
    There is so much information, and that can be very intimidating.

I believe that since some of the older members are seasoned veterans they might tend to be a little short or seem to talk down to the new member.

Its easy to forget that, in order to teach you have to take your time.

When the new member does not get a answer right away they think they are being snubbed or they might lose there patience and leave.

Many of the new members never get welcomed to the Zone, its not easy to be a outsider.

The wealth of talent, information, ingenuity. and generosity of the CNC Zone are why they should stay.

There are to sides to every coin.

Jeff...

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    Mike,

I believe that since some of the older members are seasoned veterans they might tend to be a little short or seem to talk down to the new member or when the new member does not get a answer right away they think they are being snubbed.

Very few new members get welcomed to the Zone.

Just my two cents worth,

Jeff...

my .02

I am a member of a forum that has far more rules, and far less welcoming members and it is one of the largest internet forums in the world with 100,000+ members and 2.5 million threads. (63 million posts)

I would say its a tie between the unwelcoming layout (this site has way to many sections, fewer sections would mean faster replies) and that when most people register, its because they have a problem that they couldn't find by searching and only stay for the problem discussion.

Post way to many sections

Kyle,

Very good point, I agree 100 percent.

Jeff...

Quote Originally Posted by KyleH2 View Post
    my .02

I am a member of a forum that has far more rules, and far less welcoming members and it is one of the largest internet forums in the world with 100,000+ members and 2.5 million threads. (63 million posts)

I would say its a tie between the unwelcoming layout (this site has way to many sections, fewer sections would mean faster replies) and that when most people register, its because they have a problem that they couldn't find by searching and only stay for the problem discussion.

It's a hectic world. Some people are too busy to get hooked on forum posting. Others may be too busy reading the forum to post. (There is a tremendous amount of knowledge here.) Many are just too shy.

CR.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stevenson View Post
    Hi all,

Have you ever noticed that people take the time to register here then ask one question and never return? I don't get it.
    I don't get it either. I also don't get why it is the fault of existing members 'intimidating' newcomers, or why it is the fault of a very comprehensive forum.

Still I guess if they did stay around then they would become familiar and probably start intimidating also.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Hopefully they are all out making chips

I'm mostly new, and posting my "I thinks" vs. the "I knows" of some of the very experienced and knowledgeable people here for me is imposing. But hey, I'll sometimes contribute if I can. It's not often! You can also easily wait, and watch for a really good answer.

Lurk long enough, and you can start to answer the FAQ's. There is a ton of specialized info... and it is hard to grasp it all.

Mike

Hi Mike. Nice post. Welcome to the Zone!

CR.

Hi All,

Although fairly new and not posting very often, I do read ALL that I can on this forum. Usually attempting to find information on what I am presently doing on my project.

The people who post are many and the information is tremendous. In my own build, taking too long, I constantly come up against something or other for which I need data. I search and read. Then I draw it up and then I make another part. Not being a machinist or electronic technician, it is hard but can be done.

All the comments to various questions are extremely informative. I think the people are great and very seldom have I read anyones posts and seen the seen the shortness. Then they immediately apologize. Perhaps, I will contribute more as time goes on. Now I just post when I feel support is needed.

Al

Hi Al. I like your hat. Welcome to the Zone! How about starting a new topic with details so far? I look forward to reading it.

CR.

It is good to remember to take some posts with a grain of salt as well.
    We all have a different sense of humour and different experiences.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Quote Originally Posted by DareBee View Post
    It is good to remember to take some posts with a grain of salt as well.
    Only one grain???!!!
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stevenson View Post
    Hi all,

It one thing to ask a question and if answered, disappear, without acknowledging whether the problem was solved.
    You sort of chalk it up to their problem solved, maybe.
    But it is the ones that either post an engineering design problem or a machine failure with a vague question, when a clarifying question is asked in return, Nothing!
    Maybe they think it will sound like a stupid answer?

But there are a few of 'My machine died, any ideas'
    But I really don't see anyone getting impatient with it.
    I always look at the country of origin, as it may be a language problem.
    Not like one similar site I could mention, that shall be nameless,
    But if you make one slip, or show a sign of weakness, there are instances where they put the boots in!
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks for all the replies gentlemen. I appreciate the input.

i think many members come on here to see the diy projects and register in order to have the benefit of viewing the pics , thats what brought me to register , suppose it's become a hangout since
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    It one thing to ask a question and if answered, disappear, without acknowledging whether the problem was solved.
    You sort of chalk it up to their problem solved, maybe.
    But it is the ones that either post an engineering design problem or a machine failure with a vague question, when a clarifying question is asked in return, Nothing!
    Maybe they think it will sound like a stupid answer?

But there are a few of 'My machine died, any ideas'
    But I really don't see anyone getting impatient with it.
    I always look at the country of origin, as it may be a language problem.
    Not like one similar site I could mention, that shall be nameless,
    But if you make one slip, or show a sign of weakness, there are instances where they put the boots in!
    Al.
    Maybe a good time for me to make another post.
    It's hard to ask anything other than a vague question, if your knowledge about the topic is very limited.
    Al was kind enough to answer one of my last post, but the answer was short and to the point which left me about where I was before the question.:violin:

My imagination being far ahead of my knowledge I did express my desire to have a single item serve two purposes. A transformer being quite heavy that would also serve as a flywheel.

After about two weeks there have been no questions, comments, or criticisms.
    So now my questions are, is this just stupid, or has no one ever thought of doing it, or is it just not possible, and a few others.

We all have our brilliant areas, and our stupid areas, so the communication of people between these zones is sometimes taxed.
    I am grateful to Al that he answered, but my lack of knowledge about transformers makes it hard to find the right information, or to word a more specific question.

I hope this fits with the OP.

RonL

Quote Originally Posted by RonL View Post
    Al was kind enough to answer one of my last post, but the answer was short and to the point which left me about where I was before the question.:violin:
    Ron
    The problem is when answering question which are sometimes vague, nothing wrong with that, but often questions have to be asked to clarify what the other person intends on doing, he may have a clear picture in his mind, but this has to be relayed somehow to those being questioned.
    In the case in point, I still do not have a clear picture as to what you intend.
    Use an electronic transformer in a mechanical flywheel application??
    A picture is worth a 1000 words!
    Maybe I should have asked more questions.
    But when replying to many posts, including all the PM,s that are asking for data to be sent etc. the amount of time put into typing an explanation can get as long as this one is:tired:
    So often the minimum is typed in, in an effort to elucidate a better idea.
    When the gist of the problem is clear, then more effort can be used in offering a reply.:idea:
    Whew!
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al,

You are the Man. Well put.

If you go the route of transformers encased in the flywheels, keep in mind an electrical connection called a slip ring. I used to live near a company that manufactured them. I think it was bought by MOOG. Hopefully you can transmit the power without having anything that you might touch energized.

Might also be handy in carrying electrical suppy and controls to a turret post

Hope that helps

Mike

Hi

I am pretty new here and have only posted twice. Both giving my take on some question asked.
    I Probably will post a lot in the future when I have something to say. A lot of the problem with the one timers is that a lot of young people have the thought in there head (I want it all and I want it all now) if it takes a while to get a reply they just go away.
    I am a retired machinist that was in business for myself for a long time, my little shop was me
    What I did was prototype stuff. Bring me a sketch and your idea and I will figure it out and make the prototype.
    I Know a lot of stuff and am willing to share it with anyone.
    see you all later.

BudP

Page 1 of 2 12