586,744 active members*
5,756 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Fagor 8055 controller VS Thermwood 91000

Fagor 8055 controller VS Thermwood 91000

I am getting ready to upgrade my CNC machine. I have a Multicam 3 axis right now- but because of the volume/profitability of my 3d work- I will be upgrading to a used 5-axis machine. The machines in my price range are mostly Thermwoods with the os/2 91000 controllers, and motionmasters with the fagor 8050/8055 controllers. Does anyone here have experience using these controllers for one-off 3d parts/tooling?

I have heard good things about Thermwood's support of used machines, but for some reason I have the impression that Fagor is a more flexible/robust controller.? Whad you think?

Any recommendations or suggestions would be much appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Bag-o-chips

Hi BOC.
    The Fagor control has been up for quite a few discussions lately.
    Please search the word Fagor here and read those posts.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Place I worked before this we had 4 Motionmaster 5 axis with Fagor controllers used for tooling for thermoforming, worked very well for us. Now I'm stuck with 3 Multicams. Even though Motionmaster is no longer in business some of the same people from MM are out there and available for service/support. Can't speek for the Thermwood, we had a Thermwood relic that I didn't like, wouldn't be fair for me to judge them, that machine was older than dirt.....point to point programming and 5" floppys, lmao. I'll probably have nightmares tonite now. Really miss the Fagors, Multicams
    are pretty limited.

the Motionmaster does not have unlimited C axis movement like the DMS router. DMS will service your router. The Fagor control is an excellent controller for 3d. It mid starts and changes position on the fly quickly once you get to know it. I like to stay away from proprietary controllers like Thermwood. Get the DMS you won't be disappointed. Their service department is much better now.

thanks Miterman, I ended up buying a new DMS 5-axis machine. I've worked it pretty hard over the last 3 years and it has been a great machine. Also, the service dept at DMS has been great. The couple times I've needed spare parts they were air shipped to me and showed up the next day. The fagor controller has been a big upgrade since the Multicam. I recently sold the Multicam and bought a used Motionmaster 3-axis as a replacement because I like the flexibility of the fagor and the robust construction of the Motionmaster.

I would buy a 3 axis Motionmaster any day. They are bullet proof. I upgraded the controller from the original for ethernet and DMS upgraded it to 8055 for only $1500.