586,594 active members*
2,776 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 4 1234
    There's a really good possibility, yes These other rails seem very solid and might work perfectly - I'd have to figure out how and where to put the lead screw - which is what I'll be doing next

Hey guys - got a little update... started playing around with mounting the Z axis rails this weekend - I'm sure they will be sturdy enough - but now I'm worried about the X axis rails - and will probably bolt everything together with the plans to replace them in the near future with help from my other project I've been working on check out the site for the update and the new project!

UPDATE IS HERE
    NEW PROJECT IS HERE

nice

Saweeeet!
    You are making great progress.... it looks* like a machine already!
    get 'r done

I've been thinking about it and I think that I will add another X "Rail" and two more of those MDF bearing trucks - I think that will really solidify things and will completely prevent that little bit of flexing I was getting with just the one X Axis Truck - plus I already have one side of the truck CNC'd so I just have to make one more and throw another bar on

a week or so...

it's been a week or so....
    any updates ???/

Sorry guys - been sick for over a week and just coming out of it - so I haven't done a thing

although - my cement for my furnace should be dry by now - so I think I'll probably start melting some aluminum and possibly make my bearing trucks from AL instead of MDF

but of course I'll post pictures!

Jamie

dead?

dead or alive?

Yup - the project is still alive

I'm still in the figuring out how to cast aluminum so I can make some parts for the machine though... I am melting the aluminum just fine now - now I gotta work on the casting part

Still Alive

Yup - this project is still alive... trying to still make progress in casting aluminum parts for it and I'm making some progress on that end so hopefully I'll be posting pics soon of the new parts!

Finally - Some Progress

While not a whole lot of progress on the machine itself - I've completed (pretty much) my other supporting projects! I now have a Aluminum Foundry where I can make parts for the machine now!

Some updates on those projects (if you're interested):

I built a few burners for the foundry - check those out HERE

I've also upgraded the foundry with actual refractory cement! - check the latest furnace out HERE

There's also a picture of my first official cast part (lost foam method)

and I did also update the CNC project showing the new part too go HERE for that!

Hope you enjoy the pics and story

Hey Guys!

Made a little progress on the machine this weekend! I cast the Z Axis lead screw bearing holders and installed them - check out a few different views of my Z Axis here: http://www.jamiecunningham.name/proj....html?start=12

Thanks!

Hello everybody!

This project is STILL alive I bought a Shopsmith and have had a diversion for the past few months! but I'm jumping back on this one and going to hit it hard for the next few weeks at least!

if the Shopsmith and woodworking projects interest you - there's a few posts at my site

http://www.jamiecunningham.name

Oh - and I WILL be building some kind of CNC tool holder for the Shopsmith Lathe!

Major Update

Hey guys!

Worked yesterday (and plan to today) on some new ideas for the CNC!

After browsing a few new threads I had a couple of ideas for yet another linear bearing... Here's a teaser pic and the full write up is at my site - HERE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 49-LinearTruck.jpg  

Still Racking

Hey guys!

After working this last idea I thought for sure it would be solid - the rails run so smooth and are really tight - but once I put one on each side and connect a beam between them it still racks! ugh...

There's something inherently wrong I guess with the plan... Should I abandon the center drive screw idea and just drive both sides or is there something else I should look at to prevent the racking?

if I should drive both sides - should I get another axis controller and motor or drive both sides with a belt or something?

Thanks for any tips!

Read through this thread. It might give you some ideas.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51485

:idea:
    I live in my own world, but that's ok they know me here.

ah yes! Thanks so much for reminding me of that thread - I'd read it a while ago and completely forgot (at the time I wasn't interested in racking so didn't really pay attention and commit it)

Thanks I'll give that a try!

Racking Solved!

Alright! Thanks BigMike for the link to that thread - totally solved the racking problem for me!

I'll attach a few pics and here's a link to the full pictures and video of the latest post

http://www.jamiecunningham.name/proj...2.html?start=6
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 63-LinearTruck.jpg   61-CNCUnderside.jpg   60-TruckAndCableUnderside.jpg  

You are welcome. I was glad to be of service.
    :banana:
    Mike
    I live in my own world, but that's ok they know me here.

Alright! made a little progress in the last week (made a lead screw nut from Delrin and the Nema 23 motor holder) but we went on a little vacation and couldn't post anything until now

http://www.backyard-workshop.com/pro...2.html?start=7

I also redesigned the site and gave it a new name! Let me know what you think

http://www.backyard-workshop.com

I also made a video of the entire casting process for the motor holder - from foamy to finishing if anyone's interested I'll be posting that up a little later
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 69-DelrinLeadScrewNutInstalled.jpg   72-MotorMount.jpg  

Lost foam video

Hey guys - as promised I posted up a video of me going through the lost foam aluminum casting process for that motor mount... in case anyone's interested

http://www.backyard-workshop.com/pro...oam-video.html

Page 3 of 4 1234