586,408 active members*
2,974 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: C6 brands?

C6 brands?

I've decided to purchase a C6 lathe, and looking for a specific brand now. So far I believe that Grizzly's G0602 is a C6, but it seems that the G0516 is also a C6 but with a milling attachment. Also, this model 7900 from ToolsNow seems to be a C6. Any other brands (here in the US)? Thanks.

The Grizzly G0516 has a 3/4" spindle bore, a MT3 spindle taper, and a MT2 tailstock taper while the Grizzly G0602 has a 1" spindle bore, a MT4 spindle taper and a MT3 tailstock taper. The machine from ToolsNow is like the G0516 but without the milling attachment.

Alan

Whereas I know that there each brand (or I should say "source") for these lathes have their own little variations, I also found this page which seems to indicate that that G0516 is really the C6. I'm asking because I was planning on picking up Syil's C6 CNC conversion kit (and a C6 lathe), but Syil says that they don't know which of these C6-sized lathes are actually the C6. I need to be sure so I know the kit will work.

So I need to step back and ask a more elementary question -- anyone know exactly which lathe is a C6?

Cheers,
    -Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by cnczoner View Post
    Whereas I know that there each brand (or I should say "source") for these lathes have their own little variations, I also found this page which seems to indicate that that G0516 is really the C6. I'm asking because I was planning on picking up Syil's C6 CNC conversion kit (and a C6 lathe), but Syil says that they don't know which of these C6-sized lathes are actually the C6. I need to be sure so I know the kit will work.

So I need to step back and ask a more elementary question -- anyone know exactly which lathe is a C6?

Cheers,
    -Neil.
    Neil,

In my book the difference between a 3/4" spindle hole and a 1" spindle hole is more than "a little variation". The difference between an MT2 and MT3 tailstock taper is likewise more than "a little variation". You are talking about significantly different machines.

My suggestion is to go to the Sieg website and try to identify the C6 specifications and see if that at least eliminates one or two of the machines from the list.

Alan

Neil,

I just went to the Seig website. It says that the C6 has a MT3 spindle taper and a MT2 Tailstock taper. That would seem to indicate that the G0602 is not a C6 lathe. At a minimum the G0602 would seem to have to have a different head casting (larger spindle bearings) and a different tailstock casting and tailstock barrel.

Alan

Thanks Alan. I just found that too, but now there is a C6 model 400 and a C6 model 550, which has different distance-between-centers, and that would definitely be a factor for the ballscrews.

Having the larger spindle would've been nice, but I have to go with what fits the Syil CNC kit. Here is the page with more info... http://www.mini-lathe.com/C6_lathe/C6/c6.htm

Still much research to do.

Cheers,
    -Neil.

Neil,

Do you have a mill also?

I was just curious why a kit as opposed to doing it yourself. Mainly because, if I were to do one I would choose the one with the larger spindle hole. I have a 9x20 and have wished many times that the spindle hole was just a little bigger. So much so, that I also bought a 12x36.

Alan

Alan,

I do have a CNC mill, but I need to convert to ballscrews and those have been sitting in a box for a few months, as I'm not sure how to even get the ends turned down etc. I'm not a machinist, and CNC was supposed to absolve me of becoming a machinist overnight, and it actually has mostly done so, though not completely. I had been meaning to convert my 7x10 to CNC a few years ago, but there's always a more important priority, especially since I know I won't do it perfectly and get frustrated. I'd get some measurement wrong and end up slotting some holes or something like that. If I had a bolt-on kit, I would make the time to convert this, because I know the result would be correct.

I don't need the extra capacity of a larger lathe, but I agree that the 10x22 would be ideal, specifically because it's the heaviest (sturdiest) 110V lathe I know of. But no CNC kits I know of for those.

I mostly need this for machining aluminum tube, approx 2" OD, but sometimes from 1" to 3.5" dia. Mostly prototypes, but some very low-volume production. The floods in Iowa last week caused me some delays and panic in not being able to reach the shop that does my production parts, so I have decided to get enough backup machinery to not be shut down in case this happens again.

Actually, if I could just find the plans to convert a 10x22 I could probably program it into the mill and make the mounts. Or I would pay someone to make the mounts and the ballscrews for me. Sourcing, mounting, installing the motors, wiring, etc would be easy, and my intention is to re-use the existing drivers, PS and PC from the mill with the lathe.

BTW, Syil does offer a turnkey CNC C6, but I think it's about $1k too high, and it hurts to spend money when I can't justify it.

Cheers,
    -Neil.

C6 & Syil

I bought a G0602 about 4 months ago and comparing it to a friends Toolsnow 7900 confirms beyond a shadow of a doubt that these two machines are absolutely not the same nor even remotely related. The G0602 is a significantly larger machine. For me the kicker was the 1" spindle bore - i've already put that extra 1/4" of capacity to use and have been very glad about my decision. BTW when you're comparing the cost of these machines make sure to include shipping - grizzly has worked out such better deals with their shippers that I literally paid less out of pocket to receive to my house a lathe which cost $150 - $200 more than the other machines I was looking at (7900 and lathemaster)

I have a syil SX3 CNC and I have to say as of the last bit of support i've been getting from them (or lack thereof) I wouldn't be doing additional business with them. I think the price they have on their ready to go CNC'd C6 is really high. I've purchased all of the parts for my conversion and I think I'll have the full conversion done for under $2500 (including the lathe purchase). And thats not really cutting too many corners - I'm using ball screws(5/8s) and geckos (G203s).

If you want to buy one - I recently ran into a fellow who is selling complete G0602 CNC kits for $3250 which I think is a fantastic deal - more than a thousand less than syil and for what is in my opinion a better machine. I'm not affiliated with him in any way (in fact I just found his site and thread earlier today). his website is www.d3cnc.com in case you want to have a look to check out some other options.

Best,

Lee