586,082 active members*
3,668 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > Printing, Scanners, Vinyl cutting and Plotters > Problems exporting Corel text files as DXF

Angry Problems exporting Corel text files as DXF

I've had to run a few sign jobs for some sign shops that I do work for. When a text is created in Corel and exported as a DXF, upon importing into my Enroute 2.5 D software, the text comes up distorted.

Sometimes it's just that some of the nodes are a little askew, sometimes it's all squirrelly.

We've tried outlining the text, converting to curves, exporting to DXF as curves...
    We've even tried converting the text to DXF in Corel Composer, then importing in Corel X3 as a DXF, and the same thing happens.

It just doesn't want to come out clean.

Any thoughts as to why, or suggestions?

Cheers

Sorry to say it but that seems to be the norm for Corel.

Even converting to a simple vector format usable in Illustrator, letters come out distorted, cut in pieces.

Personally, I would recommend Illustrator.................
    but you didn't want to hear that!

~Kevin

try this method:

First don't do ANY transformations on the lettering before you convert to curves. Do the convert to curves first.

Then try doing a DXF export with a VBA tool sold by CandCNC. It is called DXFTool.

http://www.candcnc.com/DXFTOOLDetails.htm

Caveat: I am the author of this tool.

-James Leonard
    James Leonard - www.DragonCNC.com - www.LeonardCNCSoftware.com - www.CorelDRAWCadCam.com - www.LeonardMusicalInstruments.com

I no longer convert to curves for text in Corel since it's nice to ba able to come back to the file and change the objects as text. The problem with CorelDraw (and Illustrator as well) is that the DXF export segments everything (expecially curves) into hundreds of short line segments.

The program James listed (DXFTool) replaces the flawed Corel DXF export filter and maintains curves, circle and arcs. At worst it breaks non-symetrical arcs into arc segments (the way g-code has to do to cut an arc with a variable radius)

The unknown here is the enRoute import filter. Some imports work good, some not so. DXF is a moving target that gets changed by AutoDesk at their whim.

Since we sell and support DXFTool (and use it daily) we happen to think it's the best solution but full disclosure on our part is hereby given