586,071 active members*
3,743 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

spindle wont turn

I purchased (2) used Partner 6's with the Centurion 5 controlers. These were running machines that were actually making parts when I bought them. I've now got them all set-up and ready to run in my shop, but when I run a progran the spindle wont turn. Even when I try running one of the previous owners old programs the still spindle doesn't turn.
    Does anyone have any idea what's wrong?

Sorry, i thought it was a lathe, my mistake

I've seen some spindles that won't run unless the coolant is on.

We have a milltronics and the operator came to get me because the machine wouldn't work anymore. He had the spindle overide turned all the way down to 0.

Quote Originally Posted by jkinz56 View Post
    I purchased (2) used Partner 6's with the Centurion 5 controlers. These were running machines that were actually making parts when I bought them. I've now got them all set-up and ready to run in my shop, but when I run a progran the spindle wont turn. Even when I try running one of the previous owners old programs the still spindle doesn't turn.
    Does anyone have any idea what's wrong?
    Try commanding a S500M3 in the MDI menu. Does the spindle turn on then? Does the control think that the spindle is on? In the information box, does it say the spindle is OFF, CW, or CCW? What is displayed on the spindle inverter when you command the spindle to rotate?

Try and hit the tool change reset button if the spindle works after that then you have a limit switch shorted to ground

Quote Originally Posted by mholden View Post
    Try and hit the tool change reset button if the spindle works after that then you have a limit switch shorted to ground
    I am having that exact problem with my vm30. That is a short problem? My repair tech was going to chase it through some relay board in the back. Could it be any limit switch, or is there a specific one I should look for.

The limit switches go to terminal block 6 7 8 and 9
    unhook the wires and see if any are shorted to ground terminal 6 to 7 is the X axis 7 to 8 is the Y axis and 8 to 9 is the Z Most likely the X or Y wires are shorted the switches should not be the problem.

You have obviously turned the spindle by hand. I have had the orient stuck and had to "unstuck " it.