586,113 active members*
3,495 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

HAAS for production?

We currently have an OKK KVC600 and we are looking to replace it with 2 smaller machines. I am not in control of the purchasing or even the choosing of what machines we get but could potentially be persuasive.

Now I'm not sure on the exact models we are looking at but they will be brand new taper 50 machines. My question is how well do HAAS machines do in a full production environment. These will be ran during 2 ten hour shifts 5 days a week and subjected to operators not machinists. How will they do?

I have been running many Haas machines on one ten hour shift four days a weeks for years and they do fine. We machine mostly aluminum and leaded steel and have fairly generous tolerances like +/-0.0005" so the machines are not pushed very hard.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Thanks... we are running plain carbon steel to the same tolerances as you. Lets just hope these machines work out for us!

We have two VF2-SS machines with trunnions on them that run for two shifts per day five days per week with ±0.03mm tolerances that have been very reliable for the past three years.

Andrew.

HAAS is okay by me!

Thanks for the replies guys... does anyone know of a good resource for learning HAAS controllers? All we have now are Fanuc and Meldas so not really anybody at the plant knows how to work on a HAAS yet. I know the machines will come with manuals, but any info I cant get beforehand will be awesome!

Thanks again!

Thanks Luke,

I will check that link out!

Quote Originally Posted by jeff.kindred View Post
    .....I know the machines will come with manuals, but any info I cant get beforehand will be awesome!

Thanks again!
    This should get you a pdf of the Mill Manual, all 12.0 MB that you can download and save.

It is a long read but well worth, and I recommend spending plenty of time learning the features of the Haas editor on the controller. Based on comments I have seen here on CNCzone I think it is very different to other machines and I think a lot of people using Haas do not know its full capabilities.

EDIT: It might be a good idea to actually include the link!

http://www.haascnc.com/customer_serv...mc/96-8000.pdf

Too early in the morning, no coffee yet
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Thanks Geof,

That is really good info and it is that absolutely newest rev too! Very much appreciated!!!

jeff.kindred,

Coming from Fanuc I don't think you will have any problem at all.

Ditto

Haas is a very easy transition from fanuc. yes, there are differences, but the learning curve is short.

We have been running a 10 year old vf-1 in production, machining mostly aluminum, leaded steel, plastics, some 303ss. Very pleased with it.

If your looking at horizontals i strongly urge you to stay away from the HS series, we have 2 that are in 24/6 production repearability is excellent but the design is to week for constant production. I've herd the EC series is alot better improvement though.