586,369 active members*
3,350 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > adding external limit switches

Question adding external limit switches

i've been given the task to add a limit switch to both pallets of my HS2-RP ( HMC ) that will check to make sure the parts are clamped before the pallet changes.

I have plenty of unused and spare variables in my deiscrete inputs 2
    and know how to write the macro make the check for the switch, but i dont know how to wire the switch in, and cannot find anything in the manual on it.

Any ideas on how to wire it in would be a great help.

I have found that as well. I am trying to wire in to my extra M functions and its so hard to get info about it. I asked a Haas Tech. at out local Haas Demo Day this week, and got some info I needed but not all. Try calling your HFO and see what you can get out of them.
    I'm not lazy..., I'm efficient!
    HAAS GR-408

on the left side of the io board most of the small connectors are inputs what you have is a sinking logic, basically you have to take a ground wire and short it to one of the inputs and you should see the diagnostic change from say one to zero the input address can be found out by using the diagnostic page the input addresses i believe start with 1000 on the diag page the top left bit would be 0 and 1 would be next going down so say #1000 would be tool changer in and #1001 would be tool changer out there are more inputs and the second page but i cannot remember what number they start with. there is more info in the service manuals. you may also be able to use he m-fin. you can basically wire as many inputs as you want to the m fin in parallel and check for the m fin before doing to the next line. so if the pallet comes down and the switch changes state the pallet clamped. if m fin does not cycle then alarm. good luck
    REYTECH Machine Service Corp. CNC repair NY, NJ
    http://www.reytechmachine.com

Go to the Mill Manual pdf on the Haas website, here is a link, search the pdf using M-FIN or user M function and you will find some description of what serviceman is referring to. Also go through the Haas Mills forum and you will find some threads about these, I posted some pictures of the location of the contacts in one of them.

http://www.haascnc.com/customer_serv...mc/96-8000.pdf
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I thought of using the M-fin function but decided not to when i relized my machine only has one M-fin input. since i have to pallets i need to monitor the switches seperatly other wise one pallet could be un-clamped the other one clamped and the m-fin function would would find this exceptable. I tried calling my local HFO, they told me that they would have to check with the factory because what i want to do may be considered altering safety and they dont want to be liable if anything goes wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by serviceman View Post
    on the left side of the io board most of the small connectors are inputs what you have is a sinking logic, basically you have to take a ground wire and short it to one of the inputs and you should see the diagnostic change from say one to zero
    Thank you sir
    i think your on to what im looking for, im going to have to dig into my machine and give that a try

Here is a (possible?) way to do it using the M-FIN and three of the User M functions.

Wire the M-FIN through a relay that is operated by the User M with the circuit going through a switch on the pallet.

The test sequence would be to program the User M then the M-FIN to test for the relay closure. If the pallet switch is open the relay stays open and the machine stops at the M-FIN. If the pallet switch is closed the machine continues and you cancel the User M.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

i have set up a midaco 4 pallet system 2 on either side of the machine it depends what io board you have to know what the input addresses are the inputs for the pallets are already there. there are pin clear and pallet home inputs and there are plenty because haas uses a quad changer. i wired the midaco switches into the existing haas inputs and it did go very well. and it made sense in the end since we were using inputs that were already labelled for pallet changers look at your diagnostics and watch them change and find the connector for the inputs for the pallets it's pretty simple. once you have them the address is simple to figure out
    good luck
    REYTECH Machine Service Corp. CNC repair NY, NJ
    http://www.reytechmachine.com