586,104 active members*
3,262 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 11 of 15 910111213
    MOT 019 is Greek to me. Something to do with a 4th axis, but don't take my word for it.

Heating up a spindle for 30 minutes? There seem to be different schools of thought about that. On my small air-cooled machine (2.5kW) I do maybe 1-2 mins on low, 1-2 mins on medium and 1 min on full working speed without load then I start the job. I understand it is possible to set a delay before spindle starts working, i.e. spindle starts to rotate but a delay of XX number of seconds (with can be a few minutes) prevents machine to actually start cutting. It's certainly possible with a DSP controlled machine and I am pretty sure it can be done with a Syntec as well.

I suppose if the morning temperature at your factory is hovering at just about 0 Celsius you want to give it some extra few minutes. But 30mins???? Never heard of that....
    Norbert

Hi Norbert,

The MOT 19 went off when I connected the 4th axis. And now the screen has X, Y, Z and A. The Y2 is C in my case. I'm not using A but apparently it needs to be connected.

So today, I ran a full cycle of planing a surface (the zero was set somewhere in the middle of the Z travel so it could do no harm and the Spindle set at S0. It ran for over 30minutes very very well. Although now I'm not very happy with one thing, the frame of the machine appears to have a slight twist, very easily measurable by a 1.5m long level. The laser will truly complain. I'm hoping that letting the machine run some cycles every day for a few days, it may help in settling the framework. The twist is perhaps the result of it being welded. That is something that cannot be corrected by mapping. I've got to figure out what to do.

I also need to test the mist cooling system. I need to do a lot of tests. Around how many days do you think I should use the machine before tensioning the servo belts? The QuickCNC folks have a manual tensioning system.

However, for now the machine is running and dying to cut material.

thanks for your feedback,
    N

Hi Nash,

How are things coming along?

I read elsewhere that some operators do indeed warm up the spindle for much longer than I suggested. So maybe you are not far off with the 30 minutes although that still feels like a heck of a long time.

Temperature here rarely drop below 23 Celsius but if it would get as cold at night as by you, I would get an electric heating pad around the spindle and put it on a timer. To preheat it for about 30 minutes before you get to your workshop. That should cut down the actual warming-up time of spindle under power and consequently increase your productive time.
    Norbert

Hi Norbert, I've checked that every thing now works with the machine except the 6th axis disconnect. But Taney has told me that I can disconnect it too. I'm going to try it. Have been under due to some urgent jigs and fixtures that I needed to build. I've just posted a tutorial to connect Syntec to the network. Basically how I did it. Its on the other thread in the Chinese machines that I started. I've got to wait for the full power from the Utility before I can test the machine to its full potential.

Please give me some advice on what type of spoil board do you use, what do you suggest, and what type of grid I should have on the spoil board.

Thanks,
    N

Quote Originally Posted by nash View Post

Please give me some advice on what type of spoil board do you use, what do you suggest, and what type of grid I should have on the spoil board.
    Nash, I am not sure what you mean by grid. Machine/mill the surface of a sheet of MDF to give you a nice even surface. Seal the edges of the sheet.

If by grid you mean drilling a whole bunch of holes in the MDF, you can forget that. Initially I though too that one would have to do that. I mean how can one expect the workpiece to be held down by negative pressure when there is that sheet of MDF in between? But it does, Nash, it really does. Small workpieces, mind you, you will have to attach to a larger piece else you loose too much vacuum around it.

I used 1/2'' MDF and surfaced only 1 side but I read of people milling both sides though I believe they use 5/8'' or even 3/4'' MDF.
    Norbert

Spoilboard

Nash,

I use 19mm MDF and mill both sides. I seal the edges with a water based finish. Works good for me.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by MaNo View Post
    If by grid you mean drilling a whole bunch of holes in the MDF, you can forget that. Initially I though too that one would have to do that. I mean how can one expect the workpiece to be held down by negative pressure when there is that sheet of MDF in between? But it does, Nash, it really does. Small workpieces, mind you, you will have to attach to a larger piece else you loose too much vacuum around it.
    Norbert, Mitch,

Thanks a bunch for your advice. That is exactly what I was worrying about. How can just MDF hold!! Ok, I'll give it a try and see. I still have to wait for another week for the utility here to wake up from hibernation to increase my power.

Nash

Norbert, Mitch,

I still have to wait for another week for the utility here to wake up from hibernation to increase my power.

Nash
    So, how is it going? You must be very busy making dust.....
    Norbert

Nope! :-( :-/

The power is there now, since today, but I've started making a modification to the machine for dust collection :-) :-) :-)

I'll put up some photographs when its done! I need some help in figuring out where to get router bits and whats the longest practical router-bit I can use on a 18000rpm HSD spindle?

I was making a shelf for storing wood and MDF, but ran out of cutting wheels, now am waiting for the ordered wheels to come.

Nope! :-( :-/

The power is there now, since today, but I've started making a modification to the machine for dust collection :-) :-) :-)

I'll put up some photographs when its done! I need some help in figuring out where to get router bits and whats the longest practical router-bit I can use on a 18000rpm HSD spindle?

I was making a shelf for storing wood and MDF, but ran out of cutting wheels, now am waiting for the ordered wheels to come.
    Would be interested to see your modifications....My dust-collecting system is of the average run of the mill type and the little I got to use it, it seems to more than adequate.

What I want to play around with, is the vacuum pump. I haven't given it a lot of thought but I am planning to use the vacuum pump with some type of frame/gantry to lift MDF panel onto the table, so one person can load the table...then divert vacuum to table again. There may be something more suitable but for the suction pads I was thinking of using the PVC toilet flanges with the rubber seals

I will have now plenty of time to think about that since my machine will be shipped back to factory this week. That's a story by itself. I will post it in abbreviated form on the Excitech / Maxicam thread because one can't just get a container to send back a machine...even with permission from factory....
    Norbert

............I need some help in figuring out where to get router bits and whats the longest practical router-bit I can use on a 18000rpm HSD spindle?
    When I ordered my machine I also ordered a few hundred bits (and a sharpener) from these people http://www.djtol.com/ I ordered that many because they where shipped together in the same container as the machines, hence freight was free so-to-speak.

There is someone in Germany selling those same bits but you can also order directly from Djtol. Some pages show prices but they are apparently for people ordering only a dozen or so bits. You will get a hefty discount if you order a few dozens.

The sharpener I got seems to be a replica of the Deckel sharpener sans instruction manual, of course. I am still trying to figure out how to sharpen the ball nose bits. And also the ogees because I can't rotate the collet head enough to sharpen the bits along the inside surface.
    Norbert

Norbert,

I looked briefly at the DJTOL site. They have bits that interest me, but they're rather expensive. I'll try to write to them to find out what discount they will be willing to give. I'll also like to buy the tool grinder.

The exhaust tube extension is almost done. I'll have photographs of it shortly here. Hope that it may help some to make one for yourselves.

Thanks for all the tips.
    N

Nash, I sent you a PM regarding the Djtol bits...If you didn't get it, email me nmajerusatcaribsurfdotcom
    Norbert

Hi David,

It has been a long time posting, but I have a similar problem that you had with the C axis. How did you fix it.

Thanks, Mitch

C axis off

Quote Originally Posted by daviddansky View Post
    Got the c axis problem solved, and many others. Current issue is with the dust shoe comming down and hitting the other tools in the rack. It has happened when the tool changed, and then went almost directly into a x+ movment to the cornor of the bed. I dont know if its an enroute issue or if there is some way to control the hood. The distance for the second y stop is ajusted as far away from tool rack as possiable?
    Hi David,

It has been a long time posting, but I have a similar problem that you had with the C axis. How did you fix it.

Thanks, Mitch

Hi Priestwood and Roctech....

Don't know if either or both you are still following this thread but if you see this post could let me know if you have the info as to which parameter(s) on the Syntec are controlling the full cycling of the ATC?

Up until yesterday I prepared the bits with tool holders beforehand and did the tool changes manually.

Now, when I do my toolpath for ATC, everything works okay except I need to press the START button after each tool. Machine then proceeds to do the correct tool exchange but stops again after that toolpath is completed, waiting for me to press START again before continuing to next tool change.

Anyone else has an idea as to how to correct that?

Thanks
    Norbert

A quick update....

Roctech offered to help but in the meantime I found out that the issue is not directly with the Syntec but with the Aspire post-processor.

Maxicam CNC sent me a test file (toolpath) with tool changes and it ran as it should. No problem whatsoever hence issue is with the post-processor.

Have written to Vectric about it .....
    Norbert

MaNo,

We don't appear to have received any email / information from you?

Please email - [email protected]

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mac View Post
    MaNo,

We don't appear to have received any email / information from you?

Please email - [email protected]

Tony
    Hi Tony, I had no doubt that you would look into the issue had you received the email with the attachment. I know from the Vectric forum that you guys look after us. However, having sent the mail at the close of the week I didn't really expect any reply until this coming week (it's still Sunday here).

Besides, it occurred to me later-on that the file name 'T123.cnc' might give your filters a conniption fit and throw the email into the junk folder.

Will re-send the file but as part of my email.

Thanks.
    Norbert

UPDATE .... Problem solved...

Both Tony Mac at Vectric and Teresa at Maxicam-CNC sent me a new Syntec ATC mm PP modified for running Syntec 900 ME firmware.

Tony's to go with Aspire and, I suppose, for other Vectric products and Maxicam's is for other programs requiring a PP.

Great service!:cheers:
    Norbert

Page 11 of 15 910111213