586,103 active members*
3,612 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Importing SolidWorks Parts to Mastercam
Page 1 of 3 123

Importing SolidWorks Parts to Mastercam

Hello All-

I'm trying to get the coordinate system of a part I've created in Solidworks to align with the Mastercam coordinate system. Basically im trying to get the front plane of the SolidWorks part to align with the top plane of the Mastercam part.

I've discovered the XForm-Rotate command but the selection for the axis I want to rotate the part about is confusing. Is there a way to select an axis to rotate about? I see "Point" is an option but this seems indeterminate.
    I am=

Any suggestions?

The point becomes important when coupled with the CP (Construction Plane.)

Tell me more...... Is it really necessary for me to align the part to the Mastercam coordinate systems to begin with?

To quote gcode from emastercam forum:

~~~~~~~~~~
    In SolidWorks go to Reference Geomtry/Coordinante
    Systems.. use that command to create a WCS
    that matches how you want your model oriented
    in Mastercam.
    The simples way is to create a sketch with
    your X Y axis on the correct plane.
    Save As a parasolid (X_B or X_T)
    In the Save As window, go to Options/Output
    corrdinate systems and select your WCS in the drop down.
    When you import the parasolid, it will be oriented
    correctly in Mastercam
    ~~~~~~~~~~~

HTH
    Lars

I can say it easier, The Top CP in Mastercam is equal to the Front CP in Solidworks.

I'm not sure why Solidworks' top view comes out the front view in other programs. I used to have this issue when I was using Surfcam. I did edit the views in Solidworks once, to get then to match the views of Surfcam. You shouldn't need to do this IMHO.

Having said that, it shouldn't matter how the part comes in relative to the view. You should be able to make a construction plane wherever you want it. Even if you have to sketch some construction geometry to define your view, i.e., two lines that are perpendicular, one of 'em for Y+ and one for X+.

When I first started with cad/cam, I used to translate geometry around to get it pointed the way I wanted. I work in the golf industry, and one day I got a titanium face cup for a driver to machine. I spent some time rotating and tweaking to get all the inside surfaces reachable relative to Z axis. I get things ready to post, and they tell me the part has changed, and here's your new parasolid. Oops!! No more moving stuff.
    Hey, why's it going over there?!!

Cammotion,
    very rare will I get a part in the position I want top to be. being that most of the parts I cut are design in an assembly for aerospace or automotive you typically do not want to move the part. using wcs you can keep the part where it is and relocate the 0,0,0 and the top view to the part you want without relocating the part. I touch this a little in the video I did a while ago. http://www.cad2cam.net/zany.html hope this helps.
    Steve
    www.cad2cam.net
    www.cad2cam.net
    Programmer/ Certified Cam Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Arteman View Post
    Cammotion,
    very rare will I get a part in the position I want top to be. being that most of the parts I cut are design in an assembly for aerospace or automotive you typically do not want to move the part. using wcs you can keep the part where it is and relocate the 0,0,0 and the top view to the part you want without relocating the part. I touch this a little in the video I did a while ago. http://www.cad2cam.net/zany.html hope this helps.
    Steve
    www.cad2cam.net
    Steve,

Most good CAD/CAM software allows you to define multible MCS (machine coordinate systems.)

Cammotion,
    Steve
    www.cad2cam.net
    Hi, Steve

My sentiments exactly. As I said, I stopped moving stuff when I painted myself into a corner that time.

We have some guys in the shop using Mastercam, and they aren't comfortable with the WCS. I watched a guy pick two edges of his part, and then flipped through all the choices that selection gave him, and none of them worked. One of the axis' was wrong on every selection. He finally said enough, and moved the part where he wanted it.

MC is a powerful program, and I know it will do it, but he couldn't get it to do what the wanted that day. Maybe the angle was not quite 90 degrees, I don't know, hence my thoughts of making some construction geometry to hook the WCS to.

Quote Originally Posted by Cammotion View Post
    Hi, Steve

My sentiments exactly. As I said, I stopped moving stuff when I painted myself into a corner that time.

We have some guys in the shop using Mastercam, and they aren't comfortable with the WCS. I watched a guy pick two edges of his part, and then flipped through all the choices that selection gave him, and none of them worked. One of the axis' was wrong on every selection. He finally said enough, and moved the part where he wanted it.

MC is a powerful program, and I know it will do it, but he couldn't get it to do what the wanted that day. Maybe the angle was not quite 90 degrees, I don't know, hence my thoughts of making some construction geometry to hook the WCS to.
    Very true. With NX it's as easy as falling in love.

Ahha, so its more efficient/easier to orient the wcs to the part, rather than the part to the wcs. That makes good sense, especially when there's the chance of a revision that would require the part to be reimported.

Are there downsides to doing it this way rather than bringing the part to the wcs?

If it works no. Rotating the part to the MCS in MC is not the best way to go.

Yeah, I can't think of any reason not to make the WCS where you need it either. You can make a view that's normal to your new cutting plane also.

With the video I did I showed both ways but I usually would not rotate or move the part. I think the guy I as helping at the time asked me how to do it. but there is many different ways to get what you need mcam X2 is much easier to use wcs in than version 9 I don't know about NX it looks as though I'm going to find out soon. The shop I'm working at is talking all UG or Catia and getting rid of Mastercam. Not sure it would be a good thing because all programmers are using Mastercam and I progarm and teach Mastercam.
    Mike are you talking UG nx
    Steve
    www.cad2cam.net

Steve,

Yes I am.

You must use Mastercam too? It looks much more powerful I think nx5 is what we have now.
    www.cad2cam.net

I can't wait to start using it then something new and better is always good. thanks Mike any good tips are welcome
    www.cad2cam.net

I can't wait to start using it then something new and better is always good. thanks Mike any good tips are welcome
    Steve, I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to phase in NX over a set period of time. The reason is that NX does have a fairly steep learning curve. But, if you're going to do it, there has to be a point where you say "we're on NX now". Otherwise, people will stay in their comfort zone and not make the transition. My management told me that if I want to be a full time programmer, I would have to forget about Surfcam and Solidworks, and he slammed that door behind me. I whined to myself for a while about how easily I could do this or that with Surfcam, :violin: but now I know I couldn't go back, unless I had to. How 'bout you Mike, similar experience?

One pretty good resource my company subscribes to is "my i get it". They are pretty reasonable, given the content. Also, there are tutorials that come with NX called CAST (Computer assisted Training) that are pretty thorough.

Anyway, not to hijack the OP's thread! Keep asking, these guys can answer your MC questions!

Cammotion,

Once you see what NX can do you will never go back. I agree with you 100%.

Camotion,
    I have programmed with and taught many different cam systems but Mastercam is the one I know in my sleep. I have not a problem with change like most Mastercam users matter of fact I personally think if some of them don't change or try something else they may be holding the match when the flame hit their fingers kind of like the smartcam people back in the late 90's. I'm looking forward to never looking back and the challege of something ne to learn who knows I may be doing some training videos for nx some day.
    Steve
    www.cad2cam.net
    www.cad2cam.net

Page 1 of 3 123