586,103 active members*
3,750 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Importing SolidWorks Parts to Mastercam
Page 2 of 3 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stevenson View Post
    Cammotion,

Once you see what NX can do you will never go back. I agree with you 100%.
    Mike, you either have me comfused with another poster, or you're not reading me very carefully! I've been on NX for over two years, starting with NX3! Have a good day!
    Hey, why's it going over there?!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Arteman View Post
    Camotion,
    I have programmed with and taught many different cam systems but Mastercam is the one I know in my sleep. I have not a problem with change like most Mastercam users matter of fact I personally think if some of them don't change or try something else they may be holding the match when the flame hit their fingers kind of like the smartcam people back in the late 90's. I'm looking forward to never looking back and the challege of something ne to learn who knows I may be doing some training videos for nx some day.
    Steve
    www.cad2cam.net
    Steve, understood! I wasn't referring to you per se, I though you'd go for it, given your experience. But like you said, not every one has your attitude toward these things. That's why I said some of your programmers might need a "set time" for making the transition. Have a good Monday!
    Hey, why's it going over there?!!

I would also like include for view my old video of WCS and some tool pathing.
    this is a big download but download and unzip and review. hope this helps.
    http://www.mastercam-cadcam.com/sample1.zip
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

So mike what does UG have to do with getting the the right plane in Mastercam. Nothing so I am not sure why we going there.
    if you can help him in MC please do.

Thanks Cadcam
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Quote Originally Posted by Cammotion View Post
    Mike, you either have me comfused with another poster, or you're not reading me very carefully! I've been on NX for over two years, starting with NX3! Have a good day!

I do not have you confused with anyone else. You use NX, I use NX. We are on the same page here.

Cadcam,

thank you, you already did in post #24. good work.

Hi Cadcam,
    I have similar issues with imported .sldprt models and WCS but am unable to see your video linked in #24 for some reason (page not found). If you can repair this link, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Jacob

Sorry Jeb, I usually check my links. #24 posting link working now.
    Cadcam

Cadcam, thanks for great video, but still need help!

Cadcam, I’m a newbie to MasterCam (and to CNC Zone, for that matter) and have found your video (sample 1) on WCS and toolpaths to be very helpful – thanks much for posting it. I’ve managed to get solids (actually trimmed surfaces) from SolidWorks 2007 to Mastercam X2 OK and have followed your video scrupulously while chaining toolpaths – but at end of process, I keep getting the message window “Tool plain must be set to top or off in Entry” and the toolpath is at right angles to the workpiece on the screen. I know my mistake is just a fundamental misunderstanding of something basic, but I just can't see what I’m doing wrong – grateful for any help from you, Cadcam, and from others on the site! Thanks!

If you can share your file I can review and help.
    Cadcam

Cadcam - Here is the file - Thanks!

Cadcam - You will see 2 toolpaths. The first one was one I put in when things were not working out for me. Its a toolpath from top plain (screwy way to machine, but I was just trying to make something work). This worked OK (no messages, toolpath not at right angels to workpiece). Next I tried rotating the WCS and reassigning the c and t plains and datum point to profile a different side. This one didn’t work – got the “Tool plain must be set to top or off in Entry” message and the toolpath is right angles to the surface I’m trying to machine – which is back to the problem I’ve been having.

I’m including the file as requested – as a .ZIP file. Would have responded sooner but took a while to get sorted out, then to download WinZip. Let me know if its not coming thru and I’ll do something else to get it to you. Thanks again for your help – much appreciated!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Your tool and contruction planes looked ok, so all I did was regen toolpath and it came out ok. I removed the first practice path and I added a chamfer toolpath just so you can look at it. I just copied and pasted the contour toolpath and then picked the spot drill to do the chamfer. I also changed the lead-in and lead-out.

BRB, I really did not look at your but took ricky's and changed his.
    I am out of time tonight been along weekend of painting. I will pull yours down tomorrow.
    I adjust this one for how it cut made it bigger stock have done both sides.
    pick all the ops and post you will get two programs with different names and different program numbers.

I also changed the locations of the WCS's to be in the upper left hand corner on both ops but the first one is coming from the over size stock.

So please review.
    Cadcam

Rickyt and Cadcam - thanks!

Rickyt and Cadcam – thanks for the info! Regen toolpath worked – great! I’ll open and study these tonight and tomorrow and look forward to your post tomorrow Cadcam, hope your painting went well. Thanks again Ricky and Cadcam.

Cadcam - still having my original problem - please help!

Cadcam, thanks for adding to Rickyt’s copy of my .MCS file, I’ve reviewed both Ricky’s and yours and learned – but I’m still having my original problem as presented in Post #29 and #31 (which also has the original unedited .MCS file attachment). The message “Tool plain must be set to top or off in Entry” still comes up as I finish the toolpath entry, and the toolpath shows up on the screen at right angels to the workpiece surface. Regen toolpath doesn’t work here. Still can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong. Please help! – Thanks.

Please review my picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails issues.jpg  
    Cadcam

Chaining - get message: “Tool plain must be set to top or off in Entry”

How do I get the WCS and T Plain to “not match” like in OP 1? How does this relate to the message: “Tool plain must be set to top or off in Entry” and having the toolpath show up on the screen 90 degrees off? What am I doing to produce this incorrect result? What are the correct steps I am missing? I can’t see how my steps differ from the ones in Cadcam’s video. Thanks for the help.

well for starters you have the WCS of by 90 deg. so make a new WCS you can use the option of Geo selection for setting a new WCS and pick that top surface. then review the icon that shows the postives of the axis's that you want the part to lay in . if correct select the green check also to set the WCS to the same as the Tplane go in to the op and on the first page lower right hand corner is a button called planes. in there you can expande the list to show WCS,Construcation & tool planes use the joining arrow buttons to push the WCS to the tow other locations.
    Cadcam

Cadcam - almost done.

use the joining arrow buttons to push the WCS to the tow other locations.[/QUOTE]

Cadcam - progress made – almost done. The toolpath at 90 degrees off problem is solved – have the correct orientation for “top” now. But still have “Tool plain must be set to top or off in Entry” message (comes up for toolpaths “contour” and “pocket”, but not for “drill”. “Drill” backplot runs OK.

The Toolpaths for contour and pocket are correctly oriented but will not backplot: they’re apparently not functioning. I get that solved and I’m all set. Please clarify the meaning of the quote and I’ll on my way: I’m in the Plain status bar menu from the bottom of the screen; but I’m not sure how to interpret “joining arrow buttons to push the WCS to the two other locations”. Thanks for the help.

http://www.eapprentice.net/lesson_6.html Review the videos They will teach you everything you need.

Page 2 of 3 123