586,096 active members*
3,378 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Vertical Mill, Lathe Project Log > Archie's first cnc machine Bridgeport R2E4 Boss 9 to Mach 3

Archie's first cnc machine Bridgeport R2E4 Boss 9 to Mach 3

Well I finally took the cable cutters to the cabinets and pulled all of the non essentials out. after attending the mach conference last weekend I could not resist any longer Grin

The plan is to use the original servos and encoders and wire in all the original on board equipment; coolant , oilier, mist unit, adjustment for the vari drives (air driven) and probably have digital speed readout for all the pieces to keep everything in balance. I may find that the vari discs don't get moved much as I plan to run the machine on 220 single phase with a VFD.

The machine did not run for me but I did get it to home and I jogged all 3 axis so the servos, encoders and spindle drive work. at this time I am planning to use Larkin 200 volt drives and CNC4Pc control boards BOB, MODIO and pendant.

New Pictures posted here http://jeep534.smugmug.com/gallery/5...07649501_owpex
    Photo's Current as of april 2008. I am currently working out of town. so it will be a while before I get it up and running.
    I have everything picked out. no small task I might add...... Hopefully some of the bugs will be worked out of the smooth stepper/cnc4pc combo before it comes time to turn this thing up

Happy Hunting
    archie =) =) =)

Archie,

Wow great stuff there. Can't wait to see it up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stevenson View Post
    Archie,

Wow great stuff there. Can't wait to see it up and running.
    Thank You mike. I can hardly wait myself...... I have quite a few projects waiting to be finished =-) some in aluminum and some in steel.. plus a couple to make the mill look and function better.

archie =) =) =)

I'll second that. WOW!!! That is a rigid looking machine. I think there will be a LOT of zoners watching this thread.

Chich

Quote Originally Posted by jeep534 View Post
    Well I finally took the cable cutters to the cabinets and pulled all of the non essentials out. after attending the mach conference last weekend I could not resist any longer Grin

The plan is to use the original servos and encoders and wire in all the original on board equipment; coolant , oilier, mist unit, adjustment for the vari drives (air driven) and probably have digital speed readout for all the pieces to keep everything in balance. I may find that the vari discs don't get moved much as I plan to run the machine on 220 single phase with a VFD.

The machine did not run for me but I did get it to home and I jogged all 3 axis so the servos, encoders and spindle drive work. at this time I am planning to use Larkin 200 volt drives and CNC4Pc control boards BOB, MODIO and pendant.

New Pictures posted here http://jeep534.smugmug.com/gallery/5...07649501_owpex
    Photo's Current as of april 2008. I am currently working out of town. so it will be a while before I get it up and running.
    I have everything picked out. no small task I might add...... Hopefully some of the bugs will be worked out of the smooth stepper/cnc4pc combo before it comes time to turn this thing up

Happy Hunting
    archie =) =) =)

hi, archie my name is jose aguillon check this I have an old bridgeport with a boss 9 and would like to send my part programs dnc but there is an alarm that came up that mention xon or off in port b can help me with the dnc set up

Jose,
    Post that question in this thread.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...highlight=R2E4

Happy Hunting
    archie =) =) =)

Jeep534,

I have the same EXACT machine and I am planning on doing a retrofit as well. I am leaning towards the Viper 200 servos drives. Other than that, I'm wondering how to control the air brake solenoid and the lubrication system. Do you have any ideas?

Also, are you going to have a control pendent with a feedrate overide?

I would be interested on how you are doing on yours. I'm tempted to dish the money out for an Ajax retro but I'm trying to save a little money, and I like the idea of using Mach 3/4.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdiggler View Post
    Jeep534,

I have the same EXACT machine and I am planning on doing a retrofit as well. I am leaning towards the Viper 200 servos drives. Other than that, I'm wondering how to control the air brake solenoid and the lubrication system. Do you have any ideas?

Also, are you going to have a control pendent with a feedrate overide?

I would be interested on how you are doing on yours. I'm tempted to dish the money out for an Ajax retro but I'm trying to save a little money, and I like the idea of using Mach 3/4.
    I just sent you a Pm with my contact info.
    and yes I have a bunch of ideas and would be happy do discuss them with you......

archie =) =) =)

Thanks Archie -

I just sent you a PM with my email address. I'm looking forward to what type of parts you picked out for this beastly machine.

-Kirk