586,103 active members*
3,405 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Name this plastic

I have a Air control valve here, and I need to buy some material to make a bracket for it. It is injection molded for sure. What type of plastic is this so i know what it buy. I plan on using self tapping screws into it.

It is a harder plastic then then the delrin and nylon I have here. Delrin is too soft and elongation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4441.jpg   IMG_4442.jpg   IMG_4443.jpg  

It will be PVC or ABS.

Make your bracket out of aluminum.
    I wouldn't be screwing into the solenoid cover if that is what you are thinking. Those holes down the side are for mounting
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

I was going to use aluminum and some nice machine screws but the screws that my Boss wants to use for cosmetic reasons break off in aluminum (self tapping phillips). Yes I will be also screwing into the top of the solenoid about 3/16" deep right where those dowel pin indentations are on the top. It should be fine. The old version solenoids were like that. I'll find out lol!!!

I think i will try some ABS, thanks.

the screws that my Boss wants to use for cosmetic reasons break off in aluminum
    You need bigger pilot holes.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Yeah I thought about that. I was using almost the smallest size indicated. hmm. Its a number #4, 4-20, 4-24 size screw. Hole size should be wire gauge 44 to 41 i think. .0860" to .0960" OD. I tried it with a 2.2mm(.0866) drill bit and the screw broke off on the second hole. Using some 6061. What do you recommend? using the #41?

Quote Originally Posted by DareBee View Post
    It will be PVC or ABS.

Make your bracket out of aluminum.
    I wouldn't be screwing into the solenoid cover if that is what you are thinking. Those holes down the side are for mounting

Plactic injection PVC or ABS? I don't think so. Those are vacuum formed plastics.

Disagree

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stevenson View Post
    Plactic injection PVC or ABS? I don't think so. Those are vacuum formed plastics.
    There are ejector or vent pin marks on the picture and the corners are too tight for that small of a thermoform part.

I'm guessing it's one of the four. Polystyrene, ABS, or Kydex, or Nylon. Or it could be some sort of fancy polymer. Hard to tell without touching it. Nylon is the only one that won't react to a solvent. Kydex is second. ABS and PS are terrible around acetone and the like. Kydex is easy to work with and heat form so if you need to make a bracket that might be your best bet. they also make the textured sheets (see a 'plastic' gun holster, that's kydex.)

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by warrenb View Post
    ...I'm guessing it's one of the four. Polystyrene, ABS, or Kydex, or Nylon......
    You missed one; Polycarbonate. Personally I think it is unlikely to be Polystyrene, my guess is glass reinforced ABS, Nylon or Polycarbonate and I would put a six pack of beer on the Polycarbonate.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.