586,112 active members*
3,112 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How to handle material in a small shop?

Hi

I’m warming myself up for a new plasma table. I got to doing some thinking and I have no way of handling the material that I would be cutting. Could some of you guys offer me some advice or even post some pics of your shop of how you handle your material from its storage rack to the plasma table. Just keep in mind that I don’t have a huge shop. No room for a forklift. So some sort of gantry system will have to be installed in my shop and the plate more than likely will have to be stored in a rack on its edge against the wall. So if some of you guys are working in similar conditions and have come up with a solution of how to get your plate from point A to point B, I’d like to know.

Chris

What thickness and sizes of plates will you be handling?

I have a large forklift (12K) to get plates off the truck/trailer then have a gantry crane (similar to Spanco, that rolls on inverted angle iron track) The only draw-back is head height... you can figure, depending on hoist configuration, 14" to 30" below beam will be used by the hoist and trolly. Low head room hoist are nice but are very pricey.

Handling plate on edge can be tricky... but with the right plate clamps it won't be bad.
    Just consider lifting height and weight with rigging equipment included(slings, spreader beam, plate clamps, shackles, etc.)

Put in a Jib Crane with a chain fall or electric hoist and use a plate clamp for vertical moving and a magnet for flat moving.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Would an engine hoist do the job? you know the ones mechanics lift your engine out of the car with?
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Quote Originally Posted by ImanCarrot View Post
    Would an engine hoist do the job? you know the ones mechanics lift your engine out of the car with?
    That's what I use to get my plates out of my rack. Of course 11 gauge is the thickest plate I have in 4x8 sheets... and I'm real careful moving them...

John

The engine hoist can be difficult or even scary to use because they often don't roll so good due to imperfections and crap on the floor.
    It is a decent (inexpensive) alternative.
    If you are running a real business I would spend the extra on a good system.
    At a proper charge out rate a good system will pay for itself in saved time and injuries.
    There is no chance I would ever convince my employees to work with the engine hoist on a daily basis.

If I had a for hire shop then I would have proper handling equipment for sure. As a hobby most people won't spend that kind of money except one that I know of... The engine hoist does not scare me one bit... I don't do stupid things with the hoist either... If someone is in my shop and says "here hold my beer and watch this!" I scatter...

John

It will be a fore hire shop and I'm not scared of
    spending a little money but I would like to
    see how people are handling there materiel
    so I can see what will work best for me.

The engine hoist will get it out of the rack
    and to the table but how would 1 guy get a
    4x8 3/8 steel plate on the table with out killing
    your machine or your self?

Our goal is to come home with 10 toes and 10 fingers .
    I second DareBee's opinion.
    We installed a 2T capacity jib crane with an electric hoist for under 5K (Kleton from McMaster Carr). The Jib is easy to install, and it in combination with the electric hoist and a sheetmetal gripper allows 1 guy to load a 4 X 8 X 3/4" sheet.
    ----------------
    Can't Fix Stupid

If you have room in your shop a forklift is the best answer (IMHO anyway). They are self-propelled and untethered so you could use it to unload your material from the delivery truck, place it on a storage rack and when ready use ot to load it onto your plasma table plus all the other uses you'll find for one. None of the other options offer the same flexibility..

No room for a forklift.

Any one have pic's?

One of these may also be of interest as a Forklift alternative.
    http://www.maybury.com/liftruck/Crow...e-stackers.htm

Arrow Table Loading

Quote Originally Posted by TT350 View Post
    Any one have pic's?
    This picture shows one table loading method. (Not mine)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails plastablecrane.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by TT350 View Post
    It will be a fore hire shop and I'm not scared of
    spending a little money but I would like to
    see how people are handling there materiel
    so I can see what will work best for me.

The engine hoist will get it out of the rack
    and to the table but how would 1 guy get a
    4x8 3/8 steel plate on the table with out killing
    your machine or your self?
    The problem you will have is getting the plate from vertical to horizontal without smashing things. A 3/8 4x8 plate weighs 500 lbs. The engine hoist is not the tool for doing that. If you have two hoists and clamp on plate clamps you can lower one while raising the other... If you need something that is portable construct an A frame with an electric hoist on it. Make it wide enough to span your table so when you have the sheet horizontal you can move it onto your machine then lower it to the machine. I would build a spreader beam to hang from the hoist then chains to the plate.

John

The one on the bottom of this page is what I was trying to describe... except it don't need the fancy telescope...

FWIW, we bought a use 3 wheel electric forklift for $1500 it will turn in it's own radius and will lift 4000lbs...

John

Guess it depends on how you store the material. We store it on it's long edge in a simple rack with 2 inch sch#40 pipes as partitions. It takes up minimal space, and it's easy to get the stock in and out. The limitation with a forklift is getting the forks out....you will have to put some blocks underneath, and then use a pinch bar.How would you stack the plates in a rack with a forklift?

regards
    ----------------
    Can't Fix Stupid

Quote Originally Posted by cam1 View Post
    Guess it depends on how you store the material. We store it on it's long edge in a simple rack with 2 inch sch#40 pipes as partitions. It takes up minimal space, and it's easy to get the stock in and out. The limitation with a forklift is getting the forks out....you will have to put some blocks underneath, and then use a pinch bar.How would you stack the plates in a rack with a forklift?

regards
    With a chain and a plate clamp and a fork to boom thingy.

http://www.lkgoodwin.com/more_info/l...g_clamps.shtml

John

To get the plate horizontal from the plate clamp set 1 edge on the floor and lower it onto some some lumber.
    Remove the plate clamp.
    Put your magnetic plate clamp in the middle of the plate and lift it in the horizontal position and set on the table.

Also, Gov't safety regulations must be considered.
    The units depicted in the Avenue link I posted are engineer and/or CSA approved for the load limit listed. Here anyway, we can get huge fines for lifting equipment that is not approved (unless it is for personal use, but if it is at your business, good luck with that).
    It costs me an average of $700 to have any lifting devices I design get a P. Eng. stamp. Records of yearly inspection by a competent person are also required.