586,123 active members*
3,067 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > First Impressions for CNC mini mill conversion

First Impressions for CNC mini mill conversion

I have gotten Ronald Steele DIY plans for converting the HF Mini Mill to a CNC machine. The package is very well laid out and easy to follow, I liked the design of the z-axes and am going to use the design for my machine. The plans are a binded book format with color pictures material list exploded diagrams. The book is 27 pages and all the drawings are clear and well drawn. This conversion uses the machine to make the parts for the conversion and utilizes all existing screws for the x and the y axis. I ordered some of the parts for the z-conversion and it was very cheap, I would estimate a z conversion to cost around 50-100 bucks for the mechanical parts. The manage does give CURRENT locations to find all the items needed to complete, No windows hard to find parts here. So I would recommend this to anyone that wants to get they mill converted to CNC!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2353.gif  

He has a banner running on the site but here is the link anyway- http://www.stirlingsteele.com/millplans.html

I completed the z-assembly and will post some pictures. The parts fit perfect and the plans were correct BUT their are a few thing I changed because I found the design to be a little weak. Mind you that the changes I made can not be done unless you have access to a big milling machine.

Quote Originally Posted by CNCadmin
    I have gotten Ronald Steele DIY plans for converting the HF Mini Mill to a CNC machine. The package is very well laid out and easy to follow, I liked the design of the z-axes and am going to use the design for my machine. The plans are a binded book format with color pictures material list exploded diagrams. The book is 27 pages and all the drawings are clear and well drawn. This conversion uses the machine to make the parts for the conversion and utilizes all existing screws for the x and the y axis. I ordered some of the parts for the z-conversion and it was very cheap, I would estimate a z conversion to cost around 50-100 bucks for the mechanical parts. The manage does give CURRENT locations to find all the items needed to complete, No windows hard to find parts here. So I would recommend this to anyone that wants to get they mill converted to CNC!
    How large a stepper motor does he recommend? Does he use different sizes on differnt axis? Does he give sources for the motors?

Bill

Yes he does give sources and has provisions for 23 frame and 34 frame motors. Motor are very easy to find their are many on this site for sale.