586,630 active members*
2,517 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lan without internet

My Camsoft mill control computer crashed and burned

I had a horrible terrible awful time getting Galil, Camsoft, and I/O card drivers all working and playing well together. So, I cloned the working hard disk four times. I learned my lesson, the other Camsoft control is getting cloned multiple times before I ever turn it on again.

The root cause of my trouble is internet access on my CNC control where its just not needed. Two simple questions, I don't want to install updates or virus software. The computer nags constantly for these to be turned on. How can these nags be disabled?

Now for the more difficult issue. I'd like to be able to download Gcode files from this computer (on the internet). I'd like to also backup .cbk files from the control to this computer. But I want no way for any internet access to the control computers. Right now, I have a DSL modem connected to a router, and a peer to peer lan through out the place - seven computers total. How can this be accomplished? (I'll leave the two control machines disconnected and use sneaker net for now)

Karl

You might be able to use two network cards in your office computer. Use one for internet, and one to connect to your machines. Basically two separate networks. That's what I do here. But my machines run DOS, so I'm not sure if they could access the intrernet, although i don't think so.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Karl,
    If you are running WinXP, then I think you can configure stuff under control panel/windows firewall and perhaps turn off the nag. Also, turn off or reschedule windows update in control panel.

I'm still running Camsoft on Win98, and on that PC, I did not even install IE when I installed windows. That will keep the darn thing off the internet However, I do have it running ok on the local LAN and can transfer files from another PC which does have internet access. I'm not sure if something like that would work for you.

You're right, I would never want any AV crap running in the background when the machine is running. Most antivirus programs can be configured to never scan your drive, and that is the setting I would use. That way, I would say when to do the scan.

Also, turn off the AV auto update feature, if it is there. Come to think of it, I don't know what AV you could run without internet access, but perhaps you could virus scan a remote computer through your LAN. That I have never tried.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Yes you can AV scan remotely. Just map the remote computer's hard drive into a computer that has AV software... then whenever you want scan that drive through the network.