586,103 active members*
3,799 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > We Want Your Feature Requests
Page 5 of 5 345
    Quote Originally Posted by LenMcC View Post
    I was trying to get around this by drawing a line off the parts in both x directions, so I could set the bridge to .5, and the line length would be (actual_dimension - bridge_dimension)/2_parts, so (1.3-.5)/2. I thought that was clever, but BobNest only recognizes closed shapes, it seems, so no dice..
    Len...I'm totally ignorant of Bobnest but I'll throw this out there.
    Instead of just a single line, could you draw 2 lines .001" apart and connect them at the outer end and trim them into your shape so that it does form a closed shape?

Better help files

I would like to see help files that are more extensive, and linked to whatever function you are using i.e. when you right click have a help file link that opens automaticly and deals with that particular function and gives you a "complete" explanation not just a definition.

Maybe I am doing something wrong but I have a part it is round 6" and it doesnt matter what I try bobcad always cuts from a square. My stock is round 6.1. I have tried several times to define the stock geometry as the outside edge of the part but it always makes a square?

The intergrated Verify , ( in the cam tree ) , only shows square stock , If you need to see custom stock shapes you will need the upgrade of predator virtual ,, then what ever you draw and define will show as stock

Firstly I'll say, I'm a very happy Bobcad user. It's not perfect, but I've had no problems generating and using tool paths for anything I've wanted to do, though I'm just doing pretty simple 2/3 axis milling (and I'm a n00b, which I'll probably demonstrate in my following requests).

Feature requests:
    - I'd like the verification to use a proper 3d model that can be manipulated once the verification is complete (so you can see it from different angles), as at the moment you can kind of move it around a bit, not very well.

- I prefer to work from Solid models (as this is what I'm used to), but almost none of the geometry of any imported 3d solid model can be used with any 2-axis milling operations. It would be great if edges and faces from imported 3D models could be used as geometry for 2-axis milling ops.

- For milling circles/ other 2d shapes with multiple passes it would be nice to be able to mill downward in a spiral rather than doing circle plunge, circle plunge etc till it's done.

- Options other than plunge entry would be nice - spiral or slope etc.

- Ability to select climb mill option in every milling op would be good. (often have to muck about with contours to achieve this, which works but wastes time)

- To help n00bs like me, A feeds & speeds suggestion or calculator for various materials (woods, plastics, metals).

I have to mention and agree with others that a change in sales practice is needed. I realised their style from the beginning, and did not give in to buying more than I needed. However, they did not inform me that the V22 I was purchasing had none of the decent 3-axis milling options that were in the demo, though I was clear that I wanted to use them. They then wanted more money for the Pro upgrade that they didn't tell me I'd need, so I've had to work around it.

Still, there is no better option on the market at this price, and I have had very few problems other than the disappointment about being miss-sold the product.

Have you installed the latest update? There are different entry types for pockets.

Also, contours are the way to handle climb vs. conventional milling for profiles. Then you choose calculated offset or cutter compensation, left or right.

Solid models can be broken into edges by the "Utilities -> Extract Edges -> From Solid" menu path. And surfaces can be unstitched from solids via the "Utilities -> Stitching -> Unstitch Solid to Surfaces" menu path.

I hope this helps.

Steve

Did the latest update fix the major problems with V22?
    Are most of the people with major complaints now satisfied?
    Business is still very slow for me, so the upgrade expence is not justifiable. I would like to follow the progress this program though, when business does pickup I might upgrade.

"I have to mention and agree with others that a change in sales practice is needed. I realised their style from the beginning, and did not give in to buying more than I needed. However, they did not inform me that the V22 I was purchasing had none of the decent 3-axis milling options that were in the demo, though I was clear that I wanted to use them. They then wanted more money for the Pro upgrade that they didn't tell me I'd need, so I've had to work around it."

...Same here. I was told I was getting a version that had all the mill options but no lathe. The package I received had lathe and mill, but can't do all the fancy 3-D milling.

Still learning how to compensate:P

That last bit about extracting edges is golden info

Since the downloading the patch, I have not noticed much difference in performance. Still must save every couple of minutes and had to learn which crashed were reboot worthy and which were only close the program worthy.

I still get what I need to done with it.

I have now installed the update, and it seems good, there are some more options, I'll have to check them out.

So I was correct about my n00bness... that really is Golden info about extracting edges and faces from imported solid models, thanks Steve, very helpful.

Some advice for when people apply the patch - restart your computer afterwards. I was fiddling with post processors & g-codes for a bit wondering what on earth was going on till I did this. A simple 'please restart your computer after installation' dialog would have been a simple time saving feature for the update.

Lathe Part off.

Bobcad,
    I was wondering if maybe on the next patch you could look at the Parting Off option in V22 Lathe mode. It does not work at all.
    Thanks,
    Bryan

Page 5 of 5 345