586,062 active members*
4,884 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > We Want Your Feature Requests
Page 1 of 5 123

We Want Your Feature Requests

For those of you that have used BobCAD-CAM software; V21 & V22, we want to know specific machining features that you would really like to see. Let us know.
    Sincerely,
    BobCAD-CAM Development TEAM

The ability to choose something other than plunge on Z-level rough (linear ramp, zig zag ramp, helical ramp, etc).

The ability on 3D paths to choose to start the cutter on or off the material.

The ability to choose a boundary for Z-Level finish like the way a boundary can be chosen for Equidistant finish.

Concerning material entry, an option that would allow ramping to successive z-levels rather than rapid to the R plane and feed down again. This could be for both 2D and 3D paths.

On the lathe side, a way to create your own tools and use them rather than only being able to select the generic ones. (maybe this can already be done?)

Some form of variables in the post setup for both mill and lathe.

A way to do multiple start threads without drawing more geometry if this is possible.

I will think of more and post them when I do.

Thanks

Options for material entry in a 3D part, Ramp in would be nice, or the ability to choose the place of the plunge

Z finish that will address surfaces other than verticle

Matt

I will limit this to new features desired and NOT current features that still need bebugged to work correctly.

1. RAMPING IN Z LEVEL ROUGHING

2. BRING BACK SCRIPTING

3. Allow option of climb milling in 3D paths.

4. Filter interpolated segments back into arcs where possible.

5. Enable a tool list in Gcode file that matches the actual tool numbers used.

6. Bring back the Move to Z Level feature that was in previous releases.

7. For Equidistant Offset and Z Level Finish, make the step-over/down points progressive. When the cutter completes it's lap around, it would continue past the previous downfeed point before feeding to next level. This would make the cutter marks less obvious than always feeding down at same point.

8. Allow a continuous Z down feed while profiling, e.g Select profile and say you want to continuously ramp down .1" per pass until Z depth is reached. This eliminates need to pre-drill start holes.

That's it for now.

moldmker

CNCdude,

Really dude, how about doing a search for Bobcad here on the forum and addressing your customer public relations nightmare? No one is happy here.

Smile Just a few small things

1. Need the ability to set the peck depths for peck drilling instead of have the software calculate it based on the bit size to hole size ratio. I use a 1/2" bit to drill a 1/2" hole in plastic, I need to use the peck function to break the chips so it doesnt wind around the bit and rub the surface of the hole causing a ugly mess. I have to fool the software and tell it to drill using a 1/8" bit to get the peck function to work now, then the program nc file has to be changed to show a 1/2" bit for future reference.

2. The predator verify window should have the ability to extend the size maximize.

3. When canceling or changeing to another funtion in the data cam tree the pointer should default to the select mode. I have to go up and select the select mode a thousand time a day.

1. Need the ability to set the peck depths for peck drilling instead of have the software calculate it based on the bit size to hole size ratio. I use a 1/2" bit to drill a 1/2" hole in plastic, I need to use the peck function to break the chips so it doesn’t wind around the bit and rub the surface of the hole causing an ugly mess. I have to fool the software and tell it to drill using a 1/8" bit to get the peck function to work now, then the program nc file has to be changed to show a 1/2" bit for future reference.

2. The predator verify window should have the ability to extend the size maximize.

3. When canceling or changing to another function in the data cam tree the pointer should default to the select mode. I have to go up and select the select mode a thousand times a day.

This is my first post and I would take a moment and say I do like the new v22 at first I did not care for the cam part tree and I thought it was cumbersome and difficult to use but now that I have learned how to use it, it saves me a lot of time. Making small changes to a dwg are much simpler and much quicker updating the code (much much quicker than v21). I do still get an occasional crash but not nearly as much as I did when I first got it. I believe a lot mine might have been caused by to many impatient keyboard inputs, but now since I have learned how to use the software they have been drastically reduced.
    Overall I am very satisfied.

1. The abillity to turn off tip compensation in drill and tapping cycles.

2. An actual tool library that is usable. This software (using the term very loosely) just keeps creating drills when they already exist in the library.

3. When doing a center drill operation, actually reading the depth for cut from the field that I enter the depth of cut in. This software want to take the diameter and divide it by 2 to get the depth on a center drill cycle. WTF? This is not really a new feature, it just pisses me off.

4. What Tobyaxis and Mike Stevenson said.

5. The ability to offset an arc the same way we offset a line. Just click on it and pick a side instead of havig to offset a contour and going thru all those steps.

I too was impressed with this software after attending the classes. For the money and what it was capable of it was a good deal. After purchasing and updating, this is one of the biggest pieces of crap I have had to deal with. It is literally faster for me to just use the sofware to get points and hand program it, than it is to go thru all the steps to make a program and then go in and edit the code. Not satisfied at all. I can't wait for the new patch next week. I really hope it is worth the wait.

Not to be too much of a smart-ass, but shouldn't you worry more about fixing this version than what new ops we may want later? I am just asking.

Having been a long time user of Bobcad. I will not even think about spending any more money on any upgrade. Untill it has been out for six month without major issue. Bobcad really blew it with this release this time.

Put your torches away!

HMB3000, if you have an axe to grind, grind it with ME either in person or on the phone. I started this thread with the intention of keeping it productive and on track. We don't need any more garbage up here. Keep it on subject, or keep it shut. If you have a request or a problem related to BobCAD-CAM that you need help with, you call me (Chris Corbell)at 877-262-2231 so that we can get it resolved. Keep it on subject.

CNC Dude

I'd like to have the 4th axis use that sales said this software had when I purchased it. Peck drilling to work on the lathe module, special tooling to work on the editor and vcnc like it used to before the last update. Basically I think V22 is a great leap for Bobcad and I really like the software, I just wish you would get all the bugs fixed and put in everything that should be in there. oh, I would also like to be able to use slice planer in two operations with the second operation already knowing what the first operation has removed for material, that would be a big help to me.

Dave

Thought of 1 more

I would like to see a dynamic zoom with the mouse wheel. As it is now you can zoom in and out, but only on middle of the drawing. With a dynamic zoom, have it zoom in on the cursor location. The only example I can give is the OMAX Waterjet software. If any of you have run this you will know what I mean. It really helps you get around a file quickly.

Thank you - keep'em coming!

Thank you. There are some very good posts here that are productive and important. Our development team is keeping track of this thread and all requests are being documented for implementation. Please continue...

CNC dude

Quote Originally Posted by CNCdude View Post
    HMB3000, if you have an axe to grind, grind it with ME either in person or on the phone.......
    CNC Dude
    My ax is with Bobcad as a company....Like it or not Chris Bobcad released a almost useless version with V22. You don't need a thread here for user imput. you can read your own forum for that.
    I will not upgrade to any new product released by bobcad untill it has been out for a few month. I will also not recommmend to anyone that they buy V22 untill the issue are fixed.
    Even if you had V23 ready to release today. I would not even give you $10 for it. But if in six month it works I would be happy to pay $500.
    The money V22 has cost me in time (editing) broken tools and wasted parts V22 was the worst puchase I made in 2007 for my shop.

So: deleted my response on the other thread...clean this one too!

I got tired of the out of date telemarketing pressure tactics that BobCad uses to try to sell it's products.I'll never purchase another product from them.

Just because you don't like what you read, it is rude to squash free speech by deleteing threads.

You could have clued in a while ago that you had some unhappy customers.

CNCdude: are you in any way finacially connected/motivated by BobCad?

thought so.

We're not going away just because you don't like what people have to say about your product and your sales tactics.
    ----------------
    Can't Fix Stupid

I understand

Gentlemen,
    I understand how you feel and the emotions of it all. However, this thread has to do with "feature requests" not upsets about things you disagree with. (wrong)

While we are close to releasing a patch for the software, we are also adding functionality that are enhancements without cost to any user. This is something that we didn't have to do but wanted to do anyway to make the software more usable and more powerful for YOU.

CNCdude

Wow, all of that for free? Well my feature request is a simple one. BETA TESTING. You know, here is a program, please test it for us. Then you fix the mistakes. Then you BETA TEST the fixes, then once it ACTUALLY works, you sell it. Simple really.

The idea of Microsofting a program only works when your name is Bill Gates. If there were as many choices for operating systems as there are for CADCAM it wouldn't work for him either.

CNCDude - While I sympathize with your intent to limit this thread to "feature requests", it seems to be an abuse of moderator power that you delete posts that you may not wish to appear here.

I'm a HAPPY BobCAD v22 user, but I think your actions are inappropriate.
    Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD

Face the music: So, you undersand how we feel? Why did you remove the other Post?
    1.Man up and let people talk freely without interfering, it's free feedback.
    2.Deal with the unhappy customer(s). Be creative. Most people want to feel like someone truly cares.

You will not make the problems that you created go away by censoring what people have to say about your product. The best PR you will get is if you fix the problem you created for the guy that had legitimate beefs about your company. If you win him over (by refunding him) you will have generated some good will.

Just stop trying to manipulate the feedback with cheap transparent tactics like "this is the wrong thread".
    ----------------
    Can't Fix Stupid

operator's manual

How about including a REAL operator's manual, not the brief user's guide that you have now which only covers a few wxamples of basic operations. Make it all inclusive and cover in detail each function and parameter encountered in your software. The "online " help is next to useless for many features and there are many items/parameters not even mentioned in "help".

If this is done in an appropriate manner I suspect your calls to tech for basic questions will evaporate overnight.

Robin A

Good point

Cam1: I see your point. It has been a while since I have been up here and simply saw things becoming wicked. One person starts it and others jump on the bus even when they aren't even your customer. I made an attempt to stop the nastiness. Right, wrong or indifferent in my ways, you need to understand that the BobCAD-CAM organization does care. And for the record...You have a voice and yes, you can use it. How about you use it on the phone with me?? You have every right to expect good results from a CAM system that you pay for. I agree that if you offer a product, it had better work.
    Tikka308: Thank you for your point of view.
    MrWild: We have a list of testers. Maybe you could help us in this area. If you are interested, please let me know.
    Rardoin: We have started production on a large book for our systems. This is in production. I appreciate your request and we will be providing this in the future. We did this on the last series of systems and dropped it on V22. That was a mistake. I'll admit it and we are correcting that. Maybe, we could provide you with some other form of training in the interim. Please let me know.

CNC Dude

Page 1 of 5 123