586,103 active members*
3,819 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > OneCNC > Is there ANY way to trial XR3?

Is there ANY way to trial XR3?

I am looking for a cad/cam package and onecnc is definately on the list of those I would like to try, but it seems a demo for xr3 is not available.

It would be great to be able to log in to the user forum and see what other users are up to, but this is not possible either.

So what am I supposed to do? just buy it and hope it does what I need????

I downloaded xr2, but by the time I got around to trying it, and finding out about the whole vista/XP compatibility thing, the trial had run out......

Cool XR3 Trial

Hypertune,

Hello, from what I understand, you can receive a 30 trial from OneCNC. I am not sure how this is set up but I believe that a 30 day trial is available.

Regards
    HemiCuda

no trial for XR3. They sent some videos of features, etc., you can see them on their website, and offered a "demo" over the net with a rep to go over anything I might want to specifically see.

You can ask for an extention on your XR2 demo and see what that looks like. I did the same thing, downloaded then didn't get back in time.

Hyper,

It would be nice to have an XR3 demo available. A couple of years ago I emailed OneCNC and got read-only access to the forum for 30 days so maybe they will do the same for you.

I still don't see why they don't make at least read-only access available to the public at large. I might have switched from my present CAM software by now if they had.

Mike

Yes, If a demo or access to the forum were readily available I don't doubt it would help their sales.

For now, I'm looking elswhere........

So what am I supposed to do? just buy it and hope it does what I need????

That's what I did in 2003 Mike.

Not speaking for OneCNC at all hear, just my own thoughts.
    While trial versions sound like a great idea, they would require support just as if it was purchased, this support has to be paid for in terms of added personal, this additional expense would only cost new purchasers more money for the software and existing users more money for up-grades to new versions. Perhaps additional sales would offset this cost, then again maybe not. Personally I do not like the idea of having to pay so someone can have a free demo :nono:

It sounds as if you are one of the "serious" but how many hundreds out there would only have a passing interest with no real intention to purchase at all.

Mike,
    The opening up the forum publicly has been discussed, while that decision is under corporate control and not up to the forum to decide, the consensus is to keep it private to OneCNC purchasers only, which I agree.

OneCNC also, has a 30 day satisfaction guarantee, still in effect I am sure, but you can ask them, during this time you would have full forum access and full phone support access.

Ken

There is a trial of XR3.

Try going to their website and filling out the page called "EVALUATE". That's what I did and now for the next week,because one week is up, I can log onto their server and play with Mill Pro all I like - I just can't post any code to see what it looks like or bring in any of my own drawings.

That's how they do it now - online. I'll be honest, it's lags a little bit when you click on icons and such, but you can get the idea. I just don't know why people don't see this on the site - once again - YOU CAN DEMO IT!.

Now for my honest opinion, I don't really care for it. I have done a very little bit of playing around with M/C and S/C at previous jobs but OneCNC, I guess, is kind of lost on me a bit. I don't think it's a bad program or not capable or anything like that...it just doesn't "feel" right to me if that makes sense to anyone.

I'm not looking to buy anything today, tomorrow, or maybe even this year, but I do want to know what's out there when I am ready to buy though.

OneCNC seemed like a good option from what I've read and thought I'd give it a shot, but I'll most likely stick to one of the big 3 when the time comes.

Take my opinion for what it's worth - a lot to me, but not as much as yours is to you.

-Sean

Ken,

Not sure if you were replying to me (Mike) or Hpertune but I'll respond to a couple of points.

While trial versions sound like a great idea, they would require support just as if it was purchased,
    My first attempt at 3-D CAD was through a trial version and a week after running through the tutorials I bought the product. I was able to make that decision without ever seeking or getting technical support. That may not be the norm but it does happen at least once in a while.

The opening up the forum publicly has been discussed, while that decision is under corporate control and not up to the forum to decide, the consensus is to keep it private to OneCNC purchasers only
    I can understand why neither OneCNC management nor legitimate owners would want non-owners writing messages on the forum, but what is the objection to read-only access for non-owners?

I'm not exactly sure why, but that policy makes me a little leary of the company. For the month or so that I did have access I was pretty impressed with the capability of the product and the willingness of members to share their knowledge. I might well have bought OneCNC while in the midst of some very frustrating periods with my current CAM software if forum access had not been revoked. That batch of problems is over now, though, so the point is mute unless a fresh batch of problems presents itself.

I agree that the 30-day guarantee is a good thing, but I'm just one of those folks that doesn't like to plunk down serious money unless I'm pretty sure I'm making a long-term committment.

Hope that doesn't sound too argumentative, they're just my opinions.

Mike

Sean,

While you may be all reve'd up for buying one of the big three when the time comes, be prepared to $$$$$ out. OneCNC while it may not "Feel" right, only takes a few minutes for an experienced CAM user to generate usable code.

It is different. but not to the extent of MC vs Gibbs differnt!
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

Just ordered Solid Edge and NX Cam express (3D mill + turn)

Expensive, but there is no question it will do everything I need and more. The CAD side of things is the main reason for my decision. I think Solid Edge is probably the best CAD product on the market (within reason) and I'm sure you can't go wrong with NX cam.

Sean,

While you may be all reve'd up for buying one of the big three when the time comes, be prepared to $$$$$ out.
    Don't I know it

-Sean

Where could I get a trial of XR2? I would like to run a few projects on it.