586,052 active members*
4,357 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > DO I need LIMIT SWITCHES or E-stop??

DO I need LIMIT SWITCHES or E-stop??

HI guys,
    I am currently building a homemade CNC mill from scratch and am learning quiet a bit on all aspects. I have retrofitted 3 axis from unused equipment with step motors controlled by a micro driver. I am using KCAM, and just last night downloaded MACH3.

I was curious as to if I need limit switches or not. I noticed that in KCAM you can tell the computer how long each axis is, which I figured would be the equivalent of having limit switches. Do I still need limit switches or E-stops, and why?

THANK YOU

MAX

Hi Max. Welcome to the Zone!

With Steppers, You can probably live without limit switches, because a stepper will just stall, and not burn up like a servo will. And "soft limits" like you describe are also available in Mach3. However, you MIGHT want some Home switches.

E stop is a completely different thing. You NEED Estop, because the one switch disables all mill movement in an emergency. You also could benefit from a Charge Pump--which disables the steppers if windows goes a little crazy.

CR.

drive bumper cars ?
    Drive a real one without breaks?
    Even with steppers stalling depends on the momentum, will wreck the
    machine.
    Just a thought.

E-Stop is essential. There's different opinions where to put it- on one of my lathes it's high up which I think is wrong. On my other lathe it's near the floor... which is where you will be if things go "bang"- you automaticaly duck.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Consider this. If you have an error in your NC and you run it for real you could potentially damage an expensive tool and loose the workpiece. So investing in a 3 switches really pays for it but it wont make your NC flawless
    Besides how hard is to hookup 3 normaly closed switches to XYZ limit pin.

Konstantin.

Most controller boards have limit and e-stop connections so might as well use them. Ive seen e-stops for around $10 for the traditional type of red button swich, and limit switches for $2 from enco (get the light duty ones, no need for the 10A limits unless you have some really weird cnc controllers)