586,307 active members*
3,702 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Wedge Cutting Jig

I need to make myself an assortment of different sized wedges so im looking to build a jig. The jig needs to be adjustable to make wedges with a rise from 1/2" to 4" all 6" long.
    I would like to make something to fit my table saw anyone have any suggestions or pictures of examples.
    Anything would be a help thanks
    I'm not lazy..., I'm efficient!
    HAAS GR-408

Your table saw probably has a guide thingy that runs in a slot in the table and has a cross bar that can be adjusted to different angles. It probably has a proper name but after two pints of beer and half a bottle of wine my brain is not up to remembering it.

Get out your trig tables, or calculator, and figure out the angle that corresponds to the rise you want and use this guide.

You may have to make some sort of extender for the really acute angles.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I can't blame you for not knowing, its called a miter gauge and I have tried it and it just dose not work for such long cuts on such a small piece of wood
    HAAS GR-408

If you search here http://www.woodworking.org/InfoExchange/ you will find many examples of building a wedge cutting sled for the tablesaw. They are pretty simple and effective.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by automizer View Post
    I can't blame you for not knowing, its called a miter gauge and I have tried it and it just dose not work for such long cuts on such a small piece of wood
    I did say you might need to make an extender.

As fatal-exception suggests build a sled that uses the miter gauge for alignment. Or build and adjustable sled that either has its own key to run in the guide slot in the table or against the rip fence.

As I was typing I realised you should be able to use pins running in the guide slot and if your sled had a variety of hole positions you would get all your tapers just by using different pairs of holes.

Your sled could be as simple as one piece of plywood with a notch to hold the wedge and a lot of holes.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

thanks guys I have a few ideas now that I like. I will put up a pic when its done
    HAAS GR-408

Dear automizer,

Just make sure that the wedge, when cut free, does not jam against the blade. Things happen a bit quickly if it does....

Fine Woodworking has a whole load of designs for jigs of this type.

Best wishes,

Martin

I forgot to say that if you Google

"taper cutting jig"

you will get a lot of good stuff too.

BW

Martin

martinw thank you for your concern, I plan to make this a full plater jig so there will be nothing to bind. I took a board to the chest in high school so I am very aware of what happens and how fast it happens.
    HAAS GR-408

Dear automizer.

Ouch!

Yes, when it does go wrong, it is a bit quick.

I never quite worked out why I had a huge two month bruise on my top inner thigh from a kick-back. I was two inches lucky.

Best wishes,
    Martin