586,100 active members*
3,113 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Which OS works best with Camsoft?

I'm getting ready to build a new system for my Camsoft machine. I have several options for operating systems. I'm wondering which system works the best with Camsoft? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I've used 98 - good, ME - bad, and XP - good. I'm not trying Vista. looks like MS bloatware, nothing there for a cnc control except trouble.

I prefer XP at this point for features outside of the control. You can't have a virus program running while you're using the machine and you can't have it downloading updates either.

I migrated away from '98 because of issues with USB, DVD drives, large hard disks etc. In general, you can't expect driver updates on a dead OS.

There used to be a section in the Camsoft manuals saying they preferred '98 and another section showing how to get better real time performance with XP. It may have been pulled, I don't remember coming accross it in quite a while.

Karl

Clip from Camsoft manual:

QUESTION 136
    Do you recommend running the controller on the Windows NT, 2000, XP or Vista Operating Systems?

While the Windows NT, 2000, XP and Vista operating systems are acceptable platforms for the CAD/CAM system, running the system on a Windows 98SE or ME machine has tighter control over the user interface. The controller will run on an NT, 2000, XP and Vista machine but we just want to pass on what we have experienced so far. We originally thought that NT, 2000, XP and Vista were the better choices, as did everyone else, except the features that make NT, 2000, XP and Vista different are the features that cause our timing sensitive loops to sometimes miss their mark. The reason this is happening is because the NT, 2000, XP and Vista operating systems completely and equally share the CPU time between all running applications in a true multitasking mode. Even if you think that you do not have another application simultaneous running with the controller, Windows NT, 2000, XP and Vista briefly go into a housekeeping mode from time to time thus causing the controller to share the CPU time with other applications or Windows itself, which may mean a degradation in performance when it is really needed. Windows XP and Vista help overcome this situation by allowing the user to right mouse click on the CNC.EXE program in the Task Manager and set its priority to Realtime or High.

Karl T
    Thank you for your help. I setup my system with XP. I won't know for awhile how well it will work, I still need my control board. Any suggestions on a board?

Right now Windoze XP is the defacto standard for most CAD/CAM software.

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    Karl T
    Thank you for your help. I setup my system with XP. I won't know for awhile how well it will work, I still need my control board. Any suggestions on a board?
    I really need to know your application for good advice. In general the Galil PCI 18x0 cards are the best. Where x is the number of axis you control, don't forget its awful handy to have an axis for your spindle. There is also the Galil 18x2 cards but you lose the auxilliary encoder on each axis.

Cheapskates (me) buy used Galil cards on eBay. In that case the 17x0 cards are a great deal but you need an ISA slot computer.

Camsoft is now selling a new less expensive card. I have no knowledge of it. They also have a very inexpensive stepper only card.

karl

[QUOTE=Karl_T;470540] In general the Galil PCI 18x0 cards are the best.

That's the one I was planning on, Thanks!