586,117 active members*
3,444 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Power Draw for a complete Joes?

I am wondering what the power draw is going to be for a complete joes system when running. The reason I ask is I live in an apartment complex and there is only 1 20 amp circuit for 7 garages. I am worried about power draw and blowing breakers. I have 2 24v 6.5A power supplies for 3 keling 425oz motors, the computer power supply is 500 watts, I will be getting the hitachi router that is pretty standard for joes design. I will probably have a vacuum of some kind as well.

What does your Joes draw?

Hmmmmmm, very good question, i really never paid attention to it or measured it, I am not an electrician so i do not know how to really measure it, I know all mine run off the same circuit with a 20amp breaker.

One thing i would ensure is that the system has a brand new breaker, especial if it is running the whole series of garages, Are the Garages attached to the building or far away, Can you Stretch an extension cord out to it to separate the D/C and Router from the Computer and Controller System.

Joe

Use an Ampmeter to determine current draw. As you are routing a piece of material
    the Amperage will increase according to machine load. How fast you are cutting, concerning feed rate and how hard the material is that you are milling.

Load will make a big difference in draw espically with the router. The router says it can draw 11 amp..... that is a ton.

But we do not use the router to its limits, we cut materials in step downs, allot of routers are made to plow through material when you use it ad a base router, but we use it in machines and do not want all the cutting forces on our machines so not much strain is put on the router itself or our router for that matter with our cutting parameters.

hope this makes sense, this is another reason i probably just get but on a 20amp braker. (which i really should not do)

joe

I am fairly certian the system will probly pull less than half of everything, hopfully...

That is the problem with apartment living. You have to just deal with what you are given. They (maintenance guys) said they "think" my garage building (My two garages and 4 others) are on a 20 amp circuit. So that gives me about 15 to play with. They really don't even know where the breakers are for my building. There isn't any changing things out. I am in pretty good with Maintenance but they are not terribly sharp. Everything is pretty much done by contractor unless really simple.